Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, KaotikJezta, good to know it's a bit easier than I had thought.

It will if you don't have a cage around the light... Or dont't have it hooked up to a thermostat. Probably worse than a heat mat or cord would too because of the higher wattage.

IR is only visible through enhanced optics, ie night vision. It doesn't matter what colour you point them at.

I disagree george..... if that were the case, in a dark room/enclosure, if you turn un an IR heatlamp, you would see nothing at all. When you turn on an IR heatlamp, anything light in colour is illuminated, anything black/dark remains pitch black. Same goes for UV/mushroom type (blacklight) bulbs..... in a dark room with a blacklight (or IR type heatlamp) on and everyone wearing dark clothing (and not smiling) would be unseen. If someone smiles or someone with a white shirt enters the room, the teeth and or shirt would be illuminated, while everything else stays dark.

Therefore, I stand by what I said.... we humans cant see IR light as such, but can see the illumination resulting from reflection of UV & IR light off light (white) surfaces in a dark room.... but not the light waves itself. ;) If we could not see the resulting reflected light, we would end up with IR heatlamps just being a heat emitter, because even if on, we couldnt recognise by sight whether it was on or not.... only by the heat (same as an emitter)

The ir light output of a tv remote is so low you would struggle to see it if it were a normal light. As far as I know and the way I check tv remotes is to look at it thru my phones camera or digital camera.... even then it is very weak, but you can see it (which is enhanced optics as you mentioned)

Hey Captn, look up 'light spectrum', WE CAN NOT SEE INFRARED
A ceramic emitter is a true infrared bulb. Can you see its light?
Sheesh

Ok, cool. So how can we see a white shirt glow under black light, and how can an IR heatlamp light up my enclosure? Obviously, our uv and ir lights must have some normal light content? I actually believe some people can 'almost' see the beginnings of where the spectrum changes from light we can see to either end, uv or ir.

I know also, some people, such as Monet, I think it was (the painter) had a damaged eye, this eye could actually see uv light very clearly.... that is why he painted such weird pictures.... he just painted what he saw :lol: I think I saw that on one of those richard hammond science shows... engineering connections or that life in slow motion show of his.

Anyway, how do you explain that our ir heatlamps do in fact light up our enclosures if we cant see ir? And how we can see the signature on a mastercard with a blacklight (uv) ? I can only explain it by us seeing the reflection of the light? What do you reckon is the explanation? Sheesh :rolleyes:

Anyway, how do you explain that our ir heatlamps do in fact light up our enclosures if we cant see ir? What do you reckon is the explanation? Sheesh :rolleyes:

Um because those heatlamps also radiate visable light !!
Seriously dude, stop just thinking your right and go and look up visible light spectrum, you are wrong.
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just trying to give out the facts.

I am aware of the light spectrum.... and the tiny, minute, teeny weeny portion of the spectrum we can see..... so, I guess you are saying that it must be false advertising on the ir heatlamp I have? It says it is a uv heatlamp..... yet I can see my snake by it in the dark when it is on? So, we can obviously see the reflected light off white surfaces from 'our type of IR heatlamps'.... our type.... like the one I have... that I can see?

Can anyone else on here see the white parts of thier snakes by the light of the ir heatlamp they have? If you can...... then you can see the ir light from a globe sold as IR (our type of IR light);)

Last edited:
I am aware of the light spectrum.... and the tiny, minute, teeny weeny portion of the spectrum we can see..... so, I guess you are saying that it must be false advertising on the ir heatlamp I have? It says it is a uv heatlamp..... yet I can see my snake by it in the dark when it is on? So, we can obviously see the reflected light off white surfaces from 'our type of uv heatlamps'.... our type.... like the one I have... that I can see?

Can anyone else on here see the white parts of thier snakes by the light of the ir heatlamp they have? If you can...... then you can see the ir light from a globe sold as IR (our type of IR light);)

Now we are getting somewhere, sounds like you are seeing the reflected uv.
If you were aware of the light spectrum we wouldnt be having this discussion.
False adver........ what. We are talking about IR not UV. Do you know what IR is? I'll tell you.
It is heat!!!

All along I have been talking about seeing the 'resulting reflection from white surfaces' whether it is IR or UV, but we cant see the light itself? You have read the earlier posts?

