Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grrrrrr!!! Afro. I just don't feel like doing the filtering out bit. LOl! Feeling too stuffed, have to go and have a stress test on my heart on the 22nd. Yawn! Nite I'm gone to bed. I get 10 hrs sleep per night and still buggad.

Ive got a bunch of pregnant females at the moment. but the three that have had them (all today when i was at work) have gobbled them up.. i came home to a half eaten mess.. i had 2 females in each container, water, plenty of food..

Damn Cannibals!

I hate that too...happened 2 weeks or so ago when i really needed some...a normal mouse had about a dozen and after work there were 4 and half...i wanted to kill those pinkies myself dammit!

I hear of this happening quite a bit but apart from the occasional one or two it has never happened to me. I wonder if there is some unknown trigger to make it occur ?

wish i knew..

I just found another one of mine then giving birth and the other female already had one in her mouth!

THATS IT IM SEPERATING THEM ALL!

There's a clue, it's not the mother eating them, it's the other females. How many females to a male? maybe you should reduce the male/ female ratio?

i keep 1 male 2 female then when therer about due take the male out so there is just the two female. tonight i had 1 female eating her own, and then later on another female eating the others..

The female i have that ate them was all alone and well fed and watered and woodchipped and shredded papered....when the weather warms up she will be diamond bait

What are you feeding the mice?Preg females need more protein and if they are craving it and give birth bingo instant protein.May be number of other things as well.Pugsly there is no need to take the male out if they are his young, they mate straight after giving birth, if you miss that you may have to wait another 3 weeks till she is preggers again

what sort of pellets,not much protein there, mostly carbs

gee pilbara..i hope it isn't quite as furry..the bumps are okay i guess....umm..pike, the pellets are cheap crap from a pet shop...which do you recommend?

Rather than running the rats 1.1, what I used to do was run about 6 females per male, but remove the females to their own breeding box when they were heavily preggas. You get about the same number of litters per box and per adult rat being fed, but your females are only birthing every 6 weeks instead of avery 3.
Basically at any given time you have 1.3 in the breeding tub and 3 females with babies in the birthing tubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back