Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few theories brewing. I think the offspring that have the strongest jag genes may be the ones showing neuro problems. Superform of jag is leucistic as said, these are the ones that show major neuro problems and don't usually survive.

As for jags themselves they're said to originate from the netherlands?

It's supposedly just a random mutation from coastal carpets, but some say there is irian jaya blood and/or cape trib jungle blood in there somewhere.

I myself will be watching the developement of Stock's "Ghost" Darwin. They're said to follow the same genetics as jags but ghost xghost breeding has not been acheived as yet. From what I've seen irian jayas are extremely similar to darwin, once being classed as variegeta, even after jungles etc were seperated into their own subspecies? These as well as other PNG morelia certainly seem more open to random mutations, granite IJs for example.

Darwins being the next best thing. If the Ghost x ghost pops out leucistics that have major neuro problems and die, I'm very suspicious that the original jag could have what we know as "ghost" genes to produce the jag gene, and appear as they do from a heavy coastal influence.

As I've said, these are my little theories that are based on what I've seen, heard and read. I'm definitely not saying this is how it is.

MisLis
dead leucistic carpet pythons are the result of jag to jag breedings
not neuro problems ,
any jag can have neuro problems,
but it appears only a small percentage of jags develope these problems ,
Jags are nice but not worth loosing a reptile collection over ,

Though Jags are nice, I would much rather have a normal coastal. I've seen many jags in person at shows, and really they are interesting, but nothing spectacular. I guess it's different being across the pond and fully immersed in the "Designer" reptile fad. Though the JagXJag breeding undoubtedly causes F-ed up offspring, I would still be wary of jag genetics. Looking at Ball Pythons over the years, some of those morphs are in fact much more then skin-deep.

My question is couldn't the breeder who smuggled the animals in claim they were bred here in captivity? Couldn't just by having a pair of adult coastals in his possession, this breeder justify his jaguar stock? Wouldn't his world disprove any right they have to doubt him and conduct a search?

My question is couldn't the breeder who smuggled the animals in claim they were bred here in captivity? Couldn't just by having a pair of adult coastals in his possession, this breeder justify his jaguar stock? Wouldn't his world disprove any right they have to doubt him and conduct a search?

I think the problem will lie with animals such as these:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes/exciting-pairing-76481

These are reduced pattern proserpines of the highest quality. These came about through good old hard work by Joel and are the best animals of this type I've seen.

The problem I see isn't just with people claiming Jags are proserpines, but with everyone botching fake paperwork and claiming them to be simply coastals bred here in Aus, perhaps some animals like these could be labelled as Jags when in fact they're not?

As I have discussed with some people privately, I feel that once people begin trying to sell Jags on the open market all hell will break loose with customs and fake paperwork etc etc.

I'm just going to sit back and watch it unfold I think. I love jags and definitely want one. But I'll not only be waiting til the heat is off, but til there is established aussie jags of multiple generations. I'll also be choosing who to buy from very carefully. There is a reason custom will want to go after them, the fact that they could carry diseases with the ability to destroy a collection.

The original Jag was bred in Norway in the early 90's and not in America as I am constantly reading on here.

I thought it was up there somewhere. too many people thinking it's an american morph.

Don't want to offend any one or tread on toes but I was told that the Ghost Darwins were incubation morphs.

No, there were rumours that it MAY have been incubation related.

What is it that exactly makes a jag a jag?

i think this has been stated at least several times in this thread alone let alone all the other threads

Edit: forgot to add those prossies that disasterpiece that were bred by Joel are simply stunning!! and pure OZ genetics aswell

There is a reason custom will want to go after them, the fact that they could carry diseases with the ability to destroy a collection.

there is far less chance of them carrying a disease f.o.b, than buying half the stuff here. and besides, if that was the reason, why does every authority turn a blind eye to the hundreds of gtps that have been laundered over the last few years. i think the smugglers might be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back