Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefly_

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm confused about my IJ. The people that I bought her from said they were not sure exactly what type of Carpet she was, but I was told by a couple people that looked at her that she was an IJ. Here is a picture of post shed... I haven't gotten any recent pictures after her shed, but she is a light, almost white and black rings & a grayish brushed in here and there. I'll get some picture's tomorrow...the batteries are dead in my digital. What do you guys say she is?? And how old would you guess? She's ate for me, and her shed was a perfect one piece.

Please... let me know so that if I'm going w/ the wrong care, I need to change it, if its different for what she may be.. I want to know what I have.. I couldn't pass her up at the price they let me have her at. And she rarely ever, if ever, strikes at me.

Please...no lecures on buying snakes w/o knowing what they are... I have several snakes, and know enough to keep any type. I've been wanting a Carpet for a while, and I have researched a lot about them. This one just seems to have a different color pattern. Thanks

IJ3.jpg

IJcarpet.jpg

Do you know the type of Carpet? I know its a Carpet...i can tell by looking at her that she's a CP. I need to know the exact breed before I can find a mate for her. What would you say?

Thankx

I am just guessing but could be some type of inland carpet python. It looks similar to a gammon range carpet or a Murray Darling.

Last edited:
wouldnt be an inland, they fetch a heafty price in the states

It looks almost definitely an Irian Jaya, very similar to a lot of Darwin Carpets. Nice snake.

thanks, Darwin Carpets, are they about the same as an IJ? People that I've talked to here have said that IJ's have a reddish tint to their color. She doesn't have any tint other than shades of black and white. She's very beautiful. The guy that I bought her from said he didn't know what she was, and told me to guess so that he could price her for me to purchase. I told him that she looked like an IJ, so he priced based on that. Neither of us were sure. He deals with Boa's and poisioness snakes. I only paid 90 for her.

It's only a young snake so any colour wouldn't have come out yet. Darwins are the same, when young they don't show the beautiful oranges and reds like when they are adults. I have a few Darwins and the younger animals are quite 'dull' in comparison to the adults.

But there are many different varieties of morelia spilota. Actaully, if you want to be picky with correct speech Junglist I can tell you that morelia spilota was incorrect as that very name refers to carpet/diamond complex and you've already said that Firefly's snake is not diamond. :p

Last edited:
i would have guessed at an Irian Jaya as well.. it has that same kind of head pattern, that u find on jungle pythons.. but im only guessing and am no where near an expert.. i wood take Boa's word.. tho.. cos he is very experienced, in australian and exotic species

Your best bet is to try again to get more info from the guy you got your CP from mate, if he could put you onto the person he got it from you might get your answer.

Looks like a IJ(West papuan)Variegata to me, although it could be the form that occurs in PNG.
Definitely not a Darwin, if you had been sold a real Darwin, you would be sitting pretty in the US, as they are very rare indeed outside of Australia. There's a few in Europe, but still pretty uncommon in collections.
Best bet is to do some detective work and trace it back to the breeder or importer.

yes, i wish that I could do that. I work and buy all my stuff from the local store. I don't know that I would really call them a pet store, but I guess they are. 90% of their stuff is from their own collection(reptiles). He had worked for a Zoo for many years, and collected enough money to start on his own. At the store they have set up, they have several different offspring of their own hatchlings. He goes once every so many months and buys a seller out of all his/her stuff and brings it back to the store to sell because he can't keep the reptile selection of the store stocked, as they are the only store within a 200 mile radius. She was mixed in with the guys collection that he bought from, and wasn't sure what type of Carpet Python she was. He said he paid about $4K on the snakes, "hot" and just the regular boa's and Pythons that he purchased, like I said before, he took my word on what type she was, sexed her for me, and let me have her at the "family discount". :)

I am leaning toward a IJ also though, I've done a lot of research and have found several picture's of IJ's looking like her at her age. She shed, her first half of her body is a white/gray with black, and her rear half is a light tan & Black. My guess the tan will continue to redden. Either way, I have a wonderful Carpet Python! :) Here's some post shed pictures,

2-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back