Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincey

Reaction score
So, i just received my license renewal and all that jazz- Time to start hunting for that lizard/dragon!

Due to WA laws being pretty lame as to what we can keep, I've had my eyes on a larger sort of lizard. Haven't heard much of these little fellas and I'm curious as to why.

King Skinks

I've searched threads here but there is VERY LITTLE information about them. I'm not asking for how to house or feed (although any input is openly appreciated). More-so people's experiences with them and how they are as a general pet- before i start looking into how to house them and what-not.

And this may seem a silly question, but how easy is it for it to lose its tail?

Thanks, Vince.

Last edited:
Whether you keep them or you friend of a friend keeps them, just some sort of info! Nobody seems to like them but I think they look pretty damn cool :p but looks aren't everything! Help me out!

as king skinks are native to the southwest not many people have paid the rediculous WA prices plus the CALM royalty of 185 bucks to move animals out of the state plus around 150 for freight out of WA however i think danny brown has some and i have experience with king skinks also

they are a largeish communal egernia they are just like keeping other egernia's and are easy to keep/breed

just give them the biggest enclosure you can afford get as many as you can aford (3-5 is a decent group) provide rocky crevices to hide in and a hot basking spot, shovel them with insects and fruit/veg and they should start dropping litters of mini king skinks for you to send to me in qld! lol

haha! yeah i wanted to get three but my budget says 2. not to mention it'll be 1 for me and 1 for my girlfriend who i live with, might be better having two. I was talking to ken from reptiletrader and he said they CAN have a nasty bite to them. Any idea about this?

And that's understandable about the freighting etc. never thought of it, doh.

well yes most lizards that arnt gecko sized have a nice bite i primarily keep monitors and they have the worst bite of them all, you will learn how to handle them though and if they are captive bred and not wild caught they should be very relaxed about captive life

just out of interest how much is ken going to slug you for a pair of kings? if you want my personal opinion deal with Gary Davis (west aussie reptiles) or dave macintosh (pilbara pythons)

Kenshin- Ken doesn't have any in stock, not to mention he's the easiest one for me to actually see face to face.

Shane- Thanks for that, sent him a pm

Kenshin- Ken doesn't have any in stock, not to mention he's the easiest one for me to actually see face to face.

Shane- Thanks for that, sent him a pm

no need to get upity, was only making the suggestion for good reason but you go ahead, all good, hope you get your kings they are nice egernia's, and are fun to watch interact with eachother

no need to get upity, was only making the suggestion for good reason but you go ahead, all good, hope you get your kings they are nice egernia's, and are fun to watch interact with eachother

haha, the problem with the internet kenshin! im not being uppity at all, if anything im thankful for your kind replies. :)

was just explaining that gary and dave are a tad far away ><

Last edited:
I have a few in my yard, one has given me a nasty nip. They are good once they are used to you being around. There is a couple of young ones too.

haha, the problem with the internet kenshin! im not being uppity at all, if anything im thankful for your kind replies. :)

was just explaining that gary and dave are a tad far away ><

yea you can order off dave and get whatever you like sent down via aus air express dosent cost much

and gary you can meet closer to perth or again get aae to you

Last edited:
Yeah the reason i wanted to see the person whom i deal with face-to-face is to:
A) Pick one/two which i like
B) Have a general talk and hold of them prior to purchase to decidce
C) I dont like the whole freighting thing, I know most of the time its good, perfect. Just dont like it :p

Thanks again Kenshin

Mmm, 2ft sounds nice. :p Much better than tiny little western beardies over here!
Life span?

Kings

Hi mate, I have had two adult king's skinks for about 2 years now. Mine are very active, and don't hesitate to chase my hands out the enclosure, with mouths open.That being said, the person i bought them off kept a very tame one house with an equally tame land mullet.
Mine are housed in a 4x2x2 foot melamine enclosure, with a 75watt spot lamp at one end, and a UVB5.0 compact globe in the middle of the ceiling. I don't believe UV is absolutely nessacery, but i'm using it and they're thriving. Sand subtrate, URS big corner bowl, and a rocky custom hide furnish the setup. Feed them anything you'd feed a bluey: insects, vegie mix, soaked lizard pellets, tinned cat food etc. I'm using a thermostat on the heat end reading an ambient temp of 25-27 degrees.
As mentioned before, my particular lizards don't like being handled but make active display animals.

Attachments

• DSC02758.JPG
    DSC02758.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC02763.JPG
    DSC02763.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 199
I know they're awesome little critters, but i want something larger. I'd LOVE to own an EBD. Absolutely love. But cant. Once im eligible for Cat. 4 i'll be getting a ridge-tail monitor.

I know they're awesome little critters, but i want something larger. I'd LOVE to own an EBD. Absolutely love. But cant. Once im eligible for Cat. 4 i'll be getting a ridge-tail monitor.

I could applie for mine now too, but my mum is a bit hesitant cos we might be moving. Would get ackies, Frilly and Woma's :p

Tiliqua- What if i were to get them from a younger age, more likely to be a tad more tame? I've heard around they dont like humans :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back