Legal Drinking Age

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Valid point Elapid, I do get your point of view (from your other replies). I know everyone will always be divided on topics like this, and they'd never actually change it anyway.

Some people like to get drunk etc, others don't... The only thing I'd like is if the people who like alcohol would just behave more reasonably. I don't so much think its actually about the alcohol, more the maturity level of the people involved.. and I don't think the alcohol helps! lol :lol:

Do you ever think that sometimes people just need a break from studying? Perhaps maybe people that are studying for a degree which may indeed be a lot more stressful than your own?

If they don't harm anyone I don't see the problem.
If you live the rest of your life like a drone than I do feel very sorry for you

Personally, I think we should leave the drinking age how it is and focus more on illicit drugs.
I'm really sick of so many people I know dropping out of school because drugs are better. Really ****s me off.
This kid at my school when we were in Year 10 was in advanced maths and science, getting A's in both. He was also really popular and played a lot of sports and stuff. Then he started doing drugs, I dunno what happened to him but he left school that year, haven't heard from him since then. Nobody I know has been effected anywhere near that by alcohol.

So why are you assuming I'm a drone? as I previously mentioned, you don't need to have alcohol to enjoy your life, though you and others will most likely disagree.

Are you also implying that vet science is not a stressful degree? If I get stressed and need a study break, as previously mentioned I'll go out and look for wildlife, go to the beach or something like that.

Naledge I definitely agree with that (i.e. focusing more on drug use).

And the problem is that drinking excessive amounts of alcohol can cause harm to more people than you may believe. Drink driving, brauls etc? How many people end up in hospitals as a result?

At least we are back on topic now lol, I dont agree with people say wy spend money on alcohol its a waste and what not, i find my self well set for a young person doing well in lofe, no i didnt go to tafe no i didnt go to uni, but i new i could get places and i have, i drink a fair few nights a week, doesnt mean im stupid or immature, when i get home from work i alctually look more forward to a beer then i do dinner.

May sound strange to some but thats me not stating i get drunk all the time tho.

So for the people who are saying they disagree with drinking, do you condone it at your family outings? Family birthdays?

for it......... wont stom kids 13 -21 drinking in parks though!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everyone who likes alcohol is stupid or immature, I apologize if thats what you thought I meant.

In regard to family birthdays, outings etc, some of my aunts, uncles and grandparents may share a bottle of wine, but thats all :) I do understand a lot of people like the taste of it, I just don't think its appropriate when some teens go out and get drunk whenever the have the opportunity. It often seems as though its just for status and to look cool.

I'm just not sure that some teenagers (not saying all) realise the impacts of their drinking, which is why I would support moving the age limit to 21yrs... As I've mentioned, some like alcohol, some don't, its down to personal tastes, as well as some other motives...

I've been waiting 17 years to turn 18 so I can legally do "adult" things, drink, go clubbing, tattoos, and be classed as a "responsibl individual" and not need my parents permission or supervision for everything.. Basically everything fun these days you need to be 18 to do.
If they raise it to 21, would the already 18 year olds still be able to do these things legally?
Just like when they changed the laws for P Platers? I hope it doesn't happen in the next year, otherwise I'll be very very disappointed:( But I agree with others, it still wouldn't stop underage people getting their hands on alcohol. Alcohol is really easy for underage people to get their hands, especially since most of them will have at least one 18 year old friend. Even if they do raise it, people under 21 will still drink. It might stop club fights, glassings and all that, but why should the rest of us be punished for some stupid idiots choices(the people starting the abuse)?
It might save lives at the end of the day, but what about the people who have done the right thing? They shouldn't be punished.. but whatever, I can't see them doing it to soon. Fingers crossed :p

Last edited:
In my opinion, doing this will only create more under-age parties, and more under-age drinkers on the street.

Yes bring the legal age of drinking up to 21 and the government also need to man up and ban smoking too wile they are at it

Yes bring the legal age of drinking up to 21 and the government also need to man up and ban smoking too wile they are at it
booze has stuffed up more people than smokes ever will so why ban smokes and no i dont smoke

booze has stuffed up more people than smokes ever will so why ban smokes and no i dont smoke

Because my partner is allergic to the rubbish in smokes. It also costs us tax payers more money than it brings in and its dame right disgusting

We can't even go to the shops with out walking through people who have no care for others. We went to a national park to walk and look at all the beautiful sites and what do we see scatted all over the ground smoke butts. I feel sorry for all the fish and small animals that accidentally eat the buts when grazing, Then there are the smokers who think its ok to just throw there butts out the window witch can and dose start fires witch can and dose kill wild life. I can keep going on but not going to wast my time as most smokers (not all) don't really give to hoots about the people around them

im to lazy to type and cant spelll but booze wins hands down at stuffing up so many peoples lives in all sorts of ways think about it

Since when has the law stopped people?
I think the drinking age is fine, but the driving age isn't, as kids are new to both things at the same time almost, and mix the two, and it's a bad situation. Plus the younger they are the cooler they think they are with a car and try and inflate their pencil dick by driving like an idiot putting others at risk.

21 is a ridiculous drinking age I believe. My parents let me drink at a younger age, but not to get drunk or anything, only like 1 in a day on a special occasion like xmas, and over the years they slowly increased it, that way I knew my limit, compared to kids that aren't aloud, they sneak off with a bottle of vodka not knowing how much to have, a few hours later they're getting the stomach pumped.

I am not meaning just drink driving, alcohol kills people and ruins lives in many ways... some repeat offenders do deserve to hit a tree driving alone imo too..... but society often creates problems that some people (esp those with young, inexperienced minds) find hard to resist.

Oi! What have trees ever done to you?? LOL

Raising the age limit won't necessarily fix the problem of drink driving problems amongst the young, all it means is that more people will be breaking the law as they claim their right to be of legal age just like the "18 years olds of yesterday".

Better education of the effects of alcohol and perhaps keeping kids out of pubs and hotels till they do turn legal age might help, to create a further barrier to hopefully discourage youngsters. This used to happen in England, and as a youngster growing up then, we never gave a second thought about it.

The fact of the matter is, the younger the body, the less the organs in the body is able to cope with the effects of the stuff.

Its not the age limit they need to consider, but the maturity of the person........ don't know how that can be done, I don't have all the answers, but it's certainly more preferable to whats happening today!!!!!!!!!!

REALLY!!! 40 years without even trying it? or just without getting drunk?

Oh btw, increasing the price won't make a difference! It just ****** off us legal folk haha.
And stops youngins buying pre-mixes and onto the straight bottles of spirits, mixing their own, making them stronger, getting more drunk. I knew it would happen when they increased the tax on "alco-pops"
Probs just to get some more moolah, they don't care about the kiddies :lol:

REALLY!!! 40 years without even trying it? or just without getting drunk?

He lies!

i really don't think we should change the drinking age..won't make any real difference to anyone really. only thing i could see working would be to increase the fines/punishments for underage drinkers. although i wouldn't really want that either TBH. I enjoy a drink with my mayes without getting out of hand.

On driving, 16 is fine, it's one of the oldest driving ages in the world, and most of us are completely responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back