Is it ok to Feed when shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhamMagsBaird89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
This morning my phone went off to tell me its feeding time again for my 8-9mnth old B&G so i thaw her pinky and as im dancing it for her i remmeberd that shes shedding and she might not be able to eat (shes just starting to get milky eyes or may be clearing up now cause shes been hiding her head for 2 days) well as i rememberd and was taking my hjand out she decided Ok well im hungry and ur not taking my dinner away. is she going to be ok or will the expansion from feeding her stuff her new skin. cheers guys and srry for being a noob. But the breeder for this guy wnt return msg and prettry much looked at licence handed snake over took money jumped in car and no more contact

ive read that if the snake is trying to shed over a massive lump that it can cause probs, (as in the rolled part cant make it over the lump) however a regular sized food item at that stage should be ok, cos it will be gone by the time ur snake sheds. (if her eyes are still milky shes still at least a few days off shedding)

some snakes dont take food while in shed, but it wouldnt hurt to try.

Hey Guys
This morning my phone went off to tell me its feeding time again for my 8-9mnth old B&G so i thaw her pinky and as im dancing it for her i remmeberd that shes shedding and she might not be able to eat (shes just starting to get milky eyes or may be clearing up now cause shes been hiding her head for 2 days) well as i rememberd and was taking my hjand out she decided Ok well im hungry and ur not taking my dinner away. is she going to be ok or will the expansion from feeding her stuff her new skin. cheers guys and srry for being a noob. But the breeder for this guy wnt return msg and prettry much looked at licence handed snake over took money jumped in car and no more contact

I think it should be fine. Some of mine eat when they're shedding, some don't. The only time I've had an issue was when the baby stimsons refused a feed so I gave both of the pinkies to the baby darwin who was in shed at the time. He had a bit of a crappy shed, nothing a warm, wet paper towel couldn't fix, and that might not even have been due to the food. It could have been a thousand other variables that caused it anyway.

I have noticed though that if they're in shed when they eat, they're far more likely to crap in their skin as they exit.

they can eat and still shed fine but imo its best to avoid it , as has been said they can have troubles getting it over the bump sometimes and ive also heard that if they strike their food they can also cause damage to the old layer of skin that is separating (same as handling them can )

well she took the food and its a good way down she doesnt seem to buldge much from pinkys(2 left till she moves up) so hopefully it wont get tight for her. Is it bad if they crap in there skin as there shedding or is it just u cant keep it as a memory. Also she has been crapping alot in the last few days should i wait for her shed or try and clean around her
Btw as i was trying to take the food back was when she took it so i dint get the choice

if it will feed then sure.... i feed mine while shedding if they will take it. Yes iv had that issue once with the roll of freshly shed skin getting stuck on the bulge but it just has too be removed if it becomes a problem.

I have fed a few times when in shed, never had a problem, even had a childreni shed hours after a feed (didn't even notice the cloudy eye stage). Not ideal but these things happen with a few snakes in your collection. I do have to ask thou, why is your 8-9mth B&G still on pinkes? should be able to take large fuzzy rats at the very least. Unless of course its been a problem feeder and undersize

I have fed a few times when in shed, never had a problem, even had a childreni shed hours after a feed (didn't even notice the cloudy eye stage). Not ideal but these things happen with a few snakes in your collection. I do have to ask thou, why is your 8-9mth B&G still on pinkes? should be able to take large fuzzy rats at the very least. Unless of course its been a problem feeder and undersize

Yea she looked small but after her last 3 feeds she is looking plump. Will be moving her up prob next feed the gumtreeer that I got her from didn't give me more info then feed her a pinky every 10 days. Nd that she is 3 days over due for a feed no history nothing well I feed her day 1 then at 7 days then 3rd&4th feed 5days apart. Will be weighing her after her shed to size her food 25-30%body weight in food is a good guide yea

Sounds like a plan, yeah I use the 20-25% rule of thumb. I'm sure with a bit of TLC and a bigger prey item, she'll catch up in no time

I've fed them before,during and straight after shedding with no problems,although big sized feeds may be an issue..
Last time was Sunday night when I fed a green that was mid shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back