Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much and how often are you feeding ur lil Mac?

cheers M...............

I had a beautiful Albino Burmese that was 14 feet long, close to 100 pounds. I noticed she had not pooped in a few weeks but still had an appetite. My first action is always going to a qualified vet when any abnormal behavior occurs.

The Vet X-rayed her and thought she had eggs at first until closer examination revealed that the poop in side her had hardened and adhered to her intestinal lining. It blocked her up. Her poop was poisoning her.
For the next week we tried enemas and laxatives but no success.

The Vet went inside to try to remove it manually by breaking up the pieces and taking them out. I was warned this could cause bacterial infection but we had no other choice. We got most of it out but it was like cement adhered to her rectal wall thus leaving scratches and cuts in her. It is hard to keep the rectum clean and bacteria free for the time needed to heal. We tried antibiotics but she got infected and we had to put her to sleep. ($1,700.00 dollars later may I add!)

I share this story to impress upon you how important a visit to the veterinarian is when something goes wrong no matter how little.

My cages are large enough to have a temperature gradient of 78 degrees to 98 degrees and I noticed her staying on the cool side. This did not allow for proper digestion and led to the problem. This is why I say feed two small food items over a 4-day period rather than all at once.

Thanks for listening
Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria

ok, the uric acid, i assume that's what it is ..... little white lumps, i find one in her tank every 4 days or so, but not accompanied by anything else.

she went off her food for 2 weeks when she shed, but that was late may, after that she had 1 on 26th may, 1 on 10th june, and one every 4 days since then. they are only small pinkies and i only give her one each feed.

finding a good vet........ in this area...... that's a joke right?
the area i live in there is only one vet, when my mum took one of her dragons there he treated it and prescribed it medicine, then as mum was walking out the vet said " what is that thing anyway? " pansy ended up dying... and i don't trust the vet.

is my snake sick

just a quick note..

you could try the warm bath if you were concerned, i wouldnt be at this stage. however doing a rectnal massage is somthing to be carefull of. If not done properly the bowel lining can be scratched and a infection in this area can be very hard to beat.

another thought for john.. Pythons dont urinate? whats the 3 leters of mousture running out the bottom of my olives cage..lmao
cheers paul.

OK,
I have never noticed any snake urinate before.I had tryed to find relevant documents before making such a statement and found the below text:
Snakes conserve water well so their need for water is minimal. They seek humid microclimates and don't urinate, excreting uric acid as a semisolid slurry with their faeces. They lose water mainly through breathing and through their skins. Although they don't have sweat glands, their skin is thin. Some desert snakes condition their skin with secretions from a nose gland to prevent water loss.

Any faeces found should be removed as soon as possible to prevent mites and other bacteria forming, most snakes don?t urinate, as commonly believed but there faeces has a solid plus a liquid much like a birds faeces.

Now after doing further search I have found majority of snakes do not urinate,However I did find that burmese pythons and a small list of other species do.But I havn't found anything that says Australian pythons urinate as of yet!

Don't urinate?

Well, I know at least ONE species that DOES urinate!

My diamond likes to curl up on my bedhead and doesn't like to be removed. Believe me, when I take her off to put her back in her enclosure, she urinates in copious quantities! :shock: :?

I wonder if it is just a personal thing (each individual differs) or a characteristic trait of the entire species!I have never noticed urination in any species I have worked with,but then I have never owned an Olive or a Diamond.Perhaps in your case David urinating might be a defense mechanism such as turtles have! I'd be interested to know if all diamonds do this or if it is just a personal thing that your snake does.

Hey guys,
Just as I was about to be handed a young (very red) Darwin Carpet, it wasn't in the mood to be handled and urinated on the breeder who was handing it to me. My coastal urinates also, luckily not on me :lol:

I have two Diamonds, and neither of them has done what David?s does.

All of our maccies and bredli's urinate.The adult Bredli's do it in huge quantities.All of them also pass white slugs at different times and at different times normal poo.I might add never both at the same time.

I would follow the advice of giving the lil snake a warm soak in a bath but another thing I would like to bring up (and this is only a guess)is that maybe with the small amounts of food you are offering per feed the snake is using all food thats offered with none going to waste(in the form of poo).

What substrate have you got him on?Is he passing anything at all?,white stuff or wee.I stress just guessing.

cheers M.......

when i first got one of my NT's it weed on one of my dads friends. i think it was urine. (somthin came out)

cheers
charles

hehehe, yea when I was at TWP grant was giving the Death Adder medicine or something and something came out in litres don't know what it was, looked to dark to be urine

fangs...
yes, storm will get a little bath in just a minute, but i'm not confident enough to rub her tummy incase i hurt her.
i have her on bc, but i am very watchful, and i don't feed her in her tank, she has a feeding tub.
she does pass little white "pebbles" , and i have sometimes noticed that there is a wet patch on the kitty litter around it if it is just fresh, but if she for eg does one in the nite, by the time i get to her in the morning it is just a hard white lump.
thanks again for help everyone.

Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong but I think your snake is ok although its a tad hard to tell not seeing it.Seems to me that all the food you are feeding is being utilised by the snake and nothing is going to waste.
If he is passing lil white pebbles then me thinks he aint blocked up.If I were you the next time you feed him I would give two pinkies for that feed and see what happens.

cheers M.........

pics of storm

i put some pics of storm after her bath in the personal gallery, in album named Astrobeka.

like fangs said i would increase the food amount and then she might not be able to utalise all of it, therefore she would have to let some pass through.

cheers
charles

is my snake sick

hi john.

i just used a olive as an example. with all 5 olives doing the same thing, also the waters ,bredli and jungles also , must admit that most offen it is after a large feed that they tend to increase the amounts of water they drink, this results in accsess amounts of urine
maybe the information you pasted was written in regards to wild animals? maybe acsess to water was as prolific as captive reptile conditions?
david we to have a number of animals that if i pick up when they are not interessted will also urinate on me..
just some thoughts

cheers paul.

Yeah, my coastals and intergrade like to get to the top of their 4' high cages and wee everywhere. However, usually they just pass the solid urates, they have only done the wee thing a few times. Astro - if you are feeding young pinkies to your snake, all you will get is the white pellets. There is no fur, guts etc. in them to create the black / brown feces that are charracteristic of a larger snakes poo. Try feeding her older mice. :D

Urination in snakes seems to be pretty common from the experiences of the majority here.I am suprised I have never seen this.What Paul has said in regards to prolific water conditions makes great "food for thought".I will look this matter up further and see what I can find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back