Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zack13

Reaction score
Does anyone know about what has to be done to get an advanced reptile license? I have had my license for over two years now and want to start keeping some things I can't now. I called about it but I couldn't believe the lady when she told me she didn't know and I would have to call at a later date. So what do I do send it in and pay more?

Thanks

I didn't think they took the bit about 'demonstrating that you have experience with the relevant animals' seriously, but it seems like they sometimes do. I understand some people have had an application for a class two licence rejected, tho I could have misunderstood.

So does anyone know what to do? I just send mine in saying I want a class 2?

just need to do a letter saying what you have kept in the last 2 years and what you wish to keep thats advanced class and pay the fee $60 a year

Your supposed to have written references from 2 people who are already on a class 2 saying that you have shown the appropriate knowledge etc etc.
Personally i just wrote a letter explaining my knowledge and why i wanted to upgrade etc as i dont really know anyone on high class licences... I was trying to go from class 1 to class 2 cat 1 and that was rejected as they wanted me to keep a mildly ven for atleast a year and try again.
So it was rejected and they renewed my class 1 licence...this didnt sit well with me and after an email explaining how well it didnt sit, they sent me out a class 2 licence lol now all i need to do is get a mild ven on my books for a year so i can upgrade again...so yes it is possible without references if you word it write and show you know what your talking about.

Ahh that sounds annoying. Not sure I know anyone with a class 2 license. I am however studying zoology and uni and will be majoring and do a Phd in herpetology so maybe they will overlook it. I want some venomous one already and a gtp and rsp already far out never easy is it.

Basic vens eg. red bellys etc are on class 2 cat 1... which u have to be on class 2 and have a mild ven eg. brown tree snake or similar for atleast a year before upgrading..

So if your on class 1 (basic) licence you will only be able to go up to class 2 if succesful and can keep GTP and RSP etc but not vens...

Yeah got the minimum i wanted which was class 2 but would of prefered to step up again to get vens lol.
Bureaucracy at work! lol. Thanks for sharing your experience with the process mate, glad you could turn it around.

This is annoying what if we do a venomous snake handling course?

i was going to try and jump from class 1 to class 2 cat 1, havent keeped vens at home, but handle and look after at work. will see how i go.

I asked that they wont give a yes or no answer....Just the usual well it depends on your application.
But i think theyed still prefer you to have a mild ven on your books for a year as well as the course..
It does suck as not many of the mildly vens interest me and the ones that do are either hard to find or expensive...

i was going to try and jump from class 1 to class 2 cat 1, havent keeped vens at home, but handle and look after at work. will see how i go.

That was what i told them, ive handled vens, removed them from residents etc and they still rejected it lol.

damn, will have to see if that letter from the boss wins them over.

Awesome I tried to just volunteer at Taronga but they said they didn't need any.

Advanced reptile venomous cat 1,2 or 3

1. Need to be 18yrs or over
2.Have at least 1yr experience with handling of reptiles in a lower licence cat.
3. House reptiles in lockable escape proof enclosure in a lockable escape proof room.
4. Have and maintain current first aid certificate.
5. Have and maintain an emergency response plan- outlining how you would deal with escaped snake, snake bite, emergency contacts and first aid.
6. Only allow access to reptiles to persons with appropriate licence.
7. 2 written references from people qualified to at least the level of licence you are applying for outlining your ability to safely handle and husbandry.
8. Demonstrate accurate record keeping- fauna books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back