Milne Bay and surrounding Island Trip *Big Thread*

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for the corrections everyone.

For some reason I can not edit the first post to change the names.

Great pics bud. I find it interesting and slightly disapointing that we can share so many different genus' of snakes with PNG but not the boas. Thanks for the pics again.

Great pics bud. I find it interesting and slightly disapointing that we can share so many different genus' of snakes with PNG but not the boas. Thanks for the pics again.

Yeah thats true,
I noticed so many animals and plants over there that are also native to the FNQLD area.
There is so many places to still explore in FNQLD and other parts of AUS, you never know what will be discovered next.

The green one with the awesome sheen we call Gonocelphus or something very close to that
[Im a dunce with scientific names]
really strong musk and they puff their chins/throats up when angry
Gorgeous snakes but very active so you need a huge viv
Wicked set of teeth

The green one with the awesome sheen we call Gonocelphus or something very close to that
[Im a dunce with scientific names]
really strong musk and they puff their chins/throats up when angry
Gorgeous snakes but very active so you need a huge viv
Wicked set of teeth

Are you talking about the Green Tree Snake?
If so i know what you mean about being active, we noticed it in a tree on the side of a river and when trying to grab it from the tree, it leaped off the tree and with in a few seconds it was already in the middle of a river, thank god the river wasn't high and one of the boy ran and tailed it.

Yes the one you called green tree snake
I have a couple of friends who keep them so I will contact them and get the scientific name if you want
They also come in like a charcoal grey and are simply stunning but not easy to tame so I never bothered getting any
Way they puff up is AWESOME and every movement brings out different colours

Great pics mate thanks for sharing your trip.

That would be great if you could get the scientific name for me, if I can remember correctly there is ment to be over 6 different sub species in PNG and Islands.

Here it is called Gadung Luwuk or
Species : Gonyosoma oxycephala Boie,1827
N.I. : Red-tailed Racer, Dak Awu, Gadung Luwuk/Gadung Perak.
or
red tailed green rat snake
or mangrove snake
grey gudang luwuk.jpgmangrove snake red tailed rat snake.jpg
These are two of the huge number of colour variables
I am 99% sure yours will fit into this genus somewhere

cheers for that mate, does look alot like the 2nd photo, just not as green.
Have to admit they are a good looking snake when you piss them off.

I would be tempted to keep slatey's if they looked like that here.. Excellant photos Niall I enjoyed your thread.

Hi Longqi,

It seems like I am forever disagreeing with you :) Your snake is from Sundaland. It does not cross Wallace's line and is not found in New Guinea.

Niall,

You were correct the first time with D.punctulata.

Hi Longqi,

It seems like I am forever disagreeing with you :) Your snake is from Sundaland. It does not cross Wallace's line and is not found in New Guinea.

Niall,

You were correct the first time with D.punctulata.

Thanks Dan
Looks just like the ones my friend has but he sent me that scientific name
I am lousy with names
Good to have a scientific answer from someone who knows his stuff
I will have to ask him where he got them from as he lives in Manado which is just outside the Wallace Line??

I truly dont mind being corrected
Its the only way to learn more

Niall's tree snake is a Dendrelaphis...not one of the Asiatic Rats

Cheers,
Scott

wow niall these pica are some of the awesomest pics i have seen on this forum look like you did well on the herping found some amazing reoptiles especially that skink it was quite big too when i looked down didnt think it would be that big but wow awesome

Cheers mate!

Im heading up to the Kimberley in September, so be on the lookout for a Kimberley thread.

Niall, the Rhana and Latoria are actually Rana and Litoria.
Sorry if it makes me seem mean-ish but it just got to me that you spelled them wrong. Again, sorry.

Amazing photos by the way. Loved the green skink and the previously unidentified one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back