Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmeh103

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have this lazy Stimson python, don't get me wrong she is very active in her enclosure, the lazy part comes at meal time. She has been getting increasingly lazy with eating, particularly striking her food. She use to strike every meal but of late she opens her mouth and simply waits until I push the fuzzies head in.

Does this happen to anyone else, do you think it will create problems in the future? I just thought this to be odd behavior is all! Can't find anything on this subject?

Hi all,

So I have this lazy Stimson python, don't get me wrong she is very active in her enclosure, the lazy part comes at meal time. She has been getting increasingly lazy with eating, particularly striking her food. She use to strike every meal but of late she opens her mouth and simply waits until I push the fuzzies head in.

Does this happen to anyone else, do you think it will create problems in the future? I just thought this to be odd behavior is all! Can't find anything on this subject?

I am very new at this but what i have learned is that if you ask a question the first things experienced keepers will NEED to know before they can offer advice is the following at a minimum.

1 Age and size of snake
2 Current feeding regime. IE what and how often
3 General housing conditions. Temps in particular

Without that info any reply is just going to be a stab in the dark. I am sure if you give some details there will be a wealth of knowledge ready to help you out.
Cheers
Damian

Mate with my stimsons and spotted pythons, if I leave the rat or mouse on the floor of the enclosure quite often they will simply come up and begin to swallow it without striking. They only usually strike when I dangle the food about in front of them. Being in captivity I guess they don't really ever need to coil their food so they probably only do it when their coil reflex is triggered by movement or something like that, like you dangling the mouse in front of them. That said though, my olive python will smash anything, moving or just lying there.

i have a water python and rough scale python that does this its quite funny. the water python is 6 years old and has been doing it since she was about 2 i have had no problems with either snakes that do this.

I used to hand feed my geckos as it was fun. But then i didnt have the time and i noticed that they were lazy and didnt go for food. So i left it 4 days without food then they jumped at the food when it was put in. Problem solved for the two now. But not sure about the snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back