Man(AKA Poobum) shoots women whilst hunting a snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Killing snakes is one thing.. but shooting them???

Come on.....

Education is all I can say.

I don't really see any point in shooting a snake... and as Earthling so delicately pointed out - a nervous person with a gun is an accident (not waiting to happen).

I agree that shooting the snake probably wasnt the best move (which im sure the guy realises now too) but as i said you do what you think is right to protect your family. My opinion is that he figured if he shot it he wouldnt have to get close to it and risk getting bitten himself, unfortunately someone else paid the price for that choice and now he has to live with that, I do feel very sorry for the guy and I hope he gets all the help he needs to get through the tough time he has ahead of him.

So if I hear you right.. you think attempting to shoot a snake because we live in a country with rabbits, roos and pigs is well put?

That's interesting :)

I meant:

Geoff was honestly doing what he thought right at the time. Its almost impossible to get a snake relocator out to kingsthorpe and had spend the whole day trying to get into there house. I'm not defending guns actually. I'm saying that the charming people that are posting jokes about him killing his wife on purpose and that he's a redneck need to realise that these are lovely people that this happened to.

That was well put.

And I agree with it.

Some would say this is an awfull accident. I would say it was a majorly bad judgement call by the 37-year-old man. If someone is not comfortable around snakes and we put them, a gun and a snake in a confined area...then add you in the room to add a bit of personalisation....its not too hard to figure out the possibilities of what may and can happen. For 33-year-old Leanne the possibilities unfortunately became too real.

Unfortunately people who do stupid things like this are usually not charged with manslaughter or any other crime.....if only they were perhaps people would learn to think before they act.

I feel for theese people its a tragic accident. Its the old style of thinking that we need to try to change(the only good snake is a dead one) Its accidents like this that show why snakes should be left too their own or someone called to help. I know of a few people in the area that could have helped relocate.

If someone is not comfortable around snakes and is stressing out and we find them with a gun, a loved one and a snake in a confined area....most people would call him an idiot (AKA PooBum) to be putting someone at risk of death.

However, when that person does the same thing and they kill somebody by 'accident' some people feel sorry for him?

"Oh, but he didnt mean to kill her!" I hear you say.
My response is "Neither did the guy with an alcohol level of 0.05 who 'accidently' ran into and killed a women one night."

Both guys made very bad judgement calls. Both had instuments of death in their hands. Both were not able to control themselves in the situation they were in. Both had no intention of killing a person. Both killed a person because of THEIR actions.

Manslaughter for one, pity for the other.

Why?

See DragonKeeper - wouldn't you say that what Earthling just said was "well put" and you'd agree with it... If you don't say it I certainly will!

I had 2 posts in this thread and have been secretly deleted for no apparent reason or explanation (extremely bizzare). I have been using the internet since 1992 and this is by far the most peculiar forum i have ever used. The most heavy handed moderators i have ever seen make this site unusable bye me.

ps hopefull someone read this before some fuzzy lipped moderator with a German accent deletes.

i agree with earthling he was very scared of snakes that part was obvious so on top of that he is holding a killing machine with nerves of jelly and then the senario he shoots his wife in the back because he jumped when the snake so called went over his feet i was and still am claiming its a redneck attitude i am not saying he didnt love his wife or value her self being but what a stupid act and now he is paying for it and so are his kids and family/friends.you say Kitty you cant get anyone in that area to get snakes well in that case you call the cops and they deal with it by either comming out or getting someone that can help you out in that situation,I have had police ring me because of a similar situation there is always a better option then grabbing the 22 .................i do feel sorry for his ignorance but i feel even worse for their kiddies....

I had a chat to the police the other day explaining what Id written 4 posts up. They said the difference is the mans intention. The shooter was trying to protect his family, so its 'ok' (in the eyes of the law) that he kills one in doing so.
In the drunk driver scenario, he was committing an offence to begin with (drink driving), so he gets both barrels from the law.
I feel though that what is missing in the husband shoots wife scenario is knowledge and common sense. Knowledge in that there are snake relocators who are willing to move the snake on at no danger to them; common sense in that a man who is not comfortable with snakes, is waving a gun around near other people. Which I would think make a reasonable case of lack of due care.
Love to know what a lawyer thinks.

Unfortunately Earthling, it is impossible to teach 'common sense'.

For example, I made my chemistry class work out the formula for some copper sulfate. Which they did wonderfully... But did any of them think to look at the label to confirm?

Nope... And at the end I told them that. They looked at me strangely and said "Why didn't you tell us that..."

And I mentioned it has to be common sense.

They had all the knowledge to do the actions - but no common sense to back it up.

Not sure if that even relates... But it comes back to the original... You can't teach common sense :(

Good point Slim. But you can teach common sense...but our schools dont. School, Uni, they just teach you to regurgitate information, not think about a real life problem and come up with an answer thats right for you, or right for the world, to be able to critically think things through. Its sooo possible to teach, but who in the right minds in power would want a society that can actually think! Auto pilot gets less hassles for the goverment and friendlier baaa lambs.

This guy is having a go.
http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2007/04/science_teach_f.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back