Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon she is a bit older than that. I also think that you are being a tad more aggresive than is required.
Let your snake determine where it wants to be. Most BHP's I've met are pretty placid you seem to be
annoying it. Not necessary. Watch her, let her settle, don't be intimidated, chill out and get to understand her body language.
Patience is what you need. Watch and learn.

Best of luck : )

I reckon she is a bit older than that. I also think that you are being a tad more aggresive than is required.
Let your snake determine where it wants to be. Most BHP's I've met are pretty placid you seem to be
annoying it. Not necessary. Watch her, let her settle, don't be intimidated, chill out and get to understand her body language.

Mate with all due respect unless the OP is some sort of sadist (she looks pretty normal to me) she has determined at this moment in time that this is the best approach to take. I think she would be doing everything she could to minimize being bit and this clearly is the technique she has determined works best in achieving this.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I gotta agree with ya on this, it does look like a fairly firm hand grip to hold the shake and probably another reason for the thrashing around, but that is probably due to the OP being intimidated and scared of the snake, but in time she will become more confident with the snake and learn to relax! The snake will know your nervous as soon as you grab it and will react to that as well!

Get over yourself bloke. It's a wild caught juvie BHP. I'm betting you have zero experience with such a thing? Once it's out it seems to calm down. You can't compare it to one that has been in captivity since it hatched. Her grip didn't seem excessively tight at all. She was simply lifting it out of a top opening enclosure. Given its her first week or two of having it, I say good on her for pulling it out with her hands.

Well that little bit of extra info puts a whole new light on things... I was wondering why it was feistier than the BHP I've seen otherwise and thought it must have been the odd one out. Still it probably doesn't help that the enclosure has to be approached from above.

Yeah. I'm guessing she didn't put that info up cause she didn't expect everyone to critique her handling skills... But rather share her enjoyment of getting her first bhp. Have to wonder what she was thinking. This is APS after all, shoot first ask questions later ;)

firstly, no way am i scared of her. If i was scared of her, i wouldn't own her or other snakes (she is my 4th). She can intimidate if i sit there asking her politely to come out of the viv as she gets worked up the longer i hang arround. She is less stressed if i simply go in, and collect her there and then. I am in no way rough and holding her with a tight grip. If it was a tight grip, how come she is sliding through my hands? She is wild caught and i have had her 2 weeks, i dont expect her to be as calm as a stimson python.
If i go by her "body language" then i will never hold her as its clear she wants to be left alone. But how do i "tame" her without holding her?
nar, there is nothing wrong in how i handle her.

Sorry if I offended you, not my intention, and if we knew she was WC then it would have made a lot more sense with her behaviour, now as I'm from vic I don't understand this whole WC idea, can you guy just get a permit to go out and take a specimen from the wild or does there have to be certain reasons for needing a wild won??

No. We can't import pythons so DEC issues a handful of licenses (at $$$$) for takers to collect specimens. With the idea of establishing WA's own captive bred stock from keepers. It's quite self limiting as animals that are easily bred aren't really taken any more. SWCP, stimi's, beardies etc are all mainly captive bred here now. Pilbara BHPs are proving harder to breed, but there has been some success of late with the Kimberly forms, but demand still out strips supply which is keeping prices high. Stimiloves is a Kimberly animal but a WC one. WC animals also have a royalty fee attached to them when they are taken. So it's less incentive to take than breed. As captive bred you don't have to pay DEC anything.

I can't remember if I said so earlier but it definitley is a gorgeous BHP, I fell in love with them when a mate showed me his last year and it is on the top three for my next snake.

Sorry if I offended you, not my intention, and if we knew she was WC then it would have made a lot more sense with her behaviour, now as I'm from vic I don't understand this whole WC idea, can you guy just get a permit to go out and take a specimen from the wild or does there have to be certain reasons for needing a wild won??

no no, didn't offend. Jus thought i get my point accross b4 anything else was said :)
Only lisenced collectors can go out and catch wild animals. I dont know much about it, but not just anyone can grab something and keep it.
Its all done legally and everything goes through the Department of Conservation.

Actually I just went back and checked... I thought I atleast hit like on the original post. Ooops. My manners seem to be slipping.

Top three on the list in no particular order are BHP/Woma/Coastal... the coastal will only be if my fiend successfully breeds a special one like the one his daughter had that died. I can never remember the terms, it was almost albino, as in it was missing black pigment in its whole pattern. Very pretty but they lost it after a prolonged battle when it got RI and had to be force fed for several months. They have a regular looking sibling from the same clutch and are hoping the variation will breed through in its offspring.

no no, didn't offend. Jus thought i get my point accross b4 anything else was said :)
Only lisenced collectors can go out and catch wild animals. I dont know much about it, but not just anyone can grab something and keep it.
Its all done legally and everything goes through the Department of Conservation.

cool, so is there requirements for someone to take them from the wild? like they cant just go out and take 50 snakes from the wild then sell them the next week then go get another 50 and sell them or is that the idea of it to get the snakes out in the public?

It's a lot more involved than that. Lots or rules where they can be taken from and such. Exact GPS co-ordinates given etc. Time spent looking for animals, cost of takers license, royalties on animals and the small population of reptile keepers in wa doesn't exactly result in that many being taken. Certainly no where near the numbers we see killed on roads each year. Not to mention the massive urban spraw in perth and land clearing. Your never going to go out and find 50 Bhps in a day that's for sure. The idea of taking from the wild was to establish captive colonies for the pet trade.
Its not unheard of for eastern staters to come over to wa on poaching expeditions. Some have been caught even ;) The habitat distruction from poachers is a concern IMO.
I think takers also have to be able to display a degree of knowledge when they apply for their takers licenses. Obviously being able to ID the animals allowed to be taken from those that aren't is a start. They just don't give the license out to anyone as far as I know. There are 5 categories of licenses here too. Not all takers licenses cover all categories.
What we have that is unique in WA is a lot of local specific animals. Because we know where they were caught or where the parents where caught. Our wheat belt stimi's are actually wheatbelts. Most of the eastern states wheatbelts are from confiscated stock and their true origin is unknown. I have a pair of wild caught Greenough SWCP. Ill always keep them together as a local specific pair. And refer to their offspring as local specific as well. My Bhps are from kunnanara and derby. If I pair them the offspring will simply be Bhps. As they will lose thier locality. Still Kimberly Bhps though but miles apart in the Kimberly!

cool thanks for the info, sorry stimilove for hijacking....but it is fasinating you are allowed with the right licence to take wild animals

Obviously all eastern state stock is from the wild originally anyway. Some of it probably not that long ago. Tassie are allowed to take their own I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back