Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snake skin

Reaction score
hey as my title says im a beginer and have never owned a snake/long living lizard, i have had a few skinks and stuff but nothing really exciting:| .

what i would like to know is what a good beginer snake would be (by beginer i mean cheap, docile and easy to care for).

also i would also like to know equipment and license costs and a bit of other info about caring for snakes.

thanks,
snake skin

scrub python, good beginer snake.
you'll learn pretty quick anyway!

what state you in?

Your location state, would be usefull, enclosure size's, size of snake etc need more details to give you a better idea on what is available

most people will recomend you, childreni's, bredli's stimson's.
Depends on what state you are in for the licenses. QLD's is $58.30.

Well why don't you just suggest an inland tiapan whiteyluvsrum LOL, a Scrub python would not make a good first time snake.

yes, it was just a joke. dont get a srub python for first.
i dont know why i got one for my first python!
i got the biggest and worked my way down!

lol yeah definitely not scrubby i would say az ashleigh said a stimson or childrens or coastal are pretty good begginer plus it dependsif u want a big snake coastal grow big but childrens only grow to bout 100 cm i hope this helped!
tebzZzz

hey, there really is no perfect first snake. my first snake was a childrens python and she was very snappy. my second was a carpet python and she is beautiful, has never bitten, and i just brought my daughter a childrens python and it has bitten me 3 times, this arvo it drew blood on my arm. and its only like 30cm long. haha. so i dont let my daughter touch it yet. honestly, i reckon a carpet python. most of them are fairly docile. but they will get huge in time. but thats just my opinion

Snake skin your going to have to give us more info to work with

A childrens or Maccie would be good, and Md's are docile too, depends on the individual snake.

If your in SA you don't need a licence for just one, but you will if you get more, that's about $56 a year.

If it's a baby, a heatmat and clickclack container is all you'll need for a while, till you sort yourself something out.

Hope this helps, we were all new once! :)

Hey there, im in the same position as Snake skin.. except i own alot of scorpions :p Im in WA what kind of licence would i need to get to own a carpet or childrens?

there are so many threads here saying the same stuff!
there are lots of people coming through seeking to learn things and its great cause this site and all the herpers on it are really helpful...
each state has different laws but you could try looking in the yellow pages for local herpotological societies or wildlife services that can give you names, numbers and information on licensing and pets.

Howdy all, another newbie here :D

I hope you dont mind me borrowing this as well snake skin.

Ive never owed a reptile yet either, but I have an encloser ready, which is hopefully
large enough for a trio of central netted dragons 1 x male and 2 x females, which i hope to
purchase in the coming weeks/months..

I look forward to chatting about this great hobby with you all :D

peace and joy

mangoman

sorry i forgot to say that i live in tasmania and i do know of a herpetological society in launceston but they dont meet for about 1 1/2 months...but im in no hurry for information because im moving house and thats taking awhile so i cant get the snake untill ive moved house.

so does anyone know the prices for getting and housing a childrens/stimpsons/spotted python (hatchling).

thanks,
snake skin

Last edited:
also i was wondering if anyone knows where i might get a childrens/stimpsons/spotted python in tasmania....

Don't like your chances of getting the above animals in Tassie.
When you got your licence (assuming you have one), you should have received a species list of what you and and cann't keep. If not here it is:

Species Authorised by Herpetology Permit
Reptiles

Bassiana duperreyi - Three-lined skink
Cyclodomorphus casuarinae - She-oak skink
Egernia whitei - Whites skink
Lampropholis delicata - Delicate skink
Niveoscincus greeni - Northern snow skink
N. metallicus - Metallic skink*
N. microlepidotus - Southern snow skink
N. ocellatus - Spotted skink*
N. orocryptus - Mountain skink
N. pretiosus - Tasmanian tree skink
Pseudemoia entrecasteauxii - Southern grass skink
Tiliqua nigrolutea - Blotched blue-tongue
Tympanocryptis diemensis - Mountain dragon
Austrelaps superbus - Copperhead snake
Drysdalia coronoides - White-lipped snake
Notechis ater - Tiger snake

Amphibians

Crinia signifera - Common froglet*
C. tasmaniensis - Tasmanian froglet
Geocrinia laevis - Smooth froglet
Limnodynastes dumerilii - Banjo frog
L. tasmaniensis - Spotted marsh frog
Litoria burrowsae - Tasmanian tree frog
L. ewingii - Brown tree frog*
Pseudophryne semimarmorata - Southern toadlet
(*less than 6, no permit required)

you are looking at about 300.00+ for the snake, 100.00 for a small reptile one enclosure and heat mat, and your your licence!!! dont forget the licence
get a stimmy, spotted or childens, these guys are easy, ( most of the time) they wont get too big and they wont swallow your hand ever! :))

Dont allow much room for experience before getting that tiger snake in Tas do they :p

eliped aren't those three snakes the only native snakes in tasmania....but surely i could just buy a snake from the mainland or something

(p.s. i havent gotten a license yet)

Hi in NSW license is $40 every 2 years and stimsons r good and i have some eggs ready to hatch end of November and cage for them is 2-3 foot preferably 3 and u need water bowl hides and heat mat and some sort of substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back