Murray Darling Carpet Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_boy2251

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a MD who is about 1-2kg and has for the last four months has only eaten weaner rats or fuzzies every few weeks he has shed hasn't go mites he has sufficent heat i have no clue why he won't eat his usual large rats can anyone help me.:( and if it helps he has a female MD in with him who is eating fine.
cheers Jordan

Last edited:
ive had the same problem with my pair of stimmis, he wasnt eating at all. ive taken him out in his own enclosure and he is eating weekly now. never knew why tho.

IMO he's going off his food to get in shape for mating. Having him in with a female is a dead give away, especially at this time of year.

My 7.5 month old MD boy has gone off his food lately too. Nothing has changed in his environment, he ate up until 8/8/12 and shed on 20 or 21/8/12. Tried him on a Pinky Rat again today but to no avail. He's always cruising around at night like he's looking for a mate. But isn't he too young to be having these 'feelings'?

His sister and a Jungle that I have (that I'm pretty sure is a girl as well) have kept on feeding regardless of the Season. Conditions are the same for all three.

Must just be a male thing.

Males get lazy in winter;) try leaving the rat in for a few hours to let him eat when he feels like it, that's how I got my new juvi coastal to eat, after wasting 3mice, but I let him do it when he was ready

I normally do leave the food item in there for a few hours or overnight even (right in front of him or on top of him). He used to take them for the most part without any problems but has refused all of a sudden. He used to be on Fuzzy Mice but I mistakenly chucked a Pinky Rat in for him once which he took.

I might try a Weaner Mouse next feed and see what happens... Surely they can't go off Rats once you've switched them?

His sister is about twice the size of him. I'm upping her to Adult Mice once she sheds again. She had a period of about a month where I tired her on Rats to no avail then as soon as I put a Fuzzy Mouse in front of her. Bam.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back