Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forensick

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a lizard, but i am unsure as to which type i should get.
i really like water dragons, but.... i don't exactly have the space for like an 8 foot tank.
i do really like the "jungle" looking tanks with the large amount of water at the bottom, rock wall at the back, lots of green.
so i am wondering if you guys could recomend a lizard...
(something that will do fine in a 3-4foot tank.

cheers

i didnt think beardies were that into water?

how big do they get...
how many could i keep in a 3-4foot tank?

Depending on where you live, it's likely that you'll need a reptile keeper's licence. Check with your state government, and get a list of animals that you'd be allowed to keep on a beginner's licence. If you live in the ACT, you are allowed to keep bearded dragons, shinglebacks and bluetongues without a licence. If I were to keep a larger lizard, I'd go for a bearded dragon, they are real characters. :)

if you want a watery tank, get a green tree frog, or if you are willing to ditch the water but still wanna keep the green get a southern angle headed dragon, beardies dont suit the sort of setup you want

eh, not really a fan of the frogs... (i though of it)

is it possible to do it with like a "pond" setup in the tank at the cooler end?
the care sheets said they like to soak

nah, the only things that will like the amount of water you want are gft and ewds, just get rid of the water and get a southern angle headed dragon

nah, beardies dont like wet conditions,....that was just a suggestion fro the amount of space u have.

mine are 44 and 49cms long, (including tails) they can get up to 60cms.

beardies are cool....

b ut i have never really seen a "pretty" enclosure

---i like it to look pretty, seeing as they take prime positions in my lounge

If you want an enclosure which has a water based feature, then have a look at some Eastern Water Dragons.

Keep in mind, any enclosure with water in it has its fair share of upkeep.

in his first post he stated he doesnt have to room for an adult water dragon

yeah, i don't think a lizard that can grow to a metre long (incl tail) would be happy in a 4 foot tank...

i decided on the southern angle head, then went to print out my licence stuff, and it is on the advanced licence! yay :cry:

so i think i'll go the beardie.... on the bright side, least the enclosure will be cheaper.

however,
in setting the tank up, can i make it LOOK jungley, but still make it suitable for the beardie?
or is that just pushing it to far?

go for one of the smaller dragons, beats beardies on looks, get some central netteds, they can be picked up very cheap

Mate you can make the enclosure LOOK however you like - the large amount of water was the only problem with your previous idea...

some of those smaller dragons only live for a couple of years....
thats no good for me...
pets dying always hits me very hard

i think centrals can live 6-7years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back