Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CassieT

Reaction score
Just after some advice :)
What breed of python do you think is a good first python?
What age should i get one at?

I have also been offered a Port Mac python who is 2yo and have been told she is a little flighty but wont bite..she isnt being handled too much at the moment.

Will she settle with more handling?
What do you think of the Port Mac pythons?
Is she too old for what i am looking for?
I was thinking more along the lines of something 4-12 months old...

Advice would be great!
Thank you!

And are males or females better?

Last edited by a moderator:
My first was a spotted python, which are a pretty popular first choice. A couple of years old isn't a bad thing, it generally means they've settled down and are well established at feeding and shedding and handle well if they've had an owner who looked after them well. My spotted was 2 when I bought him, and I chose him over hatchlings purely because I was new to keeping snakes and I wanted an easy snake to look after. As it was, I freaked out over every little thing in the beginning, anyway :)

By Port Mac python do you mean a variety of carpet python?

Thank you for your reply :)
Any advice helps!
She is a port macquarie python which is a natural cross of a diamond and a coastal carpet, i believe.

Depends. Can you go have a look and a hold of the port mac? If you feel comfortable with it and it is what you want that is fine. Quite a few members own Intergrades on here and will be able to give you advice.BUT... It sounds like you need to do quite a bit of research before you commit to a purchase.

To start you have to organise liscences. A suitable enclosure, find a herp vet (just in case), source food (pet shops are rip offs) are also things that need to be done. You may be better off waiting until hatchy season later this year. It will go quickly and will give you some time to think it through and decide what species (not breed) you want. There will be heaps available and so you can be choosey.

In the mean time start your search with these links.

Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Main Page - Aussie Pythons & Snakes

Just after some advice :)
2yo and have been told she is a little flighty but wont bite
Thank you!

Hey welcome to APS :)

There are no guarantees that a snake won't bite with any species or breed, it's just the luck of the draw but most tend to settle with regular age & handling and some species are better known for being either placid or snappy

I chose to get a hatchie as a first snake and don't regret it, it gives you time to learn the personality of your new addition before they can do damage to you... Not to mention that I find half the fun of owning snakes watching them develop and develop their colour with every shed.
Just something to think about.

I chose to get a 3 month old darwin for my first snake, he was obviously handled regurally as he has never bitten me, but bitten other people. I do try and avoid being bitten im a little iffy about it but im not scared of him. If your worried about being bitten, dont be, once you've been bitten by a hatchie you will think why was I even scared. In my personal opinion id go for a darwin as they are a good first snake

My first snake was a diamond python and I would have to say that it was perfect for me... They don't grow too big, they're reluctant to bite (generally of course, there are exceptions to every rule but I've never seen or heard of an agro diamond) and are relatively easy to keep... I went with a hatchy, as they're cute and you can gain experience with them, but a well handled adult or sub adult can be a good place to start as you may feel less scared of hurting them... Best of luck and when you do find your baby, pics please....

I'm all for starting with hatchies but some can can be hard to start feeding so maybe a juvie is the go,but just make sure you do your homework first.

Over here across the pond I always suggest to people to get a colubrid. No matter what species it is they all seem to gave quite an appetite. My Mexican Black Kings eat in shed, totally blue, rats, mice you name it. I've owned my corn for about 5 years, he's skipped one meal. My hognose and rat is the same way, except hognose can be a bit tricky to get feeding. Temp requirements aren't that horrible either. They are all good shedders as well. My woma python is an eating machine. He rivals any colubrid that I own.

I have a variety of snakes, colubrids, boas and pythons. With a bit of work, maybe a tag or two and some patience almost any will snake will tolerate you and others.

Confidence, slow but deliberate movements and good husbandry are keys to owning any reptile.

Do a bit of research, ask questions and most of all enjoy your new addiction.

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back