Light/UV/Heat placement

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange1

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Im just about to set up a 4x2x2 enclosure to keep small dragons in and im wondering about the light types/placements.

So many sources have said different things argh!
I know i'll want a UV light and a heat lamp but is it best to use say a 2ft UV tube or a UV spot bulb on the basking area?
Also i'll need a night time heat source especially over winter so is it worth using a heat cord under half the enclosure and just a UV Spot bulk as the basking lamp? Then id need a 2ft fluro as a viewing light aswell!

Have I confused you yet? Good :)

Also with the temp gradients im assuming you just set a thermostat halfway along the tank and set the temp there?

Anyways if you understood a single word ive said your doing pretty good and probably intelligent enough to answer my question :D

Dont forget if you can offer a pic, they tell a thousand (or so) words!

So thanks in advance!
Adam

Ha I knew it! Not one person intelligent enough to understand my post!

I'd make sure the enclosure has alot of ventilation, and run a 75W or 100W Mercury Vapour Globe during the day. No night time heating unless they're tropical dragons.

They will be Central netted dragons. I will need UV for them aswell and for winter i'll need night heating atleast I assume.

I have 2 6inch x 4inch vents to install aswell

Mercury Vapour globes give off sufficient UV. I'm not sure about night time heating and winter heating for Central Netted Dragons though. Someone else will have to help you out there.

I didn't really follow that.. but I already knew my intelligence level so no suprises there! ;)
I'm wanting to set up a tank for beardies as well... I've started asking around for advice and it can get confusing I agree...
What type of enclosure have you got? Is it a glass tank style?
I'll wait patiently until more experienced people post here *gets comfy*

I am building a melamine enclosure just like in the how to :)

Hi Strange1,
l have got Ridge-Tailed Monitor's that come from Alice Springs NT, and l don't provide any heat to them at night, because in the wild in can get as low as 1 degree at night, what they do is hide
under rocks, in deep crevices where they keep warm at night, from the rocks that heat-up during the day, from the hot sun.
l reckon you should use a NECT10 Blacklight Tube, for UV A and b, and use a Reflector Globe
for basking under to keep warm.
The reason why l say this, is because if you use a Mercury vaper lamp, when the Thermostat turns the light of to control the heat, there will be no UV at all.
ln the wild when the sun is blocked by clouds, there still is UV flowing through the air, where in captivity, the Lizard lock up in a cage as no access to UV, when the thermostat turns
the Mercury vaper Lamp of to control the heat, where in the wild it does when the sun is not showing at all, from UV blowing through the air.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back