I've gotta ask...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LadyJ

I know this is silly, but I was wondering... what would you do if your large python started to constrict you? I've heard a few instances of it here, but not how they solved the 'problem'... I know you can prevent it by not dangling a massive snake around your neck, but eh, some people still do it.

Online I've heard countless stories of owners keeping a pencil to snap if the python were to constrict them, they claim the python would think it was 'hearing' a bone breaking and release... this is hilarious for so many reasons.

My curiousity got the better of me here - but has anyone had this happen? How'd you stop it? Some insight for a naive lizard owner would be swell... :lol:

Anyone who had a python big enough to be a threat, whether constricting or biting, should be sensible enough to never deal with it without another person being there with them.

always have 1 arm and 1 leg out of the reach:) ..really though, if you have a big big snake as some do ...I personally wouldnt be doing any interaction on my own,when no one else is at home ...have a person on hand ,even if your partner/neighbour isnt that keen on snakes ..if ever there was a time when you needed asistance in removing a tightly coiled snake, you have a better chance having a second person on hand.People in a time of crisis ,can do amazing things ,even if they usually dont have anything to do with say snakes or sharks etc ...

Anyone who had a python big enough to be a threat, whether constricting or biting, should be sensible enough to never deal with it without another person being there with them.

That's what I'd like to think also... some people don't get it - look up Amanda Ruth Black.

Just dont let it get Hungry :D

RE-Amanda Ruth Black, People over there keep retardedly Large snakes that eat larger food items than a average adult women ...What were/are they thinking?!

Last edited:
I've heard not to let pythons go around your neck but i'm sure all the people i've seen with large pythons have the python going behind there neck/shoulders etc (even carpets)...is this a no no? don't have experience in handling large pythons.

If you have lived with the snake for a few years, you'd have a pretty good idea on its behaviour, and yes, i've seen pics of larger pythons draped around the shoulders and have let mine do it, but I would NEVER let them 'encircle' your neck, as for the chest and stomach unless you have confidence that the person standing alongside can assist if needed, i would be avoiding letting them wrap, and a 10yo kid doesnt count as 'help'
as far as i'm aware the common pythons here all constrict. Which would include a human body if it felt the need to hang on tighter because it felt like it was falling as well as the obvious feeding behaviour,

Find a smaller snake, encourage it to wrap around your forearm and then try and try and unwrap it, you will soon see how strong they can be from a very small size, my 3ft Darwin has managed to turn my fingers blue, he was a little scared of falling i think.....

I dont like the idea of a snake around my neck/face/chest area. Doesn't matter how much i trust the snake, i wont drape them on my shoulders. Just personal preference, at the end of the day you cant 100% predict any animals nature!

I did see a show on animal planet where a guy said that the big python he was the keeper of at a zoo
bit, constricted and tried to pull him into the enclousure. lucky for him one of the other keepers got there
just in time but the python wasnt going to let go so he tried pouring hot water on it and it finally let go.
lucky for the first keeper who was unconsious by this stage but alive. he acknowledged he was a Fool for
going to clean the enclousure by himself.

We have all seen pictures of big pythons around peoples necks but most likely most of them would have someone near by to help if need be also anyone with enough exsperience will know the cgaractaristics of there python

We have all seen pictures of big pythons around peoples necks but most likely most of them would have someone near by to help if need be also anyone with enough exsperience will know the cgaractaristics of there python

It's easy to say that, but you never know what an animal will do... I 'knew' my first horse, I 'understood' it, then one day it got a fright from a stick in it's side as we were going for a ride and we both almost got hit by a car.

I don't think I'd wear something that could over-power me as a scarf.

Just wondering though - could you remove the python if that happened? Even with a second person?

Has been a death from this in Aus ..from a BIG scrubbie!!!
The scrubbie at URS is a monster and only take it out where they have few people to help..you can get a diluted alcohol spray to keep on hand ..ment to let go after few sprays in the face ..mean yes..but better then getting killed hahah

Has been a death from this in Aus ..from a BIG scrubbie!!!
The scrubbie at URS is a monster and only take it out where they have few people to help..you can get a diluted alcohol spray to keep on hand ..ment to let go after few sprays in the face ..mean yes..but better then getting killed hahah

Was't aware of that death! And yeah, I've about alcohol and I'd be keeping some on hand if I had a large python... :p

For all those people who say they ''know'' their snake...... i have a Diamond Python, and have had him for 9 years. Last year he decided to take 2 hits to my hand and wrist. Since then he is a little psycho! I am sure many of you rememebr the pics i posted on here hahahaha.

Moral of the story is? I will never trust any snake lol

If you have lived with the snake for a few years, you'd have a pretty good idea on its behaviour, .

I wasn't meaning to infer that you would 100% trust any snake just because you have known it for a few years, what i was trying to say is that during those years that you've been handling it you should be able to interpret muscular constrictions and movements (body language if you like) that it is not its 'normal' self, and act accordingly, eg: put it away, ask your bodyguard to assist before trouble begins, I know i can tell when my Juvi's are not happy... and not because of anything obvious that they do, sometimes its as subtle as hanging onto my arm a little tighter than they normally would when someone strange walks into their comfort zone,

Doesn't really help that I have a passion for your larger species when I stand at 5ft... so once my bredli get over 2m and same with the scrub, it'll be handle with extreme caution, & with another person there.
I've always heard the rule 6ft of snake per person when handling, which I think is a good guideline. You can never EVER fully trust a snake, as even dogs have been known to snap, so what's stopping a snake? And because they definitely aren't domesticated, you and your snake are not going to come off well, if at all... It's common sense

And RE: Scrubbie death - it was never officially proved... They found him dead and the snake out of it's enclosure (But put 2 + 2 together)

And RE: Scrubbie death - it was never officially proved... They found him dead and the snake out of it's enclosure (But put 2 + 2 together)

I am fairly sure that it was proven he died of a heart attack. Not constriction.

At times I use the pythons instinct to constrict to help me catch them. Like in roofs or tight spaces where they have lots of room to grab stuff and you can't get them out. I grab them by the head (this will always illicit them grabbing you and trying to constrict) and then I just walk them out into the open where they are more manageable. i have had 9 footers around my neck but usually they just get around the arm that hold them.
I am a licenced catcher by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back