MESSY EATER

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ella

Reaction score
My python just had a very messy meal. Bits of mouse went everywhere! Should I clean him up? I cleaned his 'room' but don't know if I should let him clean himself or what... :?

Spanx

I know Id clean my snake up if it spat everywhere :D If u know what i mean :wink:

a quick swim in a luke warm bath usually does the trick ella

hehe my baby splattered mouse guts everywhere the other day as well, being it the 2nd time i'd only ever fed a snake when I came back and saw it all over her i thought she'd bloody exploded :p I tried wiping the guts off with the 2nd mouse I was feeding her, thought i got it all but couple of days later found crusty bits on her...just got some water on my finger and rubbed it over her to get it off...Messy girl :)

never ahd a problem with messy mice exploding are you guys defrosting your rats/mice too quickly and in boiling water?

I had my Brown Tree Snake literally chew on a mouse so much he tore it in half. He's a very aggressive feeder, smashes it into walls, waves it around...it's crazy.

smoetimes the problem isnt doing it too quickly soulweaver, its actually leaving it in the water too long.... thats when it can get messy...

But othertimes it is just an agressive feeder that breaks its food like sxereturn said

Yeah that was my problem...I was too worried about under "cooking" them that I ended up leaving them too long and ended up with mousey guts splattered everywhere...I was also told that the water I was using was too hot, I basically just filled a jug with hot tap water and chucked the mouse straight in so yeah...Have to try to do some adjusting tomorrow.

what i do is put the mouse in a plastic bag then let it sit in a cup of hot water.. the mouse still defrosts but it doesnt get wet so its much harder for the guts to come flyin

I feed all my animals food straight out of the water...especially some that aren't keen to drink.

FOOD

i dont put the mice or rats in water to defrost them i just leave them out to defrost is there any reason for putting them in the water?

herpnadel,
the water defrosts the mouse or rat quickly and also puts heat into the food object, this more closely simulates natulal body temp and often makes the food more attractive to the animal.

Some also believe that pre warmed food i.e. warm water defrost, can aid in the digestion of the food object..

Also the water lubricates the food helping your snake get it down, and as sxereturn said it can boost the water intake for those animals that are reluctant to drink

bkgone said:
I know Id clean my snake up if it spat everywhere :D If u know what i mean :wink:

IF?
So your snake aint a spitter?
It will one day son it will one day :p

A quick trip around the microwave for two 5 second bursts gets the internal temp of the mouse up without making the outside hot.

depending on the wattage of course..... dont try two 5 sec bursts if you have a microwave over 850w otherwise you will have One microseccond burst that wont be at all pleasent... that stuff gets in the cracks and it stinks

we have them in a container and so far have had none explode out of about 500. Our microwave is 1000 watts. Can see your point though with overzealous microwavers

:-0 just a point to look out for thats all womas... better to err on the side of caution :)

spilota_1 said:
bkgone said:

IF?
So your snake aint a spitter?
It will one day son it will one day :p

dont u clean yours?Dirty dirty little bastard. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back