need HELP!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lachie123

Reaction score
Hey all, i have a 14mo old stimmie(coral) she is in a 600x400x500 enclosure, mainly wooden with flexiglas sides and front doors. i have a vent on both sides and a heatmat under 1/3 of the tank. i am new to all this and am wondering if i should add in some sort of heat globe/lamp/basking light or whatever(so confusing..). Apparently that would make it come out more! :)
few questions;
- would, say a 50w infrared globe inside with a cage around it running during the day along with the heatmat going 24/7 be good?
- what is a good thermostat to get? and can thermostats control 2 heat sources? e.g infrared lamp and heatmat.
ill add some pictures. ANY HELP APPRICIATED, IM KINDA FRUSTRATED :(
IMG_8332.jpgIMG_8331.jpgIMG_8330.jpg

arnt they nocturnal

Yep, indeed they are! You've got a snake that will probably never bask like a Carpet python will do, so just get used to the fact that it will likely move around only at night.

Jamie

I have a heat lamp for my spotted and find her activity did not increase as to when I was not using one.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Nope they dont need the lights. I only have them on a few hours at night and turn them off at about 730.

if you have a heat mat and it is setup with a thermostat then really that is all you need.
I don't use lights or heating at all other than my heatmats for my snakes.

okay cool, so a heat pad with a thermonstat set at like 31 with the probe in the middle of the tank is all i need?

okay cool, so a heat pad with a thermonstat set at like 31 with the probe in the middle of the tank is all i need?
the thermostat is set at 35 degrees. she is sitting in the hide all day every day? it this normal for a stimson python and when i go to handle her she snaps at me

Last edited by a moderator:
She would be coming out at night for a drink and what not when you arent awake. Snappy - maybe shes hungry? When was her last feed? Maybe shes coming up for a shed? She might be scared. How long have you had her? Also is the hide over the heat matt? She is probably just keeping warm

She would be coming out at night for a drink and what not when you arent awake. Snappy - maybe shes hungry? When was her last feed? Maybe shes coming up for a shed? She might be scared. How long have you had her? Also is the hide over the heat matt? She is probably just keeping warm

thanks for the reply. the heat mat covers 1/3 of the tank on the right side and the hide is ontop of it ive had her about a year, but the thermostat prob is right near the hide and its at 35, shouldnt the tank be warm enough for her to come out more

thanks for the reply. the heat mat covers 1/3 of the tank on the right side and the hide is ontop of it ive had her about a year, but the thermostat prob is right near the hide and its at 35, shouldnt the tank be warm enough for her to come out more

Like some one said up their, she is nocturnal so will only come out at night (unless she is moving to cool side visa versa).

Like some one said up their, she is nocturnal so will only come out at night (unless she is moving to cool side visa versa).
ah okay, is it okay to have the thermostat wire for the prob hanging down the back wall? and should i have the probe above the substrate near the hide

None of my heat mats will heat an enclosure...I use them as an area for my snake to lay on and absorb warmth so I put the thermostat probe on the heated surface and adjust from there - after all the surface that the snake is laying on is the surface you want the temp to be correct in right?

You are best to use an IR thermometer to measure the heat surface and adjust the thermostat accordingly - often the temp required on the thermostat is out by a few degrees to that on the heated surface.

If I were to put my thermo probe halfway up the tank wall set at 35c, I would get a surface temp of over 45c and the probe will not get heated by the mat halfway up the enclosure and will give full power to the mat thinking that it is too cold - resulting in excessive surface temps (which is what the snake is feeling when it lays on it).

In my experience it is a good idea to place the thermo probe as close to the mat as possible on the surface the snake is sitting on, that way you know the temp that your snake is experiencing......Others may do it differently, but this has worked great for me.

Shes nocturnal shes not really going to come out more.

Because mine doesn't leave his hide and that is where he spends 50% of his time, I have the thermostat probe in his hide sitting on the substate. How old is yours?

Mines about 18 months actually shes probably closer to 20 months now. I catch her out every so often when she goes for a drink or she pokes her head out when shes hungry. Other than that i dont see her.

Mine only comes out late afternoon and night unless she is hungry. I have put her next to my bed so I can watch her at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back