Large collections - How are we going to heat them in the future?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jono.

Obviously you have thought about ambient temps etc, & I guess you'll have them in a min temp controlled room which means less heating required to achieve temps & gradients.

Anyway, I'm in the process of building 3 banks of 3 enclosures, 1200 x 600 x 600. I have the problem of very low ambient temps of a night during winter, so I have a mixture of 160w thermofilm heat panels & the new habistat panels. The first bank is finished & running fine using a habistat dimmer to run all three thermofilm units. The probe is placed in the 'master' cabinet & the other 2 have been wired through an IMIT thermo which is used as a safety cut-out & is set just above my max temps. My neighbour is a leccy & wires them for me in about 3 minutes each if I have everything ready.

It's expensive, but I don't have a live-in g/f to nag me about $$! The thermofilm units are $100 each, plus thermostats add another $160, making it $460 each bank. The good side is that I have heaps of power in reserve, looks great, lasts indefinitely, the fitting is an absolute breeze & there are no light cages to make or buy. (hate them light cages)

If I were in coastal QLD, (or any other warm place, or when I get my new house finished) I would do the same except for replacing the heat panels with home made units using a frame of folded colorbond steel or extruded aluminium, with a heat cord zip-tied onto a wire frame. Cover it with shade cloth, mount it on the ceiling & it's done. Sounds like a lot of mucking about but it's pretty simple really, & it will save about $60 per cabinet.

I also use ceramics in ES flanged fittings in my older cabinets, which is cheaper but more labour intensive to wire up & you still have to make those light cages. Did I mention I hate making those damn light cages?

Good luck with it,

Col J.

Funny thing the old incandescant. They call them inefficient, but that is for light not heat.
As far as energy efficient lighting goes they make good heaters.

That is why they are being phased out.

I have bought out the local hardware store and have a supply that should last a while. But I am also using halogen 35w or 50 w, heat cord and heat panels and heat mats.

The halogens work well, and will be around for ages.

I am in the process off building a really well insulated shed, complete with vents and fans for summer. To me this will be by far the most expensive set up but once up and running I only need a basking site to each enclosure which will be halogen globe. And I can sell all my left over gear.
For big collections this has to be the best way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back