Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No probs. I have never had any problems with them not killing the skink. I had a juvi diamond eat a live mouse backwards once, by the time the mouse was at his stomach the mouse had ceased all movement.

No probs. I have never had any problems with them not killing the skink. I had a juvi diamond eat a live mouse backwards once, by the time the mouse was at his stomach the mouse had ceased all movement.
If there was a pleniful supply of parasite free skinks available (euthansed correctly) do you think that would that be the food of choice for a young childreni?

Only as a starter to get them feeding. I think its the quick movement of the live ones that gets the feeding response, thats why I used live AHG the first 2 feeds then used fuzzy mice live as these guys move heaps too.

Only as a starter to get them feeding. I think its the quick movement of the live ones that gets the feeding response, thats why I used live AHG the first 2 feeds then used fuzzy mice live as these guys move heaps too.
Thanks Adam

I don't know where you are situated but i would suggest getting in touch with a nearby herp society.

You can get hold of quails from any quail hatchery. Look them up in the yellow pages. PM me if you want a supplier.

I cant believe people advocating the use of skinks to get young snakes feeding.All you are doing is making a rod for your own back by feeding them their natural food source not to mention loading them up with all sorts of parasites,but then again if you sell them after they start feeding then I guess it wont be your problem anymore. There is no way I would purchase a young animal that had been started off on skinks or geckos.

I beleive it is the last choice, when the snake has lost weight since hatching and still won't eat. I know of the problem with parasite and it is overcome once they have had a few feed by using Flagyl injected into their food. This is much better than having a snake starve to death. I wouldn't sell a snake that had to be started on skinks untill it was eating defroated mice and had been wormed and vet checked.

This might sound stupid but have you thought about things like stress, thermal gradient, light cycles, enclosure size, hide placement, traffic area and handling as a likely cause of not eating? If it's your a newby and it won't eat you need someone to check over your setup first.

I beleive it is the last choice, when the snake has lost weight since hatching and still won't eat. I know of the problem with parasite and it is overcome once they have had a few feed by using Flagyl injected into their food. This is much better than having a snake starve to death. I wouldn't sell a snake that had to be started on skinks untill it was eating defroated mice and had been wormed and vet checked.

I know you keep saying it is a last resort to use lizards, but I've never had to use them in 8 years of breeding macs and childrenii. I've had success on the most difficult hatchies with quail.

I didn't beleive it myself, I had this one hatchy that had to be sustained on force fed rat tails for 10 months. I was told by a friend that a few very top line breeders use this for difficult hatchies. Bang it worked instantly. All I'm saying is it's worth a try before resorting to skinks. They are so easily available cheaper than pinkies.

I can just see it now.Hatching some baby snakes,starting them off on skinks then selling them for $150-$200 after spending say $80-$100 getting them vet checked and wormed etc.Anyone seen the tooth fairy around lately?

I had a juvi diamond eat a live mouse backwards once, by the time the mouse was at his stomach the mouse had ceased all movement.

Just trying to get my head around the idea, If your going to feed live (which i really dont agree with), couldnt you at the VERY least stun the rodent, and ensure the snake has taken its prey correctly, as in not backwards.

If its swallowing the prey backwards and still alive, the rodent can bite the snake during constriction (if constriction took place), not to mention the internal damage that could be inflicted to the snake as it swallows a live rodent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back