Milne Bay and surrounding Island Trip *Big Thread*

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niall

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
As a few of you know I and 4 other people went on the Papu New Guinea Herping trip that Des organised.

It turned out to be a bloody good holiday/expericence and I would recommend it to anyonewho has a interest in birds, snakes, lizards, frogs and inverts.
The first couple of days we stayed on the main land and just had a wonder around the surrounding areas to see what we can find.

Rhana genus.

PNG2020.jpg

PNG2051.jpg

PNG2052.jpg

PNG2058.jpg

PNG2064.jpg

Latoria genus.

PNG2061.jpg

PNG2062.jpg

PNG2074.jpg

Hylaphorbus genus.

PNG2071.jpg

Carlia Genus.

PNG2012.jpg

PNG2041.jpg

PNG2106.jpg

PNG2137.jpg

Emoria genus.

PNG2032.jpg

PNG2039.jpg

PNG2046.jpg

PNG2116.jpg

PNG2158.jpg

Eameled Skink.

PNG2161.jpg

PNG2168.jpg

Sepraskinkus genus.

PNG2119.jpg

PNG2118.jpg

Nacktus genus.

PNG2068.jpg

PNG2084.jpg

PNG2093.jpg

Small Eyed Snake.

PNG2079.jpg

The First Island we went to was Normanby Island.

Latoria genus.

PNG2196.jpg

Rhana genus.

PNG2207.jpg

PNG2337.jpg

PNG2339.jpg

Carlia genus.

PNG2335.jpg

Brown Tree Snake. Not as colourful as the NT and WA type but were still great fun to photograph.

PNG2217.jpg

PNG2241.jpg

Green Tree Snake. This would have to be the best snake to photograph because it showed white stripes along its body when it got angry and was tasting the air none stop.

PNG2247.jpg

PNG2273.jpg

PNG2279.jpg

Slaty Grey. This has to be one of the best looking slaty-greys I have ever seen!

PNG2300.jpg

PNG2304.jpg

Striped Crowned Snake. This fella was found alongside the creek just on the edge of the village and looks like it had a feed a few days before.

PNG2312.jpg

PNG2315.jpg

New Guinea Ground Boas. We saw a good number of these boas and I think we all copped 1 or 2 bites from them.

PNG2320.jpg

PNG2319.jpg

PNG2328.jpg

Salt water Croc. It was only a baby and was the first time the villagers have seen one that far up the river.

[ IMG]http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac196/Viper_Niall/PNG2347.jpg[/IMG]
PNG2344.jpg

Second Island we went to was Fergusson Island.

Latoria.

PNG1003.jpg

PNG1007.jpg

PNG1016.jpg

PNG1054.jpg

PNG1093.jpg

Rhana.

PNG1009.jpg

PNG1072.jpg

Hylaphorbus Genus.

PNG1077.jpg

PNG1078.jpg

PNG1097.jpg

Nacktus Genus.

PNG1086.jpg

PNG1088.jpg

Carlia Genus.

PNG1091.jpg

Pacific Ground Boas.

PNG1011.jpg

PNG1012.jpg

PNG1021.jpg

PNG1032.jpg

We didn’t end up going to Goodenough Island as none of us were wanting to be on the banana boats for four hours on the way back to the main land if the seas were going to be rough.

We headed back to East Cape and stayed at Napatana lodge for a couple for days, relaxing and recovering.

Next we headed out to a village on the main land to stay there for a night, I forgot the name of the place but it was a really nice place and the people who owned it were really nice.

Rhana Genus.

PNG1104.jpg

Many-scaled Keel back.

PNG1135.jpg

Hylaphorbus Genus.

PNG1178.jpg

Rhana Genus.

PNG1194.jpg

PNG1193.jpg

I am going to call this Boa and Ground Boa, even though we found it in a tree because it did not have the colour/Patten that Tree Boas have.

PNG1195.jpg

PNG1196.jpg

On the last day, we had a quick look in a Cave where Des went last time and found a good number of different bats.
We ended up seeing a White Lip Water Python, Brown Tree Snakes and loads of good looking tarantulas.

Tarantula.
PNG1213.jpg

PNG1215.jpg

PNG1222.jpg

Brown Tree Snake.

PNG1221.jpg

Rhana Genus.

