is this click-clack / viv setup ok????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bredli_python

Reaction score
i have a juvenile bredli python.. last week he measured around at 55cm in length - i havent yet weighed him... he is between 4 and 9 months old (1 person at the shop said 8 when i looked at him and another said 3 when i got him a couple days later :s

i brought him 5 weeks ago... he had recently eaten when i brought him and refused to eat until the 3rd week i had him, he ate 1 fuzzy mouse, he didnt eat last week or this week so its been another fortnight for him to have not eaten... :S

i have had him in a vivarium setup for that time which is 80cm in length, 52cm high and 45cm wide... this is what the reptile place suggested and gave me etc...

i have been feeding him in an empty 2litre ice-cream container with newspaper...

i have just set up a new click-clack to replace the vivarium setup for now until he is older hoping this will help is feeding... this setup is 26cm high, 23cm wide, and 30-36cm long....

here is some photos of the old and new setup... is the new one ok???
im using the heat light and heat matt through the original setup...
diago viv setup.jpgdiago click-clack (2).jpg
diago click-clack.jpgdiago click-clack (3).jpgdiago viv setup2.jpg

Firstly congrats on your new pet...
I have to ask though, why do you put so much crap in his cage?

short answer: no

long answer: while it is better, there is still no real hides and it.. i suggest taking all the pebbles out, the rock and the coloured fake plants.. then get 2 small boxes (eg light globe boxes) and put one in hot end, one in cold end.. then you will probably get it eating again

Firstly congrats on your new pet...
I have to ask though, why do you put so much crap in his cage?

lol... "so much crap?" ... well the rock looking thing on the left is his hide over the heat matt on the heated side, and on the left the yellowy rock thing is his water bowl which is ontop of his cooler hide... the rest is branches and coloured rocks and a couple coloured fake coral things to add scenery he seem to like it =) thats whats in the new setup.. and theres a thin layer of sand underneath it all....
and with the old setup i had the skull and skelleton in there just as scenery too lol..

short answer: no

long answer: while it is better, there is still no real hides and it.. i suggest taking all the pebbles out, the rock and the coloured fake plants.. then get 2 small boxes (eg light globe boxes) and put one in hot end, one in cold end.. then you will probably get it eating again

ok... well i just brought all that new stuff today, there is 2 hides already in there 1 each end... whats wrong with the coral and pebbles? ill add more hides maybe tomorrow..

temps? could b too cold. I let my click-clack get down to 16 when I put the thermostat in cos I forgot to turn the powerpoint back on and my bredli didn't eat for a month...
And the link up above is VERY good, I suggest you use the setup featured in the link.

Will

A quick search will give you some threads on what your enclosure should look like (minus the crap) ;) You asked if we thought it was ok and we said no.. It's up to you what you do.. Putting a hide under the water doesn't sound like a good idea either.
Look and learn what people who have been keeping snakes for ages do on this site.... They do it because it works... We've all been where you are now at some stage. I know it can be hard to sit back and enjoy your new pet and that you want to keep adding stuff.
Much like my nephew with his fish tank... But just relax and keep it simple :)

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/finished-click-clack-131490

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/show-us-click-clacks-103052

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/click-clack-set-coastal-139132

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/first-snake-jungle-male-136534

Last edited by a moderator:
take all that 'stuff' out, put a light globe box at each end & a stick to climb on & a waterbowl, as sugested...View attachment 157510here is a pic of what a click-clack looks like, not that 'one' you have, its a plasic fishtank(fine & will do the job) with way to much stuff in there..

all my carpets live in these till 12 months old, its a 7ltr container..$3 at the hardware shop..

Standard plain click clack with a little box at each end, a length of dowel, or a branch to climb on, water dish, newspaper or paper towel substrate and you're set. There is no need for the extra's :) AM python's picture in the above post is a perfect example.

The more I look at it, the more sorry I feel for the lil fella. :(
I imagine those giant smarty looking things are quite cold too. How is he supposed to get heat from the heat mat?
If he doesn't have heat to help digest his food he will die when the mouse goes off in his stomache...

It's all easily rectified though. :)
Best of luck with your new python.

ok thanx all for the advise... ill take out the "extras" and just keep it simple... if it helps his eating etc ill just have to deal with the "bare" look lol... ill upload a new photo of the "simple" look soon enough

He'll be happier with the bare look. It is his home after all, so his happiness comes first.
Keep reading through old threads. There are plenty of decorated enclosures that look good and are still practical.
Search things like "enclosure" "enclosure set up" "new enclosure" "Click clack"
also
"substrate" "hides" "branches" "fake rock wall" etc etc...
Lots to take in and learn. But it's all fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back