Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also remember Irwin holding a RRB that was dead set intent on ending him. They arn't all so placid.
Are you sure that isn't the footage of the Spotted/Blue belly black snake trying to end him. I've seen countless hours of irwin footage and none of it had a red belly in it.

call me old fasioned but id be a bit skeptical of that yarn LOL
but stranger things have been true,
but not very often:lol:

Are you sure that isn't the footage of the Spotted/Blue belly black snake trying to end him. I've seen countless hours of irwin footage and none of it had a red belly in it.

No, there are two shows with RBB's, one was in the early days when he had long hair, and was with Terri in a camping ground, and the other was a massive RBB on the edge of a dam. Both were very wild snakes and gave him hell.

No, there are two shows with RBB's, one was in the early days when he had long hair, and was with Terri in a camping ground, and the other was a massive RBB on the edge of a dam. Both were very wild snakes and gave him hell.
That scene with the RBBS at the dam was one of the funniest bits of television i've ever seen.

Where can i get this footage of Steve? Would the video shop have it for hire? Whats the video called?
Wouldnt mind seeing him take on a Red belly.... :D
Bill.

Where can i get this footage of Steve? Would the video shop have it for hire? Whats the video called?
Wouldnt mind seeing him take on a Red belly.... :D
Bill.
I wouldnt try too hard to find it. Your not missing much.

Ohh... 40mins ago, you said it was one of the funniest bits of tv you had ever seen... :?

Uncanny story

Uncanny story but believable, generally black snakes are quite docile as long as you don’t upset them & particularly if cold or at least cool & most probably would have been the case if inside the house. A couple of days ago I very gently bagged a 5 foot King brown with a stick & a Hessian bag on a 30 degC day, took a couple of minutes & the snake was quite calm, yet a couple of years ago it took me 20 minutes to bag a absolute wild 6 foot King brown because people had provoked it & it was not a happy chap, in fact it tagged me through the bag.
Also never underestimate the little pythons, the couple of pictures here show 2 wild snakes, in the wild (SW QLD) on a concrete path, the King brown was being observed when a very opportunistic little python bit off more than he could chew, I did not take the photos but I do know that the python eventually went on his way albeit with a few bites to the rear quarter of its body.

Attachments

• Ballera Snake0725a.jpg
    Ballera Snake0725a.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Ballera Snake_0727a.jpg
    Ballera Snake_0727a.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Ballera Snake_0728a.jpg
    Ballera Snake_0728a.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 69
Just a question, (probably a silly one), but when the python digests the RBB, he is digesting venom? Would this not do his insides harm?
Nope venom does damage when it gets into the blood stream. You could drink a litre of venom, and as long as you didn't have any cuts/ulcers in your mouth/digestive tract you'd be just fine.

Enzymes etc in venom may also be denatured by the acid environment of the stomach (enzymes need a fairly narrow pH to function)

I am sceptical of the story - however, believe it is definately possible - many RBBs are very calm, many pythons will have a go at another snake given the opportunity...

...Aspidito - Those a brilliant photos...

Nothing about that story is even surprising. It's not at all uncommon for wild elapids not to bite (some will, don't try it). If someone handled a wild python for 20 minutes without a bite, no one would be surprised, this happens all the time, why is it any different for an elapid, especially a (typically) very docile species of elapid? Children's Pythons will eat other reptiles, that's not at all in question. Where is the bit which people find difficult to believe?

I just think it's amazing that he thought the snake was missing so he had a look around the room and found a 'spare' one, what are the chances of that! Possible, of course, but freaky.

The bit i find hard to believe is that the powerfeeders haven't gotten onto live elapid feeding and of course, pics or it never happened.

i know i also thought so but he described it as being a red belly (withought he even knowing it was one).. the minister even spoke to us all about it in the service and how lucky he was...

I guess if you can believe that the Son Of God was given birth to by a virgin in a barn ....then
you can believe that an Antaresia ate a RBB .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back