Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why I'd start off with so many.
If I had the room & heating sorted I'd do it. They are fast growing and I have heard reach plate size at 6 months.
I could harvest 1/2 for myself (prob last me a year lol) and still grow plenty up to big weight for later.

i have a bass. quite a cool fish. my tank was looking awesome with native weeds from the creek and that in the tank so it was real dense and weeds growing on a rock. but i gave it a bit of a trim and is growing back fast .i had about 15 -20 little native fish from the creek about 2cm long. two weeks from him being in there. 1 left. there is one left because it is too big for him to eat. also i get lots of freshwater shrimp from the creek and he demolishes them. the creek is freshwater just to let you know. awesome array of fish in their. bass, perch, mullet little natives. also ewd's, kreffts river turtles, eastern bearded dragons. beardies around the creek. not so common though

great for snorkleing. it is a really smalll creak but about 2 m deep. good fun looking at turtles and ewd's underwater and seeing how many fish there are. will blow peoples minds

btw for people that are interested where this is. currumbin valley

I tried as hard as I could to get some archers.... but it wasn't that easy :(

So I then tried for the scats... same thing... I ended up with a toad fish or two though - they were funny... I even tried garfish as well....

I still would love archer fish - any ideas on the best way to keep them?

Yeah, they're pretty easy. As said before, try to get the pure fresh water ones, as the brackish ones seem very prone to various fungal and bacterial infections. From there its basically a case of regular maintainence and a half decent diet. I used to keep the water lever about a quarter down with mine so that I could get them easily jumping and spitting for food. Also, even with the fully fresh water ones I found a bit of salt (around 4g per liter) helped keep them extremely healthy

Also, even with the fully fresh water ones I found a bit of salt (around 4g per liter) helped keep them extremely healthy

Good idea but make sure you use an aquarium salt not the supermarket stuff.

Nice rainbows Michael, do you also get Jungle Perch locally?

Tsubakai, do you give the sleepy cod feeder fish? Does it change colour when hunting? (refer my pics above, the pic with the sandy back it was stalking some small barbs). I was wondering if this is a typical trait or maybe not all of them do it. Mine only ever lit up when stalking fish, never with other foods like worms, grubs, or crickets.

No feeder fish for him for a couple of years now but he will change colour to match his background (when in a bucket during a tank change) I think most of them will do the colour change when they are trying to blend in or stressed.

He mostly eats pellets, prawns and defrosted whitebait. Don't see him much at all as he's got a fake croc skull that he loves hiding in.

Archer Fish - I'll wait till I can get a half decent tank - my 4 footer is only skinny and shallow - I saw a decent tank and set up for $1000 - but I just don't have that cash at the mo.

I like the 'simple' fish as well.

But as for natives - I'm going to ask it:

Is it legal to catch native fish and stock your aquarium with them?

I have kept heaps of differant species over the years(over 40 but not willing to list them all), currently i only have bullrout, purple spotted gudgeons and a crimson spotted rainbow in tanks. Im really bad at taking fish photos so dont have many pics.

A few of my favourites are
Angler Fish (saltwater)
Archer Fish
Sleepy Cod
Murray Cod
Northern Saratoga
Banded Grunter
Spangled Perch
Barra
eels

Archer Fish - I'll wait till I can get a half decent tank - my 4 footer is only skinny and shallow - I saw a decent tank and set up for $1000 - but I just don't have that cash at the mo.

I like the 'simple' fish as well.

As far as I know as long as you dont break any size regs and dont collect them for commercial gain, you should be safe. I have had wild Mangrove Jacks and Bream in tanks a while back, its a good way to end up with a broken tank as wild ones that are legal size are totally not used to people and go nuts when they see you.

Yes, you just have to follow fishing laws, this rules out catching many larger species at a small size (once you get them home you can just say you didnt catch them;)). In Qld many common aquarium species have a bag limit of 20, unlisted species have no limits. Differant states have differant laws, but they would all be on the internet.

I have kept heaps of differant species over the years(over 40 but not willing to list them all), currently i only have bullrout, purple spotted gudgeons and a crimson spotted rainbow in tanks. Im really bad at taking fish photos so dont have many pics.

A few of my favourites are
Angler Fish (saltwater)
Archer Fish
Sleepy Cod
Murray Cod
Northern Saratoga
Banded Grunter
Spangled Perch
Barra
eels

Finally someone else who appreciates the angler! I've had a few of these guys myself, even had a pair spawn once. They rule!!!

Finally someone else who appreciates the angler! I've had a few of these guys myself, even had a pair spawn once. They rule!!!

Do you know where i could get one? I think the lack of appreciation is due to ignorance, many think the only live in the deep sea (i did too, untill one of my mates caught one in water 1' deep).

Don't see him much at all as he's got a fake croc skull that he loves hiding in.
That's a bit different to the one I had, a few hiding places but remained quite active. Or at least was out in full view even if just sitting there. Another thing I noticed it did when stalking fish was, if it was on the gravel, it would push itself slowly along with its pelvic fins rather than move it's tail or pectorals & give itself away.

As mentioned, yes subject to local fishing regulations. Also keep in mind the location of collection, that it is not a national park, or sanctuary or protected zone.

Do you know where i could get one? I think the lack of appreciation is due to ignorance, many think the only live in the deep sea (i did too, untill one of my mates caught one in water 1' deep).
A recent photo gallery on the Sydney Morning Herald website had a great looking angler fish picture (at the end of the gallery). So they're in the harbour....although good luck finding them, their camo is as good as a leaf tail gecko!

Sydney Harbour's underwater treasures

Um, I've found them at Pet City in Mt Gravatt and Aquarama at Stafford so far. Wonderfish might be able to get them too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back