Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyDanny80

Reaction score
I scored a 4ft timber enclosure in immaculate condition for a bargain price... I intend to keep a juvenile frill neck lizard in there... I've looked at putting down lights in but am not keen on having them sticking out the top with bare wires etc...

I'm planning on using an MVB bulb mounted internally & have researched running a LED lighting strip mounted to the ceiling along the back... So long as basking, hot end & cold end temps are maintained I can't see any downsides to using LED strips to light the enclosure... Anyone had experience using these?

Should have no dramas if you are covering UV with a MVB'S. I would suggest 5050 LEDs (0.5x0.5mm LEDs) as they put out a decent amount of light. It will probably be trial an error with how many rows you actually need to provide enough light though.

Rick

Should have no dramas if you are covering UV with a MVB'S. I would suggest 5050 LEDs (0.5x0.5mm LEDs) as they put out a decent amount of light. It will probably be trial an error with how many rows you actually need to provide enough light though.

Rick

Thanks Rick... Yeah I envisaged there may be some back & forward with style & size of LED.. I think I'll make the purchase locally & with a bit of luck there may be some examples in their showroom etc..

Thanks Rick... Yeah I envisaged there may be some back & forward with style & size of LED.. I think I'll make the purchase locally & with a bit of luck there may be some examples in their showroom etc..

Locally LEDs are way over priced, considering the majority of them are made overseas price should reflect this. I brought a 5m roll of ebay for $26 an locally for the exactly same thing they were asking $150...

Rick

Locally LEDs are way over priced, considering the majority of them are made overseas price should reflect this. I brought a 5m roll of ebay for $26 an locally for the exactly same thing they were asking $150...

Rick

Wow... Ok thx for heads up... Ill go to the show room... Find out what I need then buy online lol...

I got some 'blue' LED strip for dim 'moonlighting' in one of my enclosures - I only had to use 3 of the LED's to achieve my result (The strip I got can be 'cut' every 3 LED's and wires soldered to the strip).

Mine are from an overseas Hobby Shop that have a warehouse in Australia - About $5 for a roll plus postage (can combine several rolls of different colors for the same postage) delivered in about 4 or 5 days to the east coast.

I got some 'blue' LED strip for dim 'moonlighting' in one of my enclosures - I only had to use 3 of the LED's to achieve my result (The strip I got can be 'cut' every 3 LED's and wires soldered to the strip).

Mine are from an overseas Hobby Shop that have a warehouse in Australia - About $5 for a roll plus postage (can combine several rolls of different colors for the same postage) delivered in about 4 or 5 days to the east coast.

I got a few blue ones but they are very bright even in the sections of 3. Are yours 5050's?

Rick

It's worth checking jaycar for LED strips. I've found them very reasonably priced, and atleast then you can take them back if anything goes wrong. That said, you've got to get them wired up to a transformer (which they also sell) so I'm supposed to tell you to get an electrician. I use LED strips for my python enclosures since they don't need UV so much, and they light things up quite well.

My only concern would be shielding the LEDs and the wiring from direct heat and UV, since it can do funny things to plastic.

It's worth checking jaycar for LED strips. I've found them very reasonably priced, and atleast then you can take them back if anything goes wrong. That said, you've got to get them wired up to a transformer (which they also sell) so I'm supposed to tell you to get an electrician. I use LED strips for my python enclosures since they don't need UV so much, and they light things up quite well.

My only concern would be shielding the LEDs and the wiring from direct heat and UV, since it can do funny things to plastic.

I thought ya didnt need a sparky if it was 12v? There are adaptors that come with plugs, all you need to do is solder a connector to the led strip and plug it into the transformer.

Heatshrink works wonders for keeping connections away from damage, also liquid electical tape.

Rick

I care more about what you can do safely and responsibly than about the regulations... atleast for things like light and heat elements and things you can plug in.

I got a few blue ones but they are very bright even in the sections of 3. Are yours 5050's?

Rick

Wouldn't have a clue...Only know that the RC aircraft hobbyists love them for night flying. They come on a copper like strip with 3M adhesive backing. The strips are 1 metre in length/ 60 LED's per strip with a current draw of 400ma (0.4A). I used 3 LED's to provide a blue moonlight to my Bredli enclosure....Is still a little bright but I they can only be cut into minimums of 3 LED lengths.

aje2y8uz.jpg

Found an alternative that's going to create the visual effect I'm looking for & is very simple to install...

aje2y8uz.jpg

Found an alternative that's going to create the visual effect I'm looking for & is very simple to install...

Nice and slim :) Should do the trick nicely. Make sure to throw up some pics of the enclosure once its finished.

Rick

I thought ya didnt need a sparky if it was 12v? There are adaptors that come with plugs, all you need to do is solder a connector to the led strip and plug it into the transformer.

Heatshrink works wonders for keeping connections away from damage, also liquid electical tape.

Rick

ELV is generally ok as a layman, as is mains as long as it's not a permanent installation (not for Queensland though, can't legally work with mains regardless) which means if it has a plug on it, you can do what ever you want.

If your lighting is inside of the enclosure you'll just want to make sure there isn't a chance of the animal unplugging it accidentally, and ensuring the wires have adequate strain relief if they're hard wired to prevent them from being pulled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back