PNG1224.jpg

This big guy, none of us know what he is or Genus he is in, we found him and 2 others under a pile of coconuts.
When we where in Port Moresby we went to the museum and ask to see the Reptile Person to see if they could identify what he was, but from the face he had when we showed him the picture we do not think he has seen one before and he did not know what it was.

PNG1162.jpg

PNG1162.jpg

These are just other Reptiles I could not find a Genus for, if you know what they would go under let us know.

PNG1127.jpg

PNG1091.jpg

PNG1089.jpg

*I tryed my best to get the animals in the right Genus, I do know there is a few that do not fit in a Genus but it was the closest I could find for them*

I would like to Thank Glen, Arthur, Ross and Des for making this trip a trip to remember and a Big Thanks to Des for organising this trip!
Enjoy.

It does look a hell of alot different then the Slaty Greys we get here in Aus.
When I first saw it, I didn't know what it was until Des, who has seen them in PNG before said it was a slaty, I think we all got a shock.

hell yeah, i would too. i would have no clue what it was. so is that pretty indicative of what they look like over there?
great shots by the way and good work. it sounds like you guys had a ball over there playing with the boas.

Yea most of them all look like that or a bit darker, but not as dark as the Aussie ones.
Thanks, it was great! I think all of us got 2 or 3 bites each from the boas and couple of other snakes whiles trying to photograph them.

i would have to say my fav's are that slatey grey and the emerald skink but even better then those two are the pacific and ground boa's makes you wish that PNG was aussie territory >: )

I don’t think they have little to any antivene for the snakes that are found around PNG.

Most snake bites where from inside the oil palm plantations where Tiapans, Brown snakes and death adders are most common so most snake bite victims are too far away for medical treatment.
Unfortunately we didn't get to see any of them 3 snakes, I blame the 2days of flooding Rain we got that flooded all the Plantations up to 1.5m deep.

The Slaty and the GTS would have to be my fav of all snakes well including the Ground Boas.

makes you wish that PNG was aussie territory >: )
Totally agree with you on that one Kenshin haha

Great pics, love the fat unknown skink. Did you get any pics of the white lipped python?

Nah I didn't

We found it along the wall and I was getting my Camera ready until it found a small whole where she went into, tried to get her out but there was no chance.

Looks like I might be going back next year at the same time, but hopfully driving through the middle of PNG right up to the North Coast and all that area has not had much wildlife studies done so hopfully I find something better then the Elephant Nosed Frog. Haha

The un-identifiable skink was a good size aswell
PNG1084.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff, Niall. You found lots of interesting animals and your pics are excellent.

There are a handful of New Guinea photos here: Lizards of Papua New Guinea

I think that the following skink is in genus Eugongylus:
PNG2119.jpg

Regards,
David

I was about to say the same thing David! Great post. I was in New Britain earlier this year and mainland PNG late last year. I found it difficult to get out to herp properly. I'd have loved to see one of those unidentified skinks.

Maybe this might be some help with your IDs.

Papuan Herpetofauna Taxa

Cheers for that David.
I have just been told that the big unidentified skink is Sphenomorphus muelleri thanks to Scott eipper.

New Britain looks like a great place to explore!

David,

The Genus Sphenomorphus is a mess....I suspect when someone gets around to it there will a number of new genera/ressurected genera come out of it.

Niall,

Frogs of New Guinea and the Solomon Islands is fairly comprehensive by Robert Menzies..it has keys that are apparently quite accurate....I would suggest trying to get hold of a copy.

The second Nactus is a Gehyra.

The Small Eyed Snake...is one of the Stegonotus genus

The Striped Crowned Snake is one of Tropidonophis, not Aspidomorphus

David and Henry are right about the Eugongylus

The first frog on the back of the mainland is labelled as a Rana....it is a Lechriodus sp

The first about last sets of Boa's look like Candoia carinata paulsoni (the short tailed form of carinata)

Cheers,
Scott

Hi Niall,

As Scott eluded to, your Slaty Grey and Small Eyed are mixed up - the pretty one is the Small Eyed.

Dan

absolutley beautiful pics mate :), i love the tarantulas and that emerald skink sooo much :D

Dan,

The Slatey is labelled correctly...the whitish colour form in known from PNG....

The "small eyed" i think might be S. diehli

Cheers,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for that. Very confusing. I have spent a little time in New Guinea and the snake looks a lot like the 'Small Eyed's' I've seen.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back