Wow, you are up to 10 posts now? nearly at expert level ;)

Yes I have read the entire thread, need I remind you of what made me comment in the first place. This quote.
If you must have the light on at night, put an infra red bulb in, the snake will think it is dark but you can still see it :)

My problem is that you say that humans can see infrared and snakes cant, well its the other way around if you care to research.
Low blow on the expert thing

zanks ive read up about IR lamps/red party globes to be on 24/7 it doesnt affect the snake at all... cause they cant see red/IR so they can only sense the heat which is fine but a bit more costly than heat mats and what not and apparently IR/party lights are better for heating but a bit more costly :D and im pretty sure we can see IR to a certain degree..snakes can sense it but not see it if thats the case everyone who has IR lamps over night to keep their enclosures warm must be harming the snake a whole lot ay??(including pet shops)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I have read the entire thread, need I remind you of what made me comment in the first place. This quote.

My problem is that you say that humans can see infrared and snakes cant, well its the other way around if you care to research.
Low blow on the expert thing
i think he means the red LIGHT thats coming out of it lol :D not the infrared it self just out of curiosity ur not a keyboard warrior are u cause u seem to misunderstand alot of things :p

So, what you are saying, is if you turn on one of our type of IR heatlamps (the red ones) at night in your enclosure, you cant see your snake (unless it is predominantly black/olive/dark) any light parts of branches or if the light is even on or not?

In that quote you highlighted, 'it' (the last word at the end, next to the smiley face) refers to the snake :facepalm:

So you think that snakes can see IR light now?:shock::lol:

So, what you are saying, is if you turn on one of our type of IR heatlamps (the red ones) at night in your enclosure, you cant see your snake (unless it is predominantly black/olive/dark) any light parts of branches or if the light is even on or not?

In that quote you highlighted, 'it' (the last word at the end, next to the smiley face) refers to the snake :facepalm:

So you think that snakes can see IR light now?:shock::lol:

IF the snake can see IR he must be thinking its day time 24/7 interesting.... zanks what have u been smoking ?

Look, ALL I am saying is humans cant see infrared and some snakes (not sure if all) can sense it through thermoreceptors.
This is fact. Dont take my word for it. Find out for yourselves......... ffs

- - - Updated - - -

IF the snake can see IR he must be thinking its day time 24/7 interesting.... zanks what have u been smoking ?

W T F . . . . .

Last edited:
i think he means the red LIGHT thats coming out of it lol :D not the infrared it self just out of curiosity ur not a keyboard warrior are u cause u seem to misunderstand alot of things :p

Awww.... dont spoil it chris ;) Dont tell anyone, but I was waiting to say that the reason we can see the light from our type of IR heatlamps is because of the red lense/colour on the bulb. If the bulb was clear, we wouldnt see anything but the glowing filament (white hot from the heat of being on) ;) That is the only part of our ir heatlamps we can see.... but Shhhh ok;)

Awww.... dont spoil it chris ;) Dont tell anyone, but I was waiting to say that the reason we can see the light from our type of IR heatlamps is because of the red lense/colour on the bulb. If the bulb was clear, we wouldnt see anything but the glowing filament (white hot from the heat of being on) ;) That is the only part of our ir heatlamps we can see.... but Shhhh ok;)
No worries.. it will be our secret ;) hahaha

Yes, but all this comes fro a comment from my personal experience, that he is better to heat with a heatpad and have a normal light, and an ir light (IR heatlamp if he already has it, rather than buying a new not heatlamp type IR bulb) so he can see his snake at night after he has turned off the normal light (or the timer has)?

I can see my snakes at night with one of our ir type heatlamps, chris can.... if your eyes arent painted on, you can prolly see your snakes with our type of ir heatlamp too.... so as far as I am concerned, we can night view our snakes with our type of ir heatlamps without disturbing the snake..... because the snake cant see it is on (if you go by the snakes pupils being fully dialated under the light of one of our type of ir heatlamps):rolleyes:

because the snake cant see it is on (if you go by the snakes pupils being fully dialated under the light of one of our type of ir heatlamps):rolleyes:
Another great moment in science ha ha ha
Are you guys serious, or only trying to p... me off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back