Monty got bark stuck in his throat.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a little scary, I was gonna use orchid bark for the substrate in the new enclosure, now having second thoughts, I did know this could happen, but was thinking it's something that would not happen very often, I hope Monty recovers fully to his not so sociable self :)

Great to hear your snake is ok!!

I use ozpet litter, its compressed saw dust pellets, that turn back into sawdust when they get wet.
brilliant for odour control, easy to clean up, and probably safer to feed on than bark since it disintergrates when wet.
Its brown, it looks pretty nice.

88887fcd-f68f-4797-9c48-4dd0f05a8aae.jpg

Brunnings EasyWetta Coir Peat Brick
I have used the above with no issues. Does not contain fertilizer (at least as far as I know and I've never had a problem with it as I said in an earlier post).

The below is one to be wary about as it does contain fertilizer.
Brunnings Coir Peat Brick Plus Slow Release Fertilizer
c568f821-4930-4a9a-8084-fc3b15f17e39.jpg

Pretty easy to tell the difference.

Really?

Don't be so easily convinced. I have personally seen 2 identically branded/coloured/named Brunnings products in different pack sizes One marked 'contains fertilizer' in fine print - the other with nothing listed yet according to Brunnings website they are an identical product. If I grabbed the larger pack thinking it was the same I would have bought home fertilizer laced peat.

I also recall seeing photos of identical Brunnings product labels on a forum....One clearly marked as having added fertiliser, the other not - The product labels/colors were identical except for the fine print. The argument arose when somebody posted a package telling people that 'this one is safe.....' and somebody went shopping and found they were not.

Brunnings are also know for producing 'one off' lines for large chains (like Bunnings) that may differ from normally produced lines.

Be very careful when selecting coir peat from gardening stores.....it is great stuff and priced well if you get the right one.....But PLEASE do not purchase off packaging colours or labels seen on the internet.....I have seen first hand that they differ in composition. You need to read the packaging on the item you are buying to be certain.

If my memory is correct (and it may not be...) I think it was that 'Blue' labelled one in your picture that had added fertilizer in the large pack in our local Bunnings....but I am not 100% sure now. It was not as boldly labelled as the yellow one.

You are talking about the 60L blue labels. The used to be exactly the same as the small 9L blue labelled ones and contained no fertilisers. A year or so ago brunnings started putting slow release fertilisers in the 60L packages. Instead of relabelling them they added the slow release fertiliser in small writing, which can be hard to see without closer inspection. The also added the fine print to their website.

In some hardware shop where coir peat has slower turn over you can sometimes find the pre fertiliser packages.

The 9L coir peat blocks with the blue label are still safe and hopefully will remain so. Trust me, I will be the first to post if that becomes not so.

I have used kritters krumble and now use these blocks. I have had really good experiences with them. Look naturals, smells nice and my woma loves digging in it.

You are talking about the 60L blue labels. The used to be exactly the same as the small 9L blue labelled ones and contained no fertilisers. A year or so ago brunnings started putting slow release fertilisers in the 60L packages. Instead of relabelling them they added the slow release fertiliser in small writing, which can be hard to see without closer inspection. The also added the fine print to their website.

In some hardware shop where coir peat has slower turn over you can sometimes find the pre fertiliser packages.

The 9L coir peat blocks with the blue label are still safe and hopefully will remain so. Trust me, I will be the first to post if that becomes not so.

I have used kritters krumble and now use these blocks. I have had really good experiences with them. Look naturals, smells nice and my woma loves digging in it.

Yep....Pretty sure they sound like the ones.

I know some people got caught out with them because they had the same label....but the fine print was different. My last trip to Bunnings was difficult......Half a row of Coir Peats and only one that was fert free....and some had very similar labelling.

You gotta look and check the labels and fine print.

Mine don't seem to mind it....I prefer the finer one that is like 'coffee grinds' over the larger 'bark' looking one - but they both do a fine job.

I'm pretty sure they did it just to confuse us snake people. I bought one block from a local hardware that were the older type and then a few weeks later bought the new type from bunnings. Thought it was the same thing, brought it home and realised it wasn't. At least the garden appreciated it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back