my self control = absent

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow they are stunning!! Where do you get such nice ones?! The ones at pet stores always seem kinda tired looking...

Are you really supposed to keep them in those tiny bowls?

Wow they are stunning!! Where do you get such nice ones?! The ones at pet stores always seem kinda tired looking...

Are you really supposed to keep them in those tiny bowls?

Yeh I had an awsome looking beta when I was 16 and never really found good ones since. Not that i am headed down that road but I have had a few aquariums and always have a soft spot for the beta's, it's mainly the territorial thing that kept me away from them.

Looks like he's building a bubble nest. Maybe it is time for a mate.

Both of my bettas build nests, its just a sign that they're happy. I really dont think i could breed my multicoloured CT boy because he's so aggressive, I think he'd kill a female.

Usually the bettas in petstores seem so 'tired' and kind of 'sad' because theyre in such small containers or cups, and because the water is very rarely changed if at all while theyre there... This new boy (the purple one) was like that, but I recognised his potential and now he's much happier. They seem to LOVE to swim- i used to have casper in a 5L bowl but then upgraded him to a 10L and since then he's blown more bubble nests, swims a lot more, is active, healthy, investigates everything etc. To me thats enough proof that they like their space... so in two weeks my two will be sharing a 40L tank (divided, of course, so they cant see or get to each other)

They don't move around because they give them no heat. They are actually warm water fish and need a heater like a tropical tank, they arent goldfish.

Love that last photo shadow!

Forgot to mention the heat as well, thanks vixen :) In an airconditioned petstore its too cold for them, so like with herps they become less active. My guys get a heater when it cools down, though they dont need it at the moment, so long as theyre not in aircon :)

So what would the ideal setup be? 10 litre tank, with some heat? What is the easiest way to heat a tank?

They recommend a bare minimum of 2.5gallons/about 10L per fish. for my 10L tank I've got a 25watt fully submersible heater that I just hide behind some plants, and I use a digital thermometer to keep an eye on teh temperature. They like to rest in live plants, and my two love swiming into rock caves etc... Casper often swims into an ornament thats like an old scubadiving mask, where he goes in the front 'face' opening and pokes his head out the top to look around. I've also got the smallest filter from bigW to filter his tank, but to reduce the current and make it less direct I sewed part of a stocking over the spray bar, as bettas hate currents. (dont get the corner filters, theyre even dodgyer than mine!) They do need regular water changes to keep them clean and healthy :)

So heater, recomended minimum 10L tank, 25watt heater for when the temps get too low, digital thermometer, live plants OR silk plants (plastic ones arent advisable; theyre prone to tearing the bettas fins, and theyve done it to my boy before) gravel, a cave/ornament to hide in, filter to make life easier. Sounds like a lot but its actually not too bad :) cost me about $40 total to set up up

You can buy really small heaters for tanks less than a litre! I think they make filters with heaters as well now but I guess if one breaks down the whole unit is useless unless you spend good money on one with parts that can be replaced, but a bit much for one or even a couple fish. Heaters last a while anyway, longer than filters. If you actually don't know what they look like they are a sealed test tube with an element inside, and vary in size depending on the wattage.

How would you regulate the temp. By the time you buy the mat and thrermostat it would be much cheeper and compact to buy the proper heater, they're not expensive.

Hey, if he is happy, he might be happier with a female:D or three

Last edited:
Haha I'd love to breed them, I really would, but what would I do with the babies? I wouldn't give them to petstores because I don't think they should be allowed to sell any animals, and how else would I find them homes? lol, rehoming them is the only reason I haven't spawned them yet! (that and I don't have a female... yet...)

In regard to the heat mat idea, personally I wouldn't as you cant regulate the temperature, at least I wouldn't know how you would. The heater I've got for caspers 10L tank is $12, fully submersible and will last for ages (see here, this is the one I have). Also I wouldn't recommend the filters with inbuilt heaters, I've heard a lot of bad things about them e.g. breaking down, thermostat not working properly etc.

Thanks for the kind words bredlislave :D

Here's a few pics of "Ruffles", got him a few weeks back now, ct boy:

Ruffles2.jpg

Ruffles3.jpg

Ruffles4.jpg

Ruffles1.jpg

absolutly amazing there mate thats just an amazing fish.

in referance to self control im about to buy a bhp on impulse so a 10 or 15 dollar purchace in comparison to $695 is some pretty decent self control (help i cant stop buying snakes)

I suppose I'm a bit better than then I spose :) Going to another store with bettas today to pick up gear for the air tubes... wonder if I'll be able to stay away.. I want a CT female now!

nice boy python!

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind comments :D Self-control still absent though... lol

Meet Thrasher and Bubbles :p

Thrasher3.jpg

Bubbles1.jpg

Love bettas. Not a fan of how most people keep them though. I've had both male and females, now i'm sticking with a few females in a community tank, don't have very recent pictures but here's a few older ones. Such personality.

Below; My current tank, bit different now.
My blue female betta who i still have, she's a big girl. Been with me about two years now.
My first ever male fighter Kevin - died of bloat thanks to my lack of knowledge, I so over fed him.
Young striped blue female betta, still with me.
Yellow female betta, biggest girl i have, she's the boss. Has her about two years aswell.

Attachments

• Fish Tank.png
    Fish Tank.png
    698.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Blue female betta.png
    Blue female betta.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 33
  • RIP Kev.PNG
    RIP Kev.PNG
    692.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Blue striped betta.PNG
    Blue striped betta.PNG
    541 KB · Views: 30
  • Yellow alpha.PNG
    Yellow alpha.PNG
    487.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
And winston! Had him for two years, he died, i'm not sure what he died of, might have just been his time.

Attachments

• RIP Winston.png
    RIP Winston.png
    515.3 KB · Views: 35
WOW!!! Great Bettas everyone! Now I'm jealous..my goldfish are looking real dull atm!

Gravitation, I LOVE your setup, that's how I reckon they should be kept! You could even have two small tanks like that side by side so two males can see each other and display. Well done! Your females are beautiful.

WOW!!! Great Bettas everyone! Now I'm jealous..my goldfish are looking real dull atm!

Gravitation, I LOVE your setup, that's how I reckon they should be kept! You could even have two small tanks like that side by side so two males can see each other and display. Well done! Your females are beautiful.

Thanks : D I like it too, the live plants make it. Seeing the difference in keeping bettas in small tanks - unheated and then seeing them heated with room you would swear they were a totally different fish, SO much better off, so much happier, i don't know how this tiny tank mumbo jumbo got so far.

Right now i'm keeping six females in a community tank with a few other species. I want to take some more pictures soon.

Little tiny baby female betta whom i felt sorry for when i went to a petstore to get some substrate.
She's so little and sweet, was getting picked on by her tank mates so i had to bring her home. Then there is my big yellow female again looking a bit dull there though, she's coloured up nicely.

She's a slow eater, has grown now though, bit more colourful.
Think i will take some new pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

• Rescued baby betta.jpg
    Rescued baby betta.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 24
  • Yellow betta.PNG
    Yellow betta.PNG
    609.2 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back