Jungle python care setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanJungle

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a heat cord set up my thermometer says it's 27 but the heat controller says 34. Assume the heat controller isn't as accurate?. Do they like to be misted with water? What would be a Better heat source? Bulb or floor heating like a mat?

mu5yde5u.jpg

Cheers
Urban jungle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't really c what's going on in that pic... Need close up of floor

I wouldn't bother misting with water, they just go for a swim if its a bit dry, jungles love water. Bulb or heat mat, this is an age old argument with keeping reptiles. Bulbs increase the ambient temp but mats are localised and allow for direct heat when the dude climbs up on top. Up to you really.

get yourself a thermostat, and place the probe in with the heat mat.. for more accurate reading of hot spot. there about $10-25 bucks on ebay. well worth it. id say the thermostat was less accurate. u need it set t 32-33 degrees for a jungle. I have one myself. give him a fair amount of branches to climb on. make sure he has a hide in hot spot. a water bown. and substrates can be paper towel, newspaper or reptile substrate. i use repti bark. expensive but decent. and get him some fake plants. real plants are just a pain. the fake plants will allow him more coverage, security and fit the bill for a jungle.

- - - Updated - - -

heat cord^^^^... does ur heat cord stretch out ier the whole bottom of the enclosure??????? if so. remove it immediately, it needs to cover about 1/4. 1/3 of the enclosure.. no more.... no less.

Can't really c what's going on in that pic... Need close up of floor

The heat cord is zig-zagged along the floor being held down by tape...

To the OP, that probably isn’t the best set-up. Never put tape inside an enclosure. Also, the entire floor space shouldn’t be heated because you won’t get a very good gradient and you especially won’t get much heat up the top where your snake will prefer to spend most of its time. Also, why are you asking what heat to use? You already have a heat cord. Once you sort out how to set that up you don't need a second heat source. The last point about that setup is that it's kind of tiny. You'll be needing an upgrade in 12-18 months tops.

To answer your other questions - Yes thermostats can be incorrect but the most likely reason that your thermometer is saying 27° is because heat cord doesn’t do a great job of heating up the air, especially with your set up where it is attached directly to the glass. You need something to diffuse the heat like a tile or piece of slate. You don't need to mist Jungles either.

Did you do some research into how to set up an enclosure and what requirements Jungles have before you started this?

Last edited:
Just set the heat cord like that to test how well it was heating. There going to be in click clacks anyway. The thermometer and thermostat prob were in the same place. I do plan on upgrading just needed something secure and easy to move.

If they'll be in click clacks then you just need to set up the heat cord to make your own heat pad. It's a really good way to do it and you'll only need the one cord for both.

Ended up buying a exoterra heat wave substrate Heater that covers 1/4 of both the click clacks and was told that the thermometer/hydrometer only measures the ambient temp and won't measure the heating source? Set the thermostat to 34 with a 5 degree heat range.

Cheers urban jungle

It will measure the air temp where you put the probe, go on ebay and look for a temp gun so you can measure the floor temp above the heat source because the air temp is usually a couple degrees lower. You can get them for 11 bucks including postage(might take a while to arrive though cos they come from china). Your thermostat should be the same, mine cuts off when the air temp hits 28 but the floor temp is 32. I found that putting a tile over the heat source keeps the temps more stable and slowly heats up so the thermostat isn't switching on and off every couple minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back