Man(AKA Poobum) shoots women whilst hunting a snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think laws should be changed to having no weapons at all.
Why can't people just hunt the old school way like using knives etc. =]

Not sure what 'weapons' you are referring to, as you then say we should hunt using knives???????

Anyway, in the context of this thread I assume you are referring to 'weapons' meaning guns and in answer to your question, changing the law as you would have it would only mean that all the law abiding citizens would be without guns. I don'ty think you would see too many crims handing theirs over if that was the case.

It doesn't work.

I should have tried that on my first wife ... Did I really say that?? No, must have been thinking aloud :)

I can't for the life of me figure out how you would fatally shoot your wife whilst trying to shoot a snake. Was the woman lying on the ground or was the snake performing a round house to the side of the woman's head at the time.

Sounds VERY suspicous to me, but I'm only a fly on the wall.

maybe he tried to aim on his snake when she was under him on the shed floor.
Gee..... I hope that she was his women.

I hope that I don't get infraction from Hix. i do keep my snakes in shed. don't read all this in wrong way.:oops::oops:

the old saying 'if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns' is true.

Here are some real statitics to put things into perspective
from 1987-1996 the total number of incidents against a person (murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, assault, sexual assult, kidnapping/abduction and robbery) for australia was 145,433 and out of those only 1.7% involved a firearm.

I can't find the details but something like over 90% of those incidents involving firearms are using illegally obtained wepons by unlicenced persons.

mate in a nutshell that is the law. It is illegal to kill any native animal unless under a permit and if convicted there are huge fines and even gaol time.

Be sort of good if this was true but it isnt...well it is, but not quite. Regarding native snakes, if you have the fear that the snake is putting you or your family in danger you can legally kill it. Also in some circumstances if your Aboriginal, you can kill native wildlife for cultural reasons. Also dont forget about the native fish...lots of native animals their being killed each day. Also insects....but now some would class this as being just silly.....:rolleyes:...unless you favour native spiders or scorpions etc....
So in short, its ok to kill most native wildlife, but not the cute ones.

lol Slatey

What would he say to his kids :( I killed your Mother :(

Family member Mervyn Sleba told The Courier-Mail yesterday that relatives were trying to comfort Mr Sleba and the couple's four young children.

"It's a tough time for the family – we've never been in this situation before," he said.

"At the moment everyone's just a bit shell-shocked."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23597208-952,00.html

OMG - I can not believe someone would say that... this has to be a joke... HAS TO BE!!!

These guys are people I know. Its not a joke... not even remotely funny. Merv (Her father-in-law) was in shock.. The whole town is very close knit and when a neighbour or friend has something happen, it effects everyone there. That's what he's talking about. They've never been in the same situation of course but they're amongst a farming community also where there are accidents that occur.
The snake was in the garage which has a door that leads to their lounge room. They were trying to flush it out first before he was to shoot it. (yes he has a licence) with all the stress of making sure it didn't go into the house, he saw it on his foot and jumped. This is when the gun has gone off. This is just an awefull accident. Guys, I know that you like to joke around, but honestly... it's not funny.

These guys are people I know. Its not a joke... not even remotely funny. Merv (Her father-in-law) was in shock.. The whole town is very close knit and when a neighbour or friend has something happen, it effects everyone there. That's what he's talking about. They've never been in the same situation of course but they're amongst a farming community also where there are accidents that occur.
The snake was in the garage which has a door that leads to their lounge room. They were trying to flush it out first before he was to shoot it. (yes he has a licence) with all the stress of making sure it didn't go into the house, he saw it on his foot and jumped. This is when the gun has gone off. This is just an awefull accident. Guys, I know that you like to joke around, but honestly... it's not funny.

Isnt it amazing how the papers leave the most important parts out which then leads people to make up their own minds on what actually happened. (dont worry im not saying i have never jumped the gun myself). I have refused to comment in this thread because for some reason i knew someone would have to know these people.

