Is A Night Time Temperature Drop Necassery??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leighroy6

Reaction score
hey :) im curious if a night time temperature drop is necessery and if so whats the minimum and max temp for night time?? i have an Inland carpet python..

Hi leighroy6,
You'll have to be a bit more specific...what's the age of your MD?
Generally when snakes are still young they are kept at the same temperature 24X7, older sankes have temperature changes applied but based on breeding, to brumate prior to mating, (everyone is different on this point with lighting and temperature....no war starter here).

thanx MDSTIM
shes 19 months old, i drop it bout 5 degrees lower every night so should i be worrying about droppin it at all?

Last edited:
Depending how cold the herp room gets at night, i usually turn off all heating and if its extremely to cold for a certain species i may give them a heat mat at night.
Apart from that timers turn off everything in the herproom at sunset.
Most reptiles dont get 24hr heat in the wild, all you need is a well insulated hide and your fine.

If you don't want to drop the temp, you don't have to - they can just move to a cooler area. With a MD, you are fine turning off the heat at night if you want to. They are very hardy and naturally live in areas with a large variation in temperature. An insulated hide which is not too large or small is important, as they would find such a hiding spot in the wild.

it gets freezing here at night 5c sometimes, so i dont wanna freeze her..she has a ceramic hide directly below the infrared lights, its a wooden encolsure so i cant use heat mats thanx for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back