Jungle python is eating fine but not constricting at all?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

undecidead

Reaction score
Hey, lately my jungle python has not been constricting her food and was just wondering if it should be a concern. Previously, she had constricted multiple meals but lately she has not. She has all the normal signs of interest before she strikes but when she does, she no longer constricts but she does eat fine. Also she seems quite aggressive after her feed, is this simply because she wants to be left alone?

Thanks once again for your help.

Wouldn't worry too much as long as it's eating. In the wild this one just may have not survived. Captive bred snakes who have never been fed a live feed sometimes don't have that 'killer instinct'. One of my Bhp's is the same however is getting slightly more of an aggressive strike with age. And yes some snakes like to be left alone and fear that you will try to take their precious 'kill' away from them. After being fed they are also still in feeding mode hoping for another food item be it a hand or a rat. I keep a distance after feeding.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I have been doing some minor research just now; it could be that the mouse isn't warm enough to get interest. So maybe if it's heated a tiny bit more might want to constrict perhaps? Because all I have been doing is putting luke-warm water into a jar and putting the mouse into a snap-block bag and then sitting the bag in the water, by the time the mouse has thawed the water is room tempurature.

Yeh jungles have heat pits and pick up on temps of food. I ensure I warm my food (ESP for carpets) just prior to feeding. Just give it a zap in hot (not too hot lol) water prior to serving. Also I just tempt my 'soft' feeder. I waft it a little and hold off and make him come after it rather than feeding quick and fast. Seems to make him want it more and gets him excited.

Prey needs to be blood temp not room temp. Once thawed change the water with more hot water from the tap to heat it to blood temp.
Remove as much air from the bag as possible by pushing it under water before closing it and keep it submerged with something heavy, it then heats all round, not just the bit in contact with the water.

A game of tug'o'war soon gets the feeding response going. Once he's grabbed it just grab the prey with the tongs and give it a bit of a tug... They soon hang on to it tighter !
And yes, once fed they'll be on the look out for more 'just in case'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back