Inactive python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalfox

Reaction score
I own a Murray Darling Python, it's usually active at night moving around a fair bit. We hold it regularly and it's fine with that but last night and tonight she is laying in the same spot that it has layed the past few days. I have checked to see if it was still alive. I don't know what could be wrong. It's eating and pooing fine.

I dont think that's anything to worry about sounds pretty normal to me..

If she's eaten recently, the past 2 days or so, she won't be to active. Aswell as if she is up for a shed, does she seem to be due for a shed?

What are your temps at, even though its summer, if you have aircon, it could be a little cold.

Its a snake...snakes tend to do that.

Sometimes snakes wont move for days at a time sometimes even longer, Im sure it'll be just fine.

It's still a juvenial. I have only had it for about 3 months. It has already shed once in that time but it has gotten a bigger since. there is also little ummm its hard to explain but skin bubbles type things. it's sort of if you get sunburnt and you start peeling. it's a bit like that but no peeling. if that makes sense. In the tank we have 2 thermometers to check each end and we also have a thermostat. we have had some really bad weather. it was 43 degrees on monday and then 23 degrees on tuesday.

Just asking but what type of heating are you using?Globes, heat mat?She didnt come into contact with globes or the like?

Bubbles? Sounds like a burn..I could be wrong, but I would seek veterinary treatment.

It's still a juvenial. I have only had it for about 3 months. It has already shed once in that time but it has gotten a bigger since. there is also little ummm its hard to explain but skin bubbles type things. it's sort of if you get sunburnt and you start peeling. it's a bit like that but no peeling. if that makes sense. In the tank we have 2 thermometers to check each end and we also have a thermostat. we have had some really bad weather. it was 43 degrees on monday and then 23 degrees on tuesday.

our temps here in adelaide have been extreme, but that wouldn't have caused a burn, if that is what it is, i'm thinking maybe a bit of retained shed,

maybe post pics, and if you PM me your suburb we may be able to find someone close by who is willing to come and check, both the snake and your setup :)

I asked the reptile shop down the road from me and they said it's probably about to shed and the little bubbles are just the skin loosening so its easy for them to shed. I don't have heat lights I only have a heat mat at the moment coz thats all I need in the sized tank I have. It has now moved into a different place so I am not so worried now. I know it sounds silly me panicking but this is my first snake. I don't want to fail. By the way how do you find out what the sex is? I got told you can tell when they shed but now til it's older. So around how old will I be able to find out I hate calling it, IT.

Do you have a thermostat controlling that heat mat?

I own a Murray Darling Python, it's usually active at night moving around a fair bit. We hold it regularly and it's fine with that but last night and tonight she is laying in the same spot that it has layed the past few days. I have checked to see if it was still alive. I don't know what could be wrong. It's eating and pooing fine.

she may be waiting for a feed.
she just waiting for some food.

The bubbles are to small to take a photo of its about the size of a pin prick and its not all over the body. its just a small amount its like skin peeling but not much at all. and the bubbles are only on the back not on the belly so if it was burn I don't know how it would have gotten there unless she lays on her back. Which she doesn't. Her eyes are milky so I am gathering that she is due to shed soon. Well thats what a care pamphlet says. How often do they shed when they are juvenials. and it's due for a feed tonight.

Ok well my snake is starting to move around now and she was fine with me having a hold to have a look at her and The bubbles have gone. It's skin is a little dry but her eyes are very milky. it seems content and its very placid so she doesn't seem like she has got burnt coz you would think it wouldn't like being handled. This probably sounds really wierd but its suprising how much you really love a snake just like you would love a dog. In a good way of course.

Cant offer any advise as I have only had Kayak for a month but...

she is laying in the same spot that it has layed the past few days. I have checked to see if it was still alive.

Sounds like me when I went through my first shed just before the New Yeat. Kayak didnt budge for 5 days, what made matters worse was I could only just see it right at the back of its hide
Yup Kayak is also an it until I can get it probed

Milky eyes means its gonna shed soon.
I wouldn't handle it for the time being until after the shed.
From what i've read they are highly sensitive during this time.

Thanks heaps. Is it alright to feed tonight if she is gonna shed soon. Last time we didn't have that problem coz the shed came on so quickly . it had milky eyes for one day and shed that night but she has had milky eyes for about 3 days now so i am not sure whether its ok to feed it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back