Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying that snakes can see ir from one of our heatlamps?
Quote from Wikipedia
Pit vipers, pythons, and some boas have infrared-sensitive receptors in deep grooves on the snout, which allow them to “see” the radiated heat of warm-blooded prey mammals. In pit vipers the grooves are located between the nostril and the eye, in a large “pit” on each side of the head. Other infrared-sensitive snakes have multiple, smaller labial pits lining the upper lip, just below the nostrils.[SUP][28][/SUP]

- - - Updated - - -

So you are saying that snakes can see ir from one of our heatlamps?
Of course I am and also the visable light. Unsure about uv

Quote from me: 'See' means using eyeballs and optic nerves.... as in vision :facepalm: Sure they can feel the heat and be aware the surrounding rocks are warmer than the ground the rock is on, or where an animal is thru thier heat pits, but that isnt seeing, that is detecting with other than thier sense of vision....

This whole discussion has been regarding LIGHT not heat detection :rolleyes: From what I have heard, read and learned, pythons cant see (with thier eyeballs) ir light, but we can see them without them knowing it, in a dark enclosure with one of our IR heatlamps, because we can see enough of the reflected ir light from white parts of the snake. If the enclosure was painted black, in a dark room, the branch painted black and the snake was a red bellied black snake, or an olive with dark enough colouration, we would not see the snake same as it cant see us, because there is nothing light enough to reflect the light for us to see anything

Snakes heatpits can detect heat, whether there is ligh or not involved, the heat pits have nothing to do with vision :rolleyes:

Quote from reptile channel . com

Infrared light is the sun’s warmth, and basking reptiles absorb infrared radiation extremely effectively through their skin. This part of the light spectrum is invisible to humans and most reptiles, but some snakes can perceive the longer wavelengths (above 5,000 nanometers) through their facial pit organs. Ceramic heaters and heat mats emit only infrared. Incandescent lamps emit infrared and visible light. Some incandescent red basking lamps are described as “infra-red” lamps, but these also emit red visible light.

Now who's smoking what here?

- - - Updated - - -

because we can see enough of the reflected ir light from white parts of the snake.

NO YOU CANT.
This is my point, you cant see infrared, it is heat.

Yes they can percieve it, but they cant see it... with thier eyes, eyballs, optic nerves, optic centre of thier brain :facepalm:

So, now you are saying that humans can see heat? What, with our eyes?:shock: Now you are saying when I look at my snake at night with the ir heatlamp on, I am seeing (with my eyes) the heat reflecting off the snake?? And now, my heat mats are emitting only infra red??? Infra red light from a heat mat?:lol: Must be good hooch you got there?:shock::lol: I wish there was a rolling on the floor laughing icon on here :lol:

I better go check my infra red heatmats are ok.... I will use my thermo nuclear plasma laser thermometer to measure the infra red light it is emitting :lol:

So, now you are saying that humans can see heat? What, with our eyes?:shock: Now you are saying when I look at my snake at night with the ir heatlamp on, I am seeing (with my eyes) the heat reflecting off the snake?? And now, my heat mats are emitting only infra red??? Infra red light from a heat mat?:lol: Must be good hooch you got there?:shock::lol: I wish there was a rolling on the floor laughing icon on here :lol:

I better go check my infra red heatmats are ok.... I will use my thermo nuclear plasma laser thermometer to measure the infra red light it is emitting :lol:

What The FFFFFFFFFFF
Im not saying any of that, thats all in your mind.
culfh

Quote from reptile channel . com

Infrared light is the sun’s warmth, and basking reptiles absorb infrared radiation extremely effectively through their skin. This part of the light spectrum is invisible to humans and most reptiles, but some snakes can perceive the longer wavelengths (above 5,000 nanometers) through their facial pit organs. Ceramic heaters and heat mats emit only infrared. Incandescent lamps emit infrared and visible light. Some incandescent red basking lamps are described as “infra-red” lamps, but these also emit red visible light.

Now who's smoking what here?

- - - Updated - - -

NO YOU CANT.
This is my point, you cant see infrared, it is heat.

Yes you did?? This is what you wrote :shock: or have you forgotten?:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

You said ceramic heaters and heat mats emit only infrared :lol::facepalm:

- - - Updated - - -

Then you finish with "you cant see infrared, it is heat" :shock:

OK. Ratbag. You can't see IR, you can't see its reflection. Black lights, red globes, they aren't IR. How do I know this? I have spent the last 5 years working with IR. As an example our inferred lasers that we use as aiming devices, if you could see it or its reflection with night vision I would be dead several times over. IR is invisable. That's why we use them, so that the enemy, or anyone without NVG can't see it. I'm sure snipercap can back me up on that one.

OK. Ratbag. You can't see IR, you can't see its reflection. Black lights, red globes, they aren't IR. How do I know this? I have spent the last 5 years working with IR. As an example our inferred lasers that we use as aiming devices, if you could see it or its reflection with night vision I would be dead several times over. IR is invisable. That's why we use them, so that the enemy, or anyone without NVG can't see it. I'm sure snipercap can back me up on that one.
Thanks for the backup FG, theses ....s were making me crazy.
Its hard to argue with fools.

- - - Updated - - -

to be honest i dont really care if we can see it and what not is it alright to have my infrarred lights for heating?

If you can see the light then it is more than just infrared. Animals, just like humans require large periods of darkness.

"We are also now advising keepers that shade and complete darkness are just as important as light and UV. A reptile - whether living in the wild or a vivarium - has to undertake the D3 cycle.This is the natural process of converting heat and UVB into pro and pre form of vitamin D3, and then the vitamin itself. Part of this cycle entails a reptile to heat up and bask before cooling down and sleeping. If one part is missed, the animal cannot obtain the full benefit of the chemical and hormonal changes in its body"

This is from a company that has spent a lot of time researching light for reptiles. I can't find any information to support Zanks, but he is right. I just thought I would post the quote to emphasize the importance of complete darkness for reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back