Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Boy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody keeps australian natives such as barra seratoga pearch etc.

would love to see some photos of setups

Cheers

Damien

Yep I have been keeping Aussie natives for a while now. Over the years had a number of different species, archer fish, freshwater mullet, sleepy cod, various rainbows, various gudgeons, various catfish etc. Was even breeding Purple Spotted Gudgeon for a while.

Currently have Purple Spotted Gudgeon, Empire Gudgeon, & a couple of large Snakehead Gudgeon (sleepy cod pics below are old, but I love em so...)

100_0742.jpg

100_0752.jpg

100_0756.jpg

10021703.jpg

10021701.jpg

10021707.jpg

I have snakehead gudgeons, salmontail cats, tarpon, silver scat and sleepy cod at the moment. No photos though as I am too lazy.

Nice rainbows Michael, do you also get Jungle Perch locally?

Tsubakai, do you give the sleepy cod feeder fish? Does it change colour when hunting? (refer my pics above, the pic with the sandy back it was stalking some small barbs). I was wondering if this is a typical trait or maybe not all of them do it. Mine only ever lit up when stalking fish, never with other foods like worms, grubs, or crickets.

Will have silver perch, rainbow trout & yabbies as soon as I set my aquaponics tank up.
Only difference is I will be raising them to eat :)

Will have silver perch, rainbow trout & yabbies as soon as I set my aquaponics tank up.
Only difference is I will be raising them to eat :)
Let me know when you have excess yabbies, Chondro, happy to pick em up ;)

I used to keep quite a few natives, not any more though as I sold my six foot tank... Many of them are extremely interesting however. Probably the coolest thing I ever had was a brackish set up with a bar tailed flathead, a moses perch, a small bullrout, a frogfish and a snakehead gudgeon. Also have kept all sorts of grunter, murray cod, bass, monos, archers, scats, eels, and the most recent one (before selling the tank) was a large mangrove jack...

i remember some one having barra in a pool was that you slimey

Yes - a 3.6m diameter pool :)

They grew quickly and were quite happy - but..... An issue occured, and they died on a very hot November's day.... Sad :(

I used to keep quite a few natives, not any more though as I sold my six foot tank... Many of them are extremely interesting however. Probably the coolest thing I ever had was a brackish set up with a bar tailed flathead, a moses perch, a small bullrout, a frogfish and a snakehead gudgeon. Also have kept all sorts of grunter, murray cod, bass, monos, archers, scats, eels, and the most recent one (before selling the tank) was a large mangrove jack...

I tried as hard as I could to get some archers.... but it wasn't that easy :(

So I then tried for the scats... same thing... I ended up with a toad fish or two though - they were funny... I even tried garfish as well....

I still would love archer fish - any ideas on the best way to keep them?

Thousands of fingerlings would soon turn to a couple of hundred chondro canablistic little bastards

I still would love archer fish - any ideas on the best way to keep them?

They're not too hard to keep but get them from 100% freshwater, not from brackish. I caught some at Little River near Croydon (you don't have to go that far) and they did quite well in a large tank. Some shops in Cairns are selling them, I think the Ultimate Aquariums in Hoar St. have them from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back