info on heating and lighting for custom built enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakemad3

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am just putting this post out. To ask what would be the best way to heat a large custom built carpet enclosure. Its one that i have designed myself and is in the poses of being built.
The tank dimensions are 4 foot high (without the light hood), 4 foot wide and about 2.5-3 foot deep with a espeshaly made roof space for the 3 lights i will be having in there.
The main heat source being ceramic heat in a reflector dome for ceramic heat, a infrared bulb and a uva bulb. I was wondering what wattage's would be best to heat the enclosure? The ceramic heat will be a 250 watt and about a 60-80 Watt for infrared i am unsure of what watt to use for the uva. To all the carpet keepers and breeders out there does this sound suitable? If not how can i improve the heating/lighting situation for a proper vertical (top to bottom) thermogradant rather than a horizontal thermogradant? As i want to have a aborial and semiaborial enclosure for difrant life stages.
Has anybody used the new digital hygrometers? The ones that have 5 probes, can run 2 tanks or do the job if a dimmer/pulseing stat. If these are any good for breeding and cycling in future rather than getting two sporate thermostats?
The tank will he made with removable perches and a few extra things in here too.
My front room is pretty warm. As i have the upstairs of a house and a large radiator in the room also.
I was going to put moss along the back of the wall for a few reasons possibly along with hemp netting being used within the enclosure.
How else would you surest that it will be heated? I also have a large heat-mat if that maybe needed in winter. I will cycle them in the cooler and winter months too. There will also be shelves in the enclosure.
Personally i don't think its to big as far as i have researched all of the tank will be utilized. if this is wrong please say so. I will be using bbs substrate for naturalistic looking vivariain a sub tropical surrounding within the enclosure. also utilizing plants eventually alongside with aloe Vera an vines ect.

That will be a very expensive enclosure to run during the winter, but you can elimnate the UV source to start with - it is not of any use to a snake. Vertical thermal gradients are very difficult to manage in tall enclosures, so you will have to do it by trial and error.

Jamie

with taller enclosures you wont have a hot side and cold side it will be hot up top and cold down low there is no problem there i have an enclosure that my bredli is in and its close to 2 metres tall he is up high when he wants to warm up then down low for cooling then in the middle when he wants to be in between...no problems eats fine sheds fine very happy snake..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back