My Juvenile Marble Children’s Python won’t eat!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maub22

Apricot's Mum 🐍
Reaction score
Hi first time owner here. my 4 month marble children’s python isn’t interested in his food. His last feed was a pinkie, on 8/3/24 by the seller, and then was shipped to me 13/3/24.
I’ve tried feeding every 3-5 days since, pinching the tips and braining the pinky and then warming up in warm water. But he sniffs then moves away.

He’s currently in a 7L sistema click clack with two hides, and a hollow branch. He also has two fake plants to hide under. His water dish is a good size for him to crawl into too.

I live in the NT, and ambient temps inside when fans and aircon is off is quite warm.
Heat mat sits around 31-33 and humidity is anywhere between 67-75%.
I’ve read elsewhere that the temps have a lot to do with feeds and sheds, what can I do/adjust to get him to eat?

He’s quite active, always exploring and hasn’t launched at me yet. So he’s a pretty chill guy. When should I be worried?

Edit: I’m a newbie so please any kind advice will be great! Ty
IMG_0347.jpeg

Attachments

• C5D49DC0-DBAF-44E3-B39F-F0D5A9443EFE.jpeg
    C5D49DC0-DBAF-44E3-B39F-F0D5A9443EFE.jpeg
    817.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0276.png
    IMG_0276.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
I'm not saying you should do this, just wanted to share my experience....

When I got my snake he was 4 months old. He ate once after we got him and then didn't eat for 6 months. He was housed poorly due to misinformation given to me regarding the best way to set him up. Long story short the guys on here put me onto a setup similar to what you have, just with a few modifications....

Firstly my hides were far smaller. I ended up with super small cardboard boxes cut with a small hole for him to get through. The smaller the better as they don't like a hide that's too large. I only had one hide as well, no foliage and just a small drinking container- that's it. I ended up blacking out the sides and top completely ( my own choice) to make it really dark. I didn't disturb him for about a week then fed him and he begun eating again after a 6 month fast. I didn't handle him whatsoever until he'd had about 5 feeds.

He fed consistently then for about 6 months before fasting again for about 5 from memory. I think that's just his way because once he began eating again he ate for another 6 months before stopping again this February. I suspect he won't eat again til maybe August.

I think the biggest thing you will maybe need to do is put him in a low traffic area in a darkened room or something and DONT bother him for a good amount of time. The only interaction should be to change the paper and change his water. When doing that use a hook and don't even touch him. Keep interaction to a minimum. Check temps with a temp gun don't just rely on your thermostat. Make sure the cool end is infact cooler as well.

Good luck 🤞

i would give it a couple weeks of:
no feeding attempts
no handling attempts or interacting (just leave her alone)
cover half her tub with a teatowel to give extra sense of security and darkness

you dont really need a 2nd hide on the cool end, paper towel is probably one of the best flooring to use for a young/"nervous" snake, the snake can get under the sheet and feel super secure and snug.

your hides do look a little bit on the larger side. I would recommend a bunnings plastic black planter for the hot and and remove the other hide all together (or get another saucer)

Black saucer- bunnings

heres a really basic design (not to scale)

8TCLEBt.png

Last edited:
i would give it a couple weeks of:
no feeding attempts
no handling attempts or interacting (just leave her alone)
cover half her tub with a teatowel to give extra sense of security
Far more succinct than my response 😅

Maub, definitely do this ^^ and you will have success.

This is fantastic! Thank you both for your advice.

I appreciate the little diagram!

I’m going to give the tea towel cover a go and really leave him alone, only when changing water and paper towel.

I ended removing foliage, extra hide, wood hollow, and random rock I had in there.

I’ll try handling with a hook as well and let you know on this thread how everything goes :)

This is fantastic! Thank you both for your advice.

I appreciate the little diagram!

I’m going to give the tea towel cover a go and really leave him alone, only when changing water and paper towel.

I ended removing foliage, extra hide, wood hollow, and random rock I had in there.

I’ll try handling with a hook as well and let you know on this thread how everything goes :)
Keep us posted and try not to stress. I know the feeling. They are very hardy animals though and like I said mine did not eat for 6 months 😳

Obviously you'd rather he did eat, but just trying to get the point across that he will be okay if he goes on strike for a bit. I think once you fine tune a few things and do as suggested you will have success. Good luck

Back