Liberated questions about woma and Blackheaded p.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll just borrow someones BHP and woma for a while.........
just to see which is best
lol

so what is the attraction to the snakes that are harder to breed and stuff?
i like my ones cause of their patterning and temperments

Womas don't do much for me...bhps are the go!!!

Womas are far from being rare in the wild but not many being bred in captivity..things are changing....

soulweaver said:
nah, what i ment is do womas have pits on the side of their head?
Up until just recently they thought that they didn't.Now they do so I guess the jury is still out.

Actually from what I have seen/heard about some populations, they are a bit rare.
A friend of mine just spent two weeks in tanami desert, and found 1 dead one on the road.
They are about to be considered a threatened species in the NT.

Sorry, I am not saying they are rare everywhere in the wild, I should have said that in my post eh?

No Luke they dont:p

Yes Ramsayi, but the heat pits arent on the side of the head like Morelia/liasis

Baritji,

Womas are far from rare, specially in the NT. You can look for them all year and not find any. Doesn't mean they are rare. It just means they are hard to find. Go looking when the weather is just right and you can find anywhere up to 6 in one night.

The southwestern population of Womas are all but gone, and the Queensland ones were never that common at the best of times. But the SA, NT, and northern WA are thriving. You just have to know WHEN to look.

thats what i read bhps are a relative to the woma but i could be wrong just what i have read and here in victoria on my leflet i got we can't own womas here in victoria.

spottedpython said:
thats what i read bhps are a relative to the woma but i could be wrong just what i have read and here in victoria on my leflet i got we can't own womas here in victoria.

Same genus, different species

ahhh OK fair enough Bob,
they are considered threatened, because some scientist went out for a few months and didnt see any live ones, from what I hear her was fresh out of uni. So I guess he stuffed it up eh hehe? Bastard, means noone can get collection permits for them :(

Spotted, where did you get that from? I'm 100% sure that you can own them down here, I know many people that do and they are on our list. Unless they have changed since last year and I haven't heard about it (which I doubt very much).

Sim

Baritji,

NSW NPWS placed Diamond Pythons on the threatened list about 20 years ago. They were getting hard to find also. Then the Sydney uni placed a tracking device on a single male and they followed it around a valley at St Ives, north of Sydney. This was an area where Diamonds were thought to have vanished. Within a month or so that Diamond lead the researchers to other Diamonds which were also tracked. Within a short time over 200 were found in an area where they were believed to be extinct.

Of coarce, NPWS took them of the threatend list when they realised they were still common, just hard to find.

Womas are the same. Just as common, just harder to find.

sobien if you look on your a guide to laws relating to keeping wildlife for private purposes in victoria you will read we aren't allowd to keep the rptiles listed in schedule 4 part b- reptiles and the woma is in that part which there for we are not allowd to own.

I disagree Mags :p

I love womas but BHPs are my fav, i like the fact they are harder to breed, something to work for.
Just watch the price of womas come down in the next few years, there alot more people breeding them now, a few years ago you would never see a male woma for under $2000, i've seen several for $1800 this season.
But like any other the snake the really nice ones will still fetch top dollars.
I was speaking to VIC woma breeder at the start of the year and he said he knew of one breeder in vic who hatched out around 40 womas last season.

I was speaking to VIC woma breeder at the start of the year and he said he knew of one breeder in vic who hatched out around 40 womas last season.
he must be a millionare!!!!!!
lol!!

Spotted, I have no idea where this leaflet came from. All I know is it's wrong! I have two copies of the species list's for Victoria which are recent and both state that womas are able to be kept in Victoria. They need an Advanced Licence in Victoria. If you still don't believe me, go ask your "neighbour" or call 9412 4992 (between 9am and 12noon Monday to Friday).
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back