The good thing about a small town like that is that everyone helps out each other in a time of need

Isnt it amazing how the papers leave the most important parts out which then leads people to make up their own minds on what actually happened. (dont worry im not saying i have never jumped the gun myself). I have refused to comment in this thread because for some reason i knew someone would have to know these people.

The good thing about a small town like that is that everyone helps out each other in a time of need

Thanks snakes4me... I was honestly starting to wonder a little about humanity. You've restored it a little for me. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but researching the facts are a better way to go about it. You're so right about the small town thing. Some people will never understand how close a town can be.

Thanks snakes4me... I was honestly starting to wonder a little about humanity. You've restored it a little for me. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but researching the facts are a better way to go about it. You're so right about the small town thing. Some people will never understand how close a town can be.

No worries, I lived in a town where there was about 1500 people and we had a few things happen there, farming accidents, house fires etc and its really good to see how much people can do when they have to. I was in the SES and the support we had was great because most of the people had been helped out before in some way or another by us.

They were trying to flush it out first before he was to shoot it. with all the stress of making sure it didn't go into the house, he saw it on his foot and jumped. This is just an awefull accident.
Something was going to die. It turned out to be the women.
Situations like you described, where the guy was stressing and obviously not comfortable around snakes, he should definetly not be handling an instrument that can kill people. Whilst I feel for the family and the women, the guy should not have had an instument that can kill people in his hand...period.
I think if he had let the snake live and go along its way, or even call a snake relocator, they would all be alive and well today.

Man stressing out with a gun in his hand = AKA Very Dangerous Poobum.

I would shoot anything if I had to, to protect my kids. You don't know what happened, thats quite obvious. Yes, we live in a country with snakes (very clever of you to point that out..) but we also live with wild pigs, kangaroo, rabbits too. These are 'hunted' sometimes for sport, food and even for general population control. Geoff was honestly doing what he thought right at the time. Its almost impossible to get a snake relocator out to kingsthorpe and had spend the whole day trying to get into there house. I'm not defending guns actually. I'm saying that the charming people that are posting jokes about him killing his wife on purpose and that he's a redneck need to realise that these are lovely people that this happened to.

Shooting snakes probably isnt sensible to us but most people i know would do anything to protect their family. We all get our backs up when a snake is killed but im affraid that family is more important than anything IMO and you do what you think you have to do to protect them.

Killing snakes is one thing.. but shooting them???

Come on.....

Education is all I can say.

I don't really see any point in shooting a snake... and as Earthling so delicately pointed out - a nervous person with a gun is an accident (not waiting to happen).

I would shoot anything if I had to, to protect my kids. You don't know what happened, thats quite obvious. Yes, we live in a country with snakes (very clever of you to point that out..) but we also live with wild pigs, kangaroo, rabbits too. These are 'hunted' sometimes for sport, food and even for general population control. Geoff was honestly doing what he thought right at the time. Its almost impossible to get a snake relocator out to kingsthorpe and had spend the whole day trying to get into there house. I'm not defending guns actually. I'm saying that the charming people that are posting jokes about him killing his wife on purpose and that he's a redneck need to realise that these are lovely people that this happened to.

Well put, and I agree, joking about this sort of thing is just wrong.

Hey, most probably do feel sorry for the family - some would probably think different.

Generally speaking wild rabbits don't attack families.. nor do roos... and on the odd occassion in the wrong place at the wrong time pigs can do some damage to humans...

Snakes... well, they control rabbits, probably roos, and pigs to some extent as well (I'd guess)... And yet with 3 - 6 fatalities per year related to snake attack with something like 90% due to interfering with the snake - leads me to think that regardless of the situation... you just wanna put the gun down!

The snake would most likely leave on its own accord. There would be no reason to shoot it - would there?

So - if you're still happy at pointing out my obvious statements then keep going. I somehow can't see many people changing their mind that this accident, and by that very definition of the word, should have been avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back