Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! When did that change? Must be very recent! Very interesting as it is the first I have heard of the change.
Paul

Paul what they give you as a "list" when you apply for a license does not equal the species code.

Carpet python M. s. variegata 2969
Diamond python M. s. spilota 2968
Centralian carpet python M. Bredli 2623

So on the application the make it look that they consider them as one and the same but if you go by the species code they actually don't. Coastals, Darwins, Inland and Jungles are all Carpet pythons code no 2969 but Diamonds are on a seperate species code number....

Last edited:
Paul what they give you as a "list" when you apply for a license does not equal the species code.

Carpet python M. s. variegata 2969
Diamond python M. S. spilota 2968
Centralian carpet python M. Bredli 2623

So on the application the make it look that they consider them as on and the same but if you go by the species code they actually don't. Coastals, Darwins, Inland and Jungles are all Carpet pythons code no 2969 but Diamonds are on a seperate species code number....
Damn I wanted a Diamond x Jungle!

I would like to see them try to stop it. Can't see how they can police it though. I was disappointed to see all the codes for crossbreeds go into the species lists. But then, if I recall correctly, I thought the carpet pythons were now considered one whole species, not separated as once thought. There was talk that all Morelia spilota were being re-classified as one whole species group. I see the current list still has them listed separately but to cross say a jungle to a diamond, would no longer be considered hybridisation. Please correct me if I have crossed my wires with something else, and I am still trying to find where I read this from.

Bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. lol

That's it, except they have let the whole herd out.

I.... but i have seen a few cross's and i think some are ugly lol...

Poor animal. ITs not their fault, but they will be the ones to suffer because nobody wants to love them.

I would have thought crossed sub-species phenotypes would be undetectable. ???

I guess it would be the same as dogs, for example. To cross one breed to another happens but it isn't hybridisation since they are all dogs. But unless you're working on a "designer" project such as the jaguars, why would ppl want to cross them? It defects their pure quality. Jungles won't be brilliant, diamonds become more like carpets, I don't see the point of crossbreeding the different locality carpets

Last edited:
So on the application the make it look that they consider them as one and the same but if you go by the species code they actually don't. Coastals, Darwins, Inland and Jungles are all Carpet pythons code no 2969 but Diamonds are on a seperate species code number..
What the actual ..... that doesn't even reflect their true taxonomy at all........ that's literally calling two species that are the same different while at the same time lumping two (or three in some peoples opinions) different species as the same.

But unless you're working on a "designer" project such as the jaguars, why would ppl want to cross them? It defects their pure quality. Jungles won't be brilliant, diamonds become more like carpets, I don't see the point of crossbreeding the different locality carpets

It has been happening since snakes were kept, sometimes out of lazyness, people just keeping a group of various pythons together and if they have babies selling them as "Pet Pythons" = Morelia sp.. and others specifically targetting (hoping) for something different...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back