Levis Attacked by Cat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I once had a Spencers monitor escape his cage and help himself to some baby Cunningham skinks I had in a flexarium, it annoyed me to the point that I ended up giving him to a mate. In the area where I live there is a 24hr indoor curfew on cats unless housed in a cat enclosure, but this didnt seem to apply to my next door neighbour's cats. I found one in my Blue tongue pit eating a newborn Blotchy, and on closer inspection i realised it had been watching the female give birth to the babies and then eat them. That day I would estimate I lost about 10-15 young from her. I reported this to my neighbour to which her reply was "They are only stupid little lizards, and the cat is only doing what comes naturally". I then reconstructed the wire top on the enclosure to stop the marauding felines but it made no difference, they just sat on top and stressed the crap out of my Blueys. So I trapped all of her cats and took them to the pound. She abused the hell out of me and said she wished they had eaten all of my lizards, so I constructed a new outdoor enclosure for some new additions but I placed some adult Tiger snakes in there. That day she spied me in the yard and asked me what i was putting in there now so I showed her, and again she went ballistic saying what if one gets out or one of her cats climbs on top of the enclosure? To which I replied i hope they do, needless to say she had an enclosure made for her cats and all is now peachy.

But you would never have considered killing the Spencers monitor would you? Which is my point, that's the same situation I'm in, one pet attacking another pet, no matter what species. The spencers was just doing what came naturally to it, just like my cat. The destruction cats cause to our native wildlife is another issue altogether to this one.

Your neighbour sounds like a bitch, glad you finally got her to put the cats in an enclosure.

Jeannine, so you are a member of a reptile forum but openly admit you think "The only good snake is a dead one",what a hypocritical statement. I would never go on a cat lovers forum and say "The only good cat is the one keeping my stubby cool" I never once said I hated cats or that they all should be killed. I actually have a lot of respect for cats, but only the large variety. When I was younger I was lucky enough to have the chance to feed and play with Lions,Lioness's,a Puma and a Black Leopard that were kept by a friend of the family. These were real CATS, and demanded a lot of respect. I think I have said enough so I will just say Ryan I really hope your little Levis makes a speedy recovery and wish you luck with keeping your little furry friend away from your geckos in future.

Yep i'm aware of it, cleaned the wounds with saline solution and have been applying anti-septic each day to try and kill off any infection.

Nice job mate! So how's the little fella coming along? :)

Cats don't naturally dislodge tank covers sorry but they can, what do you think they also use their claws for? keep their nails trimmed and it should help stop them opening things

r3ptilian you seem to forget cats have been on this planet longer then man, felines have been hunters for thousands of years, its NOT just something new you know, WE humans are responsible for domesticated them as well as dogs, ill be honest with you i agree with those people who say 'the only good snake is a dead one' but i sure as hell dont come into this forum and say it all the time, because i RESPECT THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO LIKE/LOVE SNAKES in here, all i ask is you give me and other cat lovers the same respect and stop talking about killing cats, i really thought people who love animals would NEVER condone being cruel to any animal, guess im wrong and it depends on what animal one is saying others should be cruel too...also you do realise that felines in some countries are still 'wild' dont you and as such still hunt for their food which would include reptiles

i wish the little gecko a very speedy recovery

Contradictory. Why are you on a website dedicated to Aussie PYTHONS and SNAKES with sub forums dedicated to other reptiles then? Surely the jump from lizard to snake isn't that far.

Also, you're not selling anything on ebay so you don't need to write in bold all the time.

I will just say Ryan I really hope your little Levis makes a speedy recovery and wish you luck with keeping your little furry friend away from your geckos in future.

Thanks r3ptilian.

Nice job mate! So how's the little fella coming along? :)

Had pooped in her container this morning, so hopefully that means her insides are still working and was looking a bit happier, no interest in food at this stage though. I will see if shes hungry tonight.

Why must there be a fight in every thread on this forum?
Glad to hear he's doing ok mate.

Why must there be a fight in every thread on this forum?
Glad to hear he's doing ok mate.

Maybe you should start a thread telling people to stop fighting & be nice, i think we are about due for another one LOL.

All jokes aside sounds like you've done everything you can to look after your levis & i'm sure you have learnt from your mistake.

Exact same thing happened to me last week, my cat got into my baby water dragon tank and nearly killed one, i wanted to take her to the reptile park and chuck her in with on of the big burm's for a taste of her own medicine, but i didnt i got over it and reminded myself she is a cat, she is just doing what cats do. I hope ur gecko has pulled thru (im not going to go thru all the cat hate to find out if he or she has) unfortuantly my dragon didnt make it after coming thru a little bit my idiotic partner put his back in his tank to be with the other one to "make him feel better" and he jumped in their swimming pool (little letre tank full of water) and didnt make it back out :(

Just an update on the patient, she's starting to look a lot better, re-washed the wounds tonight and re-applied anti-septic cream. She has even got a bit of her appetite back, munching down on a couple of crickets tonight. So all is going as well as I can hope with her.

However, I have noticed one of the the other two geckos that I thought go away unscathed has gone off his/her (too young to tell on this one) food and is looking a bit lethargic. I have moved him/her into a take-away container again and put a few crickets in, but he/she just doesn't seem to have any interest. I don't think he/shes eaten since Sunday morning. How long until I should start to get a bit worried?

Thanks.

Good to hear it is doing better. Best of luck into the future with it.

The second one's a worry- geckos can go downhill Really quickly...I'd be keeping a real close eye on it.

Maybe the stress of the incident has scared them a little, and with another in the enclosure it maybe a little offish to venture out to feed,...are you able to separate them singularly? Might settle faster. Try not to bother it to much than needed, keep it dark and quiet should help. Glad the first ones picked up for you and eating.

Maybe the stress of the incident has scared them a little, and with another in the enclosure it maybe a little offish to venture out to feed,...are you able to separate them singularly? Might settle faster. Try not to bother it to much than needed, keep it dark and quiet should help. Glad the first ones picked up for you and eating.

Well it has stressed me out enough so I would imagine it has done the same to them. I have already put the non-feeder back into its previous take-away container home to try and make it a bit more comfortable but its been in there since yesterday afternoon with the crickets and just doesn't seem interested. I have put a towel over them so they will get some more darkness tomorrow and hopefully they calms him/her down a bit.

im really hoping all your little ones pull thru with no ongoing problems ryanm, and unfortunately sometimes a bite or a scratch will do more damage then we realise, xxxxxxxxx my fingers and toes crossed for ya

Jeannine, so you are a member of a reptile forum but openly admit you think "The only good snake is a dead one",what a hypocritical statement. no i stated that to prove a point, no i dont like snakes but i would never ever say that to anyone who owns or likes them nor would i advocate anyone abusing them or mistreating them in anyway, i just think everyone needs to respect that other people might own animals others dislike

while we might sometimes 'think' these things we really have to ask ourselves should we say it out loud and possible upset someone and while i might not like snakes i have commented in some threads about how beautiful some snakes look especially the GTP and if i ever got over my dislike for them they are one i would definitely get, i even recently showed a baby GTP to my step daughter, she like me doesnt like snakes but absolutely loved the bright yellow of them and stated if she was ever going to get one it would be one of them too oh and i find myself popping into anything to do with the GTP just to see the gorgeous colors of them

yes i do have eye sight issues even when i wear my glasses so hence my bold posts, especially now with a sty infection in one which is all bruised and swollen and it makes reading even harder, sucks to be over 50 bloody youth is wasted on the young
:lol:

i honestly dont mean to offend anyone at all however i feel as strongly about my cats as some do about their snakes and other reptiles, i have only four cats left now but did have up to six, none were allowed to roam and when we bought this house the first thing we did was enclose half the back verandah for them to roam in, they go in and out thru a window

i respect my neighbours, mother nature and more importantly my cats, i agree irresponsible cat owners give us all a bad name but i would still never condone the abuse and mistreatment of them especially encouraging long slow and painful deaths

hope you all have a great day and successful breedings

Quote Jeannine "ill be honest with you i agree with those people who say 'the only good snake is a dead one' but i sure as hell dont come into this forum and say it all the time" i might be new but this is called Aussie Pythons & Snakes is it not ? to me this just doesnt make sense. then a quote from the above post "while we might sometimes 'think' these things we really have to ask ourselves should we say it out loud and possible upset someone" and "no i stated that to prove a point, no i dont like snakes but i would never ever say that to anyone who owns or likes them nor would i advocate anyone abusing them or mistreating them in anyway" im lost about what your trying to say... this is a snake forum and clearly your doing exactly what your going on about in the same thread .. ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back