Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_brown

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
i read this on RSP "have seen pythons suffer serious health problems over the long term when subjected to lights continually over a 24 hour period. It appears that the lack of a photoperiod can disturb the hormonal cycles of the snake making it vulnerable to a range of maladies."
is this true?? if so is it bad to have 2 75Watt bulbs for a yearling ( i think ) stimson python?

I was under the impression it's bad for them. Pythons tend to be a nocturnal animal, and like any animal (even humans) to not have a sense of day and night can promote health issues in the long term. I figure: why muck with nature "too" much :D

but its inferred once so it doesnt mess up the cycle when its day time there is light in my room which im assuming he can sense / feel

- - - Updated - - -

cause apprently they cant see red or inferred or something so its complete darkness regardless ( i thought )

I wouldnt think it would be good for the snake to have no night time period? If you must have the light on at night, put an infra red bulb in, the snake will think it is dark but you can still see it :)

I wouldnt think it would be good for the snake to have no night time period? If you must have the light on at night, put an infra red bulb in, the snake will think it is dark but you can still see it :)

My understanding of the light spectrum is that humans are not able to see infrared waves but snakes can sense them via thermoreception through their heat pits.

Last edited:
My understanding of the light spectrum is that humans are not able to see infrared waves but snakes can sense them via thermoreception through there heat pits.

From what I have read and by watching my snakes eyes when they have had infra red light on them, I am pretty sure they cant see IR light. If you have snakes in a dark room with an IR light on, thier pupils are round and black... as soon as you turn on normal (white) light, the pupils become slits.

I would think the snakes could see the resulting heat of say a rock or something which may be warmed by the IR light, but the light doesnt register to them as light, same as we cant see a beam of light when we opperate a tv remote (infra red)

What do others think? Anyone know for sure?

- - - Updated - - -

the light is for heating purposes....... captain im in a massive dilemma right now im tossing between bredli's and RSP's now why cant i make my mind up ?

Easy.... just get one of each.... problem solved :lol:

G'won, you know you want to..... you will eventually :lol:

i know i will but i have a project car that im building so i need to divide my money lol :D but yeah im assuming its alright to keep the infarred light on cause thats what i was told from the pet shop which has a awesome rep.... i might just get the bredli not and the roughy a bit later on ill goto the pet shop on wednesday and decide :D but for now its bredli :D

is it bad to have 2 75Watt bulbs for a yearling ( i think ) stimson python?

150w of heatlamps 24/7 will be hard on your power bill (and wallet):shock: Have you concidered a 20w heatmat or cord with thermostat for heating and just flouro/light strips/normal energy saver bulbs (or red party lights) with timer to see him by? Alot cheaper to run..... that way you can afford more snakes :D

Last edited:
Yes but they dont sense infrared with their eyes but with their heat pits. (Thermoreceptors).

And from years of doing shift work, light and dark has a major impact on the body.

I can only assume that this would be the same most for animals on the planet.

150w of heatlamps 24/7 will be hard on your power bill (and wallet):shock: Have you concidered a 20w heatmat or cord with thermostat for heating and just flouro/light strips/normal energy saver bulbs (or red party lights) with timer to see him by? Alot cheaper to run..... that way you can afford more snakes :D
would a heat mat keep the warm side atmosphire warm enought tho?? and what about if i want to see him at night? ?

- - - Updated - - -

just have the infared light on or just a ****ty bulb?

- - - Updated - - -

Weren't you considering a diamond as well? ;)
yupp but i have narrowed it down :D

I know it is commonly stated that most snakes don't require UV but I can't see how no UV at all can be healthy for any living creature so I run IR for my heating and UV for daytime lighting

A heat mat should keep the enclosure nice and warm with a good gradient...... you can have a white light or flouro on timer to set the photo period, and if you want to look at him after the white light has gone off at night, you can have a red party bulb or infra red (not neccessarily heat lamp, but if thats what you already have) bulb.

I personally prefer this method of heating/lighting because that way when the heatmat is on (20w) and the light is on (say 10w) then it is only costing 1/5th of the price of your 2 75w lights (and I am a tight rrr's) ;)

I never really thought about this until now.
24 hour light is not normal so it surely would have some negative impacts I'd say;
But I usually keep the blinds opwn by day and shut them at night so they would get a day night cycle as it is anyway.

I know it is commonly stated that most snakes don't require UV but I can't see how no UV at all can be healthy for any living creature so I run IR for my heating and UV for daytime lighting

The reason it is said that pythons dont require UV light, is because pythons get thier vitamin D3 from the livers of thier prey, whereas a lizard/monitor or some other reptiles get it from direct sunlight. IMO, it doesnt hurt to have a little uv on a python, but dont get a maximum uv light for a python.... just get a minimum globe. For example, the flouro batton over my bredli is a uv2, whereas you can get up to a uv5 batton. The 5 is overkill, more expensive and not neccessary, whereas it would be for lizards/monitors.

People with monitors change thier uv flouro bulbs every couple of years coz the uv drops as the batton wears out, getting these old ones off friends with lizards is a good way of being a cheap skate, er, I mean saving money ;)

The natural light that lights up a room in daylight, must have a small component of uv in it also, albeit reduced from going thru window glass etc I suppose.

Yeah I run a UV 2.0 on a timer as I am a shift worker and quite often the roller shutters are down during the day, also on the topic of replacing due to battons losing their potency it was once recomended to me to change my battons when I change the batteries in my smoke detectors once a year

Yeah I run a UV 2.0 on a timer as I am a shift worker and quite often the roller shutters are down during the day, also on the topic of replacing due to battons losing their potency it was once recomended to me to change my battons when I change the batteries in my smoke detectors once a year

Yeah, at $45 a shot :rolleyes:

For lizards/monitors I would concider this (at least every couple of years), but not for pythons. Like I said, a good source of second hand, half worn uv battons if you know someone big on lizards ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back