Keeping Lacies indoors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the enclosure/monitor you're talking about?

yes it is :)

from one side to the other its shorter than the lacies TL, and front to back depth is less than 2ft, not including the space taken from the rock background

Here locally the owner of canberra exotics, keeps a lacy in a 3ish ft, no larger than 4ft indoor enclosure, the lacy is actually larger than the enclosure itself (TL) and it seems to be doing fine, but has very little room for movement.
What are ppls opinions on this?
not too much too say that wouldnt get me kicked off the site, if i was u i would report him to everyone u could, u could tie up any animal so it cant move at all and still keep it alive(doesnt make it right tho), maybe stick him in a 44 drum for a week or 2 and c how he feels :twisted:
Although it is possible it is just in there for display ask him before reporting him.

get a smaller goanna if you want to keep it in side, have you ever smelt lacie crap ,it STINKS. the cage should be at least double the lenth of the animal. 3 foot lacie 6x3x3 foot cage.

Hi all,

the photos are not the same as the enclosure that the lacy is in. It is in a temporary enclosure over winter. It is kept in an outdoor enclosure during summer. Lace monitors do not survive well in Canberra over winter. We had minus 7 here last night.

The photos were taken from his website. www.exoticpets.com.au

You should get all the facts before trying to shoot down somebody. Call the owner if you have any questions, rather than going off half cocked. I do not work for this guy, and he is busting his gut trying to get a reptile business going. His displays are very good, and he has always listened to any advice from others to improve his business.

If anybody is interested, the lacies outdoor enclosure is 3m by 3m by 2.5m

Get all the facts before flaming anybody

Hey before knocking Pete or the way he keeps his animals why not go and check it out! You might even learn something while your there apart from the phone numbers of all the ppl you could dob him in to!!!!!! This is what will kill reptile keeping here in Australia. There are 3 types of reptile keepers in australia those that are professionals that have literature in print, species named after them and are attempting to take reptile keeping to a new hieght, the second being those that aspire to be professional and thirdly those idiots that have read 1 or 2 reptile books own 1 basic reptile and will profess to know all and all about everyone else! pisses me off to no end.

mrboajangles said:
deathinfire said:
Here locally the owner of canberra exotics, keeps a lacy in a 3ish ft, no larger than 4ft indoor enclosure, the lacy is actually larger than the enclosure itself (TL) and it seems to be doing fine, but has very little room for movement.
What are ppls opinions on this?
quote]
thats just wrong

That Sucks if that was the full time enclouser as it not and is only for winter nothing wrong with it as monitors are less active then.

Ozboy and Memphis, good on you both. Not only was it minus 7 last night, it was also minus 1 at midday yesterday. DOES ANYONE WANT TO LEAVE THEIR REPTILES OUTSIDE IN THOSE TEMPS. Those that know Pete know that he wouldn't neglect his animals in anyway. What is seen in the shop is his personal display. The word here is DISPLAY. Pete has provided endless support and advise to many of us Herp Keepers and as a customer and a friend I'll happily say wake up to yourselves. Does anyone start slagging the "Reputable" breeders who keep theri animals in cramped, fouled plastic tubs year round because they don't have enough room. It sometimes seems that unless you have a nationally known name you're there to be a target.

Oh, and Mr Bredli, I assume you contacted Pete and gained his permission to post pictures of his animals and displays.

You should all be ashamed.

Lucas.

deathinfire said:
You could just use an aviary, with basking lamps added of course. (We're talking about adults right?)

I live in canberra and it gets really, really, REALLY cold in winter. So housing them outdoors would be a no go.

And yes adults

Are you aware that they live around the Canberra region ! and that having them outside in a big enough aviary set up with enough shelter and heating is not such a bad idea.Having adults that get to 2 meters in length and require room to move in your house,do you think that is a good idea? :)

I know that lacie she and Pete are good friends of mine.So Mr Boajangles do you enter Canberra Exotic pets as a regular customer? Are you one of the ppl that talk to the ppl there? Do you ask for advice and always had a plesant response?
I have a problem with this and someone from Canberra doing this to a friend of mine.First of all a big slice of the Canberra comunity who own reptiles go there for advice,go there for food,and for supplies not to mention some pretty kick a*** enclosures.
This friend of mine has made it posible for herp people in the ACT to have this access he has pretty much opened his home to you and the rest of the herping comunity here in the ACT.I WAS VOLENTEERING THERE FOR 2 YEAERS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY ONE WORK THAT HARD IN MY LIFE MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY.That lacie is only there for short periods
Breeze in breeze out and just assume :x

sorry Mrbojangles I thought you wrote it and it was acctually deathfire :)

Lucas said:
Oh, and Mr Bredli, I assume you contacted Pete and gained his permission to post pictures of his animals and displays.

Don't worry Lucas, any income i receive through posting Pete's images will be forwarded to him in due course, last thing we want is a law suit on our hands :roll:

:lol:

P.S. I have nothing against Pete at all, i have a great deal of respect for him and his business.

The guy I bought my young lacie from is a Dr of Herpetology and only keeps lacies. He lives in a 1 bedroom flat in Neutral Bay and has a double indoor enclosure for his adult pair. They provide at least 2 clutches a year and seem very content with their enclosures. Of coruse, they are made to a similar standard to a wildlife park display enclosure but in terms of size they are each about 1.2m x 1.2 m x 2.4 m high. Heat is provided by way of big mercury vapours at the top and there is a great fake rock wall fro them to climb and heat up.

He lets them out in the flat wehn he gets home from work.

And advantage of keeping them inside is that they stay tamer. He handles his with no troubles.

After visiting this set up I would have no hesitation in keeping lacies indoors in similar conditions.

The Dr Peter is refering to, has some stunning Lacies.
I was very impressed; they appeared to be very tame; apart of the family.
He sent a incrediable photo of two large animals, contented to mate on the living room floor rug.....simply stunning!!!

DC has Perenties, last i heard he still had 2 juveniles for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back