Large collections - How are we going to heat them in the future?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

I am in the process of setting up all new enclosures for the ERD collection. One of the biggest (and most obvious) stumbling blocks we have hit, is how we are going to provide sufficient heat to our snakes in a cost effective way.

As nearly everyone knows, the energy inefficient incandescent globes are almost a thing of the past. The means no more 25/40/60 watt blue party globes. This is how we were planning on heating our enclosures - it costs less than $10 per enclosure to set up (1 x power lead, 1 x light fitting, 1 x bulb), and when connected to a dimming thermostat, you may only need to replace individual globes a maximum of 4 times a year.

The options we are now limited to are commercial globes (including ceramics), which are way too expensive, or using different styles of heating such as heat panels or heat cord.

I use heat cord to heat everything housed in racks, but it's incredibly labour intensive to heat conventional enclosures with it. You'd need to route a grove into the base of the enclosure, lay the heat cord, cover it with something like Masonite or Hardiflex, seal it and then coat it with Estapol. This would also render the enclosures unusable for atleast a few days.

Heat panels are a great idea, except it costs at least $100 per enclosure to set up...but after that, there are no ongoing costs except the electricity they use.

Has anyone looked into importing mass amounts of coloured party bulbs from overseas? Will it be illegal to do so? What other ideas have people come up with to heat large collections? What about goanna's and dragons?

Is there any chance suppliers like herp shop etc can still bring in bulbs for this specific uses such as animal husbandry? Or is it a total ban of non energy efficient bulbs?

I'll be slowly switching over to heat panels, for the 10 or so enclosures i need to run it's not that big an outlay considering i shouldn't have to change them once fitted.

Jonno, have you considered making your own heat panels? route a piece of thin melamine (or deep grooves), place in the heat cord and simply screw it onto the roof of enclosures. I haven't tried it but thinking about it. if it did work it would be a bit of a saver with regards to electricity bills if you could use one cord over a few tanks.

I never knew you could use just party globes??? why cant you get them anymore??? do they work the same as the infared globes??? with putting out heat??

jonno mate..

coles.... lighting section

bottom shelf

thats where u will find your coloured bulbs.

we had to get some a few weeks back for a party.
they come in a pack of 4
red
blue
yellow
green
by as many as u can.

ALSO let ebay be your friend.

I have always routed mine too, but i just set up a stacker for some antaresia ,could not have been bothered routing as I do it most days for others so I just sat the cord on the bottom and placed a big heavy tile on it , a bit of silicon round the edges and it will be fine , saves doing all the rout work ....1 x 6m cord is running the whole set up ....nice and simple as wokka said

For lizards im going to buy a few hundred halogen lights before they gets phased out. I think we should still be able to import them after they are phased out, but i cant find any details.

I made a heat thingy for my spencers monitor out of a heat cord a hebil block(aerated concrete) and a piece of steel sheet, it worked very well untill they heat cord go severed at another point somehow(circuit is on a rcd so no real danger)... i dont use heat cords with large goannas now. It would probably be safe if the goannas couldnt directly access the cord. Its also possible to make heat rocks from concrete that can be heated by cords.

With heat cords i just put them inside larger snake enclosures, wrapped around branches or coiled up in hides.

I get mine from Bunnings. Lightin section, red party lights, usually about $2 each. Don't last as long as the exensive reptile globes but still save heaps more replacing those a couple of times than replacing one expensive globe. They still had them the last time I stocked up, a couple of month ago. Am due again soon, so better stock up maybe?

this is what Danny Wrote on an alternative site
Some incandescent alternative testing results
With the eventual phase out of Incandescent bulbs I am looking for some alternatives for my zoo.
The new Phillips Halo spotone is a 50 w, 30 degree, 240 v, halogen lamp but on an ES or BC base. Similar price to a reflector globe. I have found them available at Bunnings, woolworths and Big W but very few lighting stores (3/5 had never heard of them).
As a basking lamp, on a terra cotta tile I achieved 45 C at 10-12 cm and 30 C at 17-20 cm.
Removal of the glass filter is hopeless and results in lots of broken glass and pointless as the UVB readings were appalling (only 20 UW/cm 2 at 10 cm). They are however a very good, cost effective, heat efficient, not being phased out yet, alternative to a 40-60 W reflector

I've done the routing thing you described with eight enclosures, using glass to cover it up and aquarium silicone to seal it. It works nicely but yeah, it's labour intensive. You only need to do it once every ten years, so in the long term it's not a lot of work. I think I put up a step by step series of pictures about two or three years ago.

You can make heat panels out of heat cords using several methods, including threading it through aviary mesh and covering it up with something. It doesn't look professional, but it's servicable, quick, cheap and unlike the old batten holder/globe deal, it's legal to wire yourself (if you're worried about costs, presumably that's what you're doing).

Blue globes are pretty crap anyway. I wouldn't build an enclosure using them even if they were going to be around forever. For basking lamps (monitors etc) I'm sure there will be halogens etc for a long time to come, and if you were really desperate you could use car headlights, which would be cheap, legal, easy and very funky. All you'd need would be a few basic tools including a hammer to smash things up with, a 12 volt adaptor and a little monkey on your shoulder so you'd have something to be disgusted by while you were working.

At this stage only normal (pear shaped) incandescants are being phased out.Near the end of the year wholesalers will be no longer able to import them.Shops however have another 12 months grace to be able to sell existing stocks.

At this stage to my knowledge halogens aren't in the firing line.

I think We are lucky in QLD in that we can get away with only using a low wattage heatcord/mat to provide heating to reptiles. I grout my heatcord and cap with slate or tile, IMO substrate heating is the most reliable and cheap heating option, (thermostat costs aside)

Buy in bulk now before its too late..

A pallet of light globes should last a while.

I was thinking about a hydronic set-up for my latest set-up (a bank of ten...and then some)...but it was delving into some pretty unfamiliar territories for me and I wasn’t prepared to risk any of my animals. …Hmmmm……

Anyway, it would use a 50tlr hot water service, a heating set-up controlled by either a thermostatic mixing valve or a tempering valve, a crap-load of copper piping woven through the enclosures via a protected MDF panel (or similar) and a small, low voltage circulation pump on the return pipe.

Like I said, I’d thought about it, but didn’t go down that avenue. My advice would be to talk to an engineer in the mech departments and work out the possibilities. It’d cost you the price of running a small HWS and a low voltage pump. How you’d be able to electronically & automatically adjust those temps would have to be reviewed. (I’m sure it could be done!) …I suckered out for ceramics and probe thermos ;)

I was thinking about a hydronic set-up for my latest set-up (a bank of ten...and then some)...but it was delving into some pretty unfamiliar territories for me and I wasn’t prepared to risk any of my animals. …Hmmmm……

Anyway, it would use a 50tlr hot water service, a heating set-up controlled by either a thermostatic mixing valve or a tempering valve, a crap-load of copper piping woven through the enclosures via a protected MDF panel (or similar) and a small, low voltage circulation pump on the return pipe.

Like I said, I’d thought about it, but didn’t go down that avenue. My advice would be to talk to an engineer in the mech departments and work out the possibilities. It’d cost you the price of running a small HWS and a low voltage pump. How you’d be able to electronically & automatically adjust those temps would have to be reviewed. (I’m sure it could be done!) …I suckered out for ceramics and probe thermos ;)

The good thing about this is you can use solar power too, so you could get away with no power costs most of the time :) It is a lot of effort though, i cant see myself bothing to do anything like that anytime soon. It would be a good project if i wasnt lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back