I'm truely amazed!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

I have an EB male from a relocation, about 1200mm that's just a mass of scar tissue, both older and more recent, that also appears to be totally blind!! No reaction to movement whatsoever, just to smell and sound (vibration).

The amazing thing is that he dosen't appear to have become recently blind, as his iris in both eyes is totally deformed and both eye caps are covered in scratches, as is the rest of his head! I caught him digging around in some mouse holes under a chook shed, totally oblivious that I was there.

Thought I'd give him a few feeds (the poor fellas in pretty bad condition) before sending him on his way; so I'll post some pics tommorrow after he settles abit.

WHAT A LITTLE AUSSIE BATTLER!!!

aww, poor liddle bloke, great idea giving him a few feeds, must be a hard life out there for him,...

Gday IV, yep you will come across some real die hards with your relocation work. The good thing is that most herps are very tenacious and heal quite well and quite quickly, given the chance.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Here's a few quick pics from tonight. You'll notice how he rests around the outside the hide rock I've provided probably due to his blindness. The family's called him "Blindy":D!

Plimpy: EB is Eastern Brown; thanks Mizz Bites, he consumed 10 mice all up, so dad's very pleased:D! I'll release as soon as we get a break in the weather.

Here's some feeding pics from this morning, please excuse the quality. I was interested to note that he still applied constriction to the prey, even though it was pre thawed. Also, this is the first Brownie I've ever relocated that's taken pre killed food items, perhaps due to his condition (blindness)?

BTW, I should have pointed out, if you look closely at the second pic, you can see his iris is huge and takes up most of the eye ball (same on both sides). Looks like he's taken some kind of narcotic:D!

Interesting Spotted Browns readily take defrosted mice even very soon after capture, yet if they already have food in belly they usually regurge.

Carnac Island has a healthy population of tigers with a large percentage of them being partially or totally blind, obviously they don't have the same problems of predation as mainland snakes though.

That's very interesting Steve1, I wondering if the blindness on Carnac is an inherited trait?

If I was to hazzard a guess, I'd say the majority of his scars are rodent related bites. He's quiet dangerous at feed time, as he strikes at everything and anything (including biting himself and "chewing" on a plastic hide) as soon as he's picked up on the food smell.

Sorry I should have elaborated, the Tigers have their eyes pecked by birds as they have adapted to eating the chicks and I think even the eggs, they are a very interesting population as they also don't have a permanent water source. I believe the birds are the only food source available to them. I can't quite remember exact numbers but I think around 40 were captured for a study and the participants could not get a single one to flair a hood, I think it was summized that this was due to a lack of natural predators, though it was noted that it had been seen in later observation of different animals. Anyway at risk of giving incorrect information I'll try and track down a link to the study.

There is also a couple of urban myths about how they got on the island

There is a couple of doco`s on those tiger snakes too. I think Rob Bredl and Steve Irwin have done them.

Thanks Steve1, you always seem to come up with some interesting links:D! I haven't read through it all yet, but certainly will, much appreciated.

I wonder if the Tigers of Chappell face some of the same problems as they seem to be in a similar situation from what I can gather?

On another point, the wildlife carers group have suggested I not release "Blindy", given his condition and release into an unfamiliar area. I'm not too sure where we stand on this one, given he's wild caught. I will contact DECC for further advise but does anyone have any useful suggestions?

Just goes to show, all they need is a nose and some venom and they will do fine with no eyes.
I think if Blindy has gotten this far, then a soft release, after a bellyfull would be the best thing to do.
He sure is a battler and would make a fine captive it seems, but its your call IV.

They're my thoughts exactly, Baz, but others in the group disagree, so, for now were holding him. I would happily take him on (with DECC approval) as he's very calm and easy to handle, except at feed time! Not much in the looks stakes, but I've always loved an underdog!!

On DECC advice, Blindy's only real options are release or euthenasia, so release it is; after another feed ,of course, and when the weather breaks.

My concern with releasing into a new area is the possibility that it had learned to exploit a single easy to come by food source in it's area he doesn't appear in bad condition in weight/size? At the end of the day though you've done the best you can for it and I reckon it's got a good chance of soldiering on. I'd love to know how his blindness came about.

Last edited:
The Chappell Island tigers live under similar conditions, no permanent water and no other food than muttonbird chicks but they don't get their eyes pecked. It's an amazing show when it starts raining and the tigers come out in their dozens to drink droplets of water off the grass and shrubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back