Milne Bay and surrounding Island Trip *Big Thread*

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi snakeluvver3

All good mate, it took me near 2 hours to make the thread so at the end of it I was spelling everything wrong and never bothered fixing the names and spelling up.

Niall, this is one of the best (if not the best) fieldherpin thread i've seen so far, so many photos and so many awesome species. :D
New Guinea has heaps of interesting species and so many that are undescribed and undiscovered, its always exciting to see what they discover next there. Would absolutely love to do a trip there sometime. That wierd looking Sphenomorphus muelleri is exceptionally interesting. Currently there's around 300 species of frogs described there so far, herpetologists working there predict that this number may double and reach 600 eventually.

Had a go at trying to identify a few species i haven't seen been identified yet:
2, 5, 29 & 50 are Platymantis papuensis
10, 11, 13, 17 & 31 are Carlia eothen
14 & 18 are Emoia longicauda
15 is Emoia pallidiceps
16 is Emoia jakarti
27, 46 & 49 are Litoria thesaurensis
39 & 40 are Tropidonophis aenigmaticus
47 is Litoria bibonius
73 is Hylarana arfaki but this is a species complex
The last 3 which you couldn't allocate a genus to are Cophixalus (the frog) and Sphenomorphus (the skinks)
6, 7 & 8 are an undescribed species related to and currently lumped with Litoria genimaculata
The Hylophorbus species are probably all the same species, currently assigned to H. rufescens, but rufescens contains a number of undescribed species.
The Nactus species could all be the same or different species, a revision of this genus in New Guinea is forthcoming.
As well as the website Papuan Herpetofauna, another website to look at is the Official Website of Mark O'Shea which has photos of herps he's found in Papua on he's expeditions.

completely off topic but Milne Bay was the first place the Japanese were defeated in a land battle in WW2. Our boys of course.

They would have done some involuntary herping I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back