Keeping Lacies indoors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathinfire

Reaction score
Hey how many ppl here keep lacies indoors?

I wanted to know how large are ppls indoors kept lacies and what size enclosure you guys use to house them in.

If members have pics and could post them here that would be a bonus :) :wink:
Cheers
DF

You could just use an aviary, with basking lamps added of course. (We're talking about adults right?)

You could just use an aviary, with basking lamps added of course. (We're talking about adults right?)

I live in canberra and it gets really, really, REALLY cold in winter. So housing them outdoors would be a no go.

And yes adults

Sorry, i meant you could have the aviary inside the house.

oh ok, i would consider it if i could, but space here is worth a million bucks.

Also i would prefer to have a large wooden enlcosure rather than an indoor avairy ( I dont think the family would be too keen on making inside the house looking like a farm) :)

i have an idea, make your bedroom the lacies enclosure and put an aivery around your bed so they dont annoy when your trying to sleep?

i have an idea, make your bedroom the lacies enclosure and put an aivery around your bed so they dont annoy when your trying to sleep?

HAHAHA nice one spike dawgs

:lol:
IMO u would be best off giving them an entire room or build them an insulated shed if u have the cash.

If space is limited i would be looking for a different species to purchase. Lacies grow very large and are quite active, so they need a large enclosure.

re Keeping

Gday Mr Death,juveniles inside no worrys dude,adults may reguire your lounge room plus with skylights and trees growing through the floor an stuff (buy juv then keep outside when he gets big) :D

The Ballarat wildlife part has an excellent out door set up for their lacies. I would expect that Ballarat has a similar climate to Canberra... it is certainly Victoria's coldest rural city.

It is a large pit with some trees and a big tree house high in the middle.

Canberra is inside the laccies natural range, as long as they are of a descent size and are well feed they will be fine outside, just be careful moving younuns out, do it at the very start of summer, so as they can aclimatise to the temps gradually.

like the others have said, keep them outdoors but I would make some sort of heat box for them to go into when it gets really cold, make it out of waterproof ply line with foam and then thin ply on the inside of the box so their claws dont rip the foam to shreds. For heating there would be 2 ways. Either paint the ply black so it absorbs the heat during the day and the foam will help retain the heat during the night or get one of those heat cords from URS or herpshop and put it between the foam and the thin inside layer of ply. Either way the hide should take the chill off them when it gets down to the minus temps which it seems to do for a couple of months down there.

I would expect that Ballarat has a similar climate to Canberra... it is certainly Victoria's coldest rural city.
That is correct!!! :)

Thanks guys, il have to wait and see if my household will accept a proposal for a pit.

Here locally the owner of canberra exotics, keeps a lacy in a 3ish ft, no larger than 4ft indoor enclosure, the lacy is actually larger than the enclosure itself (TL) and it seems to be doing fine, but has very little room for movement.
What are ppls opinions on this?

Also what is the average size of captive lacies? do they tend to be smaller than wild animals?

deathinfire said:
Here locally the owner of canberra exotics, keeps a lacy in a 3ish ft, no larger than 4ft indoor enclosure, the lacy is actually larger than the enclosure itself (TL) and it seems to be doing fine, but has very little room for movement.
What are ppls opinions on this?
quote]
thats just wrong

Yep Mr Death its just plain cruel keeping a large lacey in a little enclosure like that,varanids need exercise . :)

deathinfire said:
What are ppls opinions on this?quote]

WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back