Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. anyway i was down at a pet sho[ the other day and they had a 160 watt Oz bright uv and heat light and i asked if this would be ok for a bearded dragon and they said yes but it will use lots of electricity and i wiould nead a really large cage. Just now i noticed there is a 100 watt aswell so i am wondering if these are really anygood because for $80 i dont want it to work for 5 mins then blow i want it to go for atleast 3-4 monts. anyone had one of these and are they any good?

A 100 or 160 watt would fry the poor bugger!!! For a small Bearded Dragon, something like a 60watt is fine; make sure you have a Thermostat equipped!!

You connect the two together (Heat source and thermostat), decide what temperature is needed and turn it on. You can get a few different types (On/Off, Dimming....). There are also Microclimate Ministats etc etc..... available through URS, Herpshop etc.

ypu set the temperature you want then you stich in the probe and when it reaches your desired temperature it turns off the power

i read somewhere recently that if you take your beardy out in the sun for like a bath every week you dont need to have a uv light as it gets enough from the sun is that tru or not?

No, People have already told you that a 2foot is not good enough!!!

No, you need a UV light for them aswell. Although it might work for some people, not all animals are the same.

get the 90cm glass tank from them, a 60W heat lamp , a UVB compact fluro and you will be setup for a pair of lawsoni. Gully will also have some lawsoni hatchies around January.

For an extra $150 or so you could have a 4ft set up.

Save the money or you will end up spending more in the long run buying another larger vivarium when whatever you get outgrows a 2ft.

Would you rather live in a house? Or just your bedroom? Give them room to run.

ok i got the aquarium sorted well i have 2 options for that and both will be alright price i think. now for one more question lol i am looking at light and heating i am unsure of what uva and uvb is but anyway i found this light that is a uv light i will give you the link it says it gives out both the uv's does this mean it will heat or will i need another light? i will add both links to the lights i am looking at.

the Uv globe
http://www.ultimatereptiles.com.au/...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=49

and the basking globe
http://www.ultimatereptiles.com.au/...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

Can you please give me some advice on these they seem to pritty good on price so thanks once again.

Thanks MoreliaMatt just so i know someone said they dont have any heat on an night as it stays in the sand or rock or whatever is this true because my cage will be in my room and i like to sleep so i dont wanna have a red light all night lol.

i suggest you keep heat on 24/7 for til it is about 18 months old

then run heat for 12 - 13 hours a day and off at night once its older

does running it for 123 hours use alot of electricity just had a sort of converstation with my parents lol. and they say it will cost heaps to run but i siad its the same as runninh a normal light for a couple hours then it goes off so am i right or will it cost a fair bit?

they cost nothing to run (well virtually nothing)...

assuming you have 1 enclosure setup with a 75watt heatglobe running 24 hours a day and 7 days a week you will be looking at approximately:

1.125 cents an hour
27 cents a day
$1.89 a week
$7.56 a month

if you dropped that to only on for 12 hours a day instead of 24 hours you can halve that!
so:
13.5 cents a day
$3.78 a month

(this is all based on the fact that usually 1kW of electicity for 1 hour is charged at approx 15cents)

Obrien, there is no need to give it 24/7 heating. You need to mimic natural day length so no Lighting should be used after the day period. If you want to supply extra heating, you can in the way of Mats, Ceramics but its isnt an absolute must.

Is it better to have a light that emmits light or one of them ceramic things i will most probably have the uv next to the heat light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back