my darwin thinks he is a water python!! 9should i be concerned0

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelly68

Reaction score
well thats what it looks like... should i be concerned that he spends so much time in his water bowl?? everytime i see him he is in the water dish..
cheers
shelly

A) Enclosure could be too hot
B) Quite possible it has mites (they lay in water to drown the mites)
C) If only recent it could be coming up to a shed
D) It may just really like the water

have checked for mites always do but cant see anything, then have never seen mites on snake before so maybe i am not looking right... will get hubby to check tonight..... its only recent so am thinking its the warmer weather..... temps in enclosure are what is recommended so cant see why it would be to warm in there... he could be due for another shed, off top of me head i think he shed about 6or so weeks ago but will double check that..... he is only a yearling..
cheers
shelly

look in the water bowl for little black thigns and on him for little white things (poo)
also make his substrate paper towel so that any black things you will be able to see easy, if you do see one pick it up and squish it between your finger and if blood comes out you have a mite problem. also if you do have mites pick up some orange medic and top of decent the oragnge medic if you want to keep your piece of wood chuck it in a bath and put about 1 3rd of the bottle depending on what one you get there is one which is concertraded and one that isnt for this you want the concerntrated one.

just add some more every 2nd day and a bit more water and stir i did this for a while and put it in, also use the top of decent spray in the cage and just read the instructions. i also sprayed the piece of wood with it. havent seen them since.

i think sometimes they just enjoy a soak. everynow and then my olives will hav a soak and so will the diamond. but i have never ever seen the carpets, bredlis or jungles soak. weird. lol
my male olive soaks almost every day leading up to a shed and then wont touch the water bowl again unless its for a drink until his next shed.
attached is a pic of my boy having a soak :) gotta luv it.
cheers
mel

Attachments

• 261009 072.jpg
    261009 072.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 86
The majority of my snakes soak in their water bowls on occassion but not real often (carpets, bhp's, antaresia, etc) however I have never once seen any of my water pythons soak...only time I ever see them near their bowls is for a drink.

My 10 month old coastal carpet seems to love to soak as well. He's been in the water bowl for the best part of this week, including before, during and straight after his feed on Monday. I can't see any mites either and since he's my one and only I don't know where the mites would miraculously appear from anyway...? Last time he soaked for a few days I thought he might shed but didn't. maybe he will this time...or he's feeling the heat (sometimes I have to take the heat mat right away when I've only had about 1cm under the hide end and it's got to 34-35! We just moved to a new house and I think the room gets warm during the day so have been taking the heat mat out in the day and just putting it under a little of an evening)...or he just loves the water?

My 10 month old coastal carpet seems to like a soak as well. I haven't seen any mites (I don't know how they'd get in when he's my one and only...?) and last time he soaked for a few days I thought he might shed but didn't. He's been in the water for a few days again now, including before, during and after his Monday feed.

Darwin -like water

Do not be concerned,
One of my 2 yr old Darwins likes to get in water container and the other one (2 yr old )does not soak ,at all.
You know that it is normal for some Darwins,
I even turned heat off -(Brisbane room temp is some times 30 c) and he still is in water ,has done it for the last 2 yrs,
My other pythons ;like Jungles and carpets in same room never soak .
it depends on day and humidity in Brisbane -and they just like water.
no mite here at all in water containers, it is a naturat way they cool off but as I said i have seen darwin in water at 25c, that is not too hot by any means.

hope the pic works, here is fred having a soak...

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 57
as i said i checked everything for mites and couldnt see any.. will get hubby to have closer look just for reassurance... but i just think he likes it....
thanks all for your advice....
cheers
shelly

when i had a water python when he got large i would fill up the bath about 15 cm high with room temp water and the bloody water python would spend hours and refuse to get out. he spent most of his time in the water, and he even ate in the water.

haha
sounds cute...
we let ours have a play in the spa, fill it up about 10-15cms and they love